Part 33

PETER

I stay close to MJ, don't listen to what's going on beside us. I hold her head in my hands and check her wrists to find a heart beat.
For a while I sit with her as Steve does all her can, making a sling from her jacket, but she needs to get to the infirmary.
'Mr.Stark, please, she needs help.' I say, turning to him, tears in my eyes. He looks up at me, unsure how to react to my outburst of emotion.
'Yeah, course kid. I'll send for a car to bring her safely to the compound.' He says, standing up and away from the woman's body lying on the floor.
'I can't...she can't die.' I say quietly, looking down at her. She has grazes all up her side and her left arm is twisted at an unusual angle.
'She'll be okay, kid, I promise.' I stand up and take a step back, getting caught up in my thoughts. Mr.Stark says something else but I don't process it. 'What?' I ask, turning to him.
'Could you tie her up, we don't want any surprises.' He says, pointing to the woman on the floor. And then it hits me. This is the woman who killed Aunt May. This woman shot her, in the heart and in the head and left her bleeding in our kitchen. This woman killed her to hurt me. 'Kid, stand down.' Me.Stark says, recognising the anger in my head.
'She killed May.' I say.
'Stand down, Peter.' He comes up to me and holds me by my shoulders looking into my eyes while I stare straight past at the woman. 'This isn't how we win.'
'I don't care.' I say, trying to move forward, but he holds me back, 'she killed May!' I shout.
'Peter, we've got her. We need to find the second person, she's the only way we can find them. We need her.' He says, attempting to reason with me.
'I don't care! I don't care!' I shout, but he holds tight and he pulls me into a hug and I find myself sobbing into his shoulder.
I don't think about Natasha, Clint and Steve surrounding us, only the woman lying on the floor. Only Aunt May. I cling to Mr.Stark and he rests one hand on my head.
'We got her, kid. I'll make this right.' He says. 'I promise.'