Part 25

DARCY

Somehow I landed a job working at the animal shop down the road and I have to say I think it's the best job I've ever landed. The intern thing was good and I loved working with Jane but I have no clue where she went off to. And meeting Thor was pretty cool. Don't know where he is either though.
I sit crosses legged on the sofa and my two cats come sit on my lap. I take the remote and change the channels.
'Alright guys. Are you ready? For some more Friends!' I look to my cats, 'I don't know what you mean, I hardly ever watch this.' I put some popcorn in my mouth as my stare lingers with the younger cat. I named the first one Thor and the second one Mjolnir. Mjolnir's my favourite. Thor can be a little shit quite a lot of the time, but I love her too.
Just as I get settled the phone rings. I let out a groan and stand up, unsettling my cats.
'Hello?' I ask.
'Darcy! Hi, Tony Stark, I need you to go to the roof of your building.' I pick up another bit of popcorn slowly.
'Tony Stark?' I ask.
'Yes. Not to rush you but there is a little urgency required here.' He says, flustered.
'How do I even get to the roof? Is there a door? Wait is this about Thor? Is he in-' Thor, my cat, runs up to me as I call his name and I lightly push him away, 'is he on Earth again?'
'Not yet. But he will be. And we have reason to think you're in danger so please go to the roof now.' The doorbell rings and I pick up the main bit of the phone so I can walk to the door.
'Hold it. I got someone at the door.' I say.
'Darcy, do not open the door.' He says, his voice suddenly getting very scary.
'Why can't I open the door?' I ask, starting to get worried.
'Do you have a room that locks?' Tony asks.
'My toilet but-'
'Go there, lock the door, I'll be with you soon.' He says, cutting off.
'C'mon guys.' I say picking up my cats and running over to the toilet, but just as I do, the door bursts open, 'Oh Shit!' I say quietly trying to figure out what to do. 'Shit. Shit. Shit.' I hold a cat in each hand and I'm stuck in the kitchen, unable to leave either way without being seen.
'Darcy?' A woman's voice rings out, 'I know you're here.'
Just as she finishes her sentence my kitchen window smashes and IronMan flies through the window arms outstretched ready to shoot.
'Shit!' I shout and duck, hugging my cats to me despite them struggling a lot. I curl up in a corner listening to the sound of more glass shattering and then silence.
IronMan walks back into the room and Tony Stark steps out of his suit.
'You okay?' He asks, holding his hand out to lift me up and then pulling it back when he sees the two freaked out cats.
'Mjolnir pissed on me.' I say, inspecting the cat, 'can you hold Thor for a second. She's aggy but she won't bite you.' I pass him Thor and he reluctantly holds her, too surprised to object.
'You...what?' He asks as I carry Mjolnir to the sink and wash him off.
'So what's the deal? Is Thor good? Is Jane okay?' I ask, turning to Tony as Mjolnir shakes off the water.
'Thor's fine, we can't find Jane.' He says, still distracted. I take Thor from him and let him down on the ground.
'That's probably to do with Thor. Made some thing to stop anyway finding her. Offered to do the same for me but I get lost too much and that Asgard stuff gets rid of Find my IPhone and everything.' I say, sitting down on one of my kitchen chairs.
'Right.' He says, 'Can I just...did you name your cat after Thor?'
'Yeah he loved her so much. He named Mjolnir.' I say, stroking him under his chin.
'So Thor's met these cats?' He asks, looking from one cat to the other.
'Course he has.' I pause and look away from Mjolnir, 'Wait, Sorry, Who was that woman who just came into my flat? Should I be concerned?'
'Oh. Yes.' He says.
'I should be concerned?'
'No! Not what I meant. But kind of. I can explain it on the way. It'd probably be safer for you if you came with me to the avengers compound.' He says, getting back on track.
'Hell yeah!' I say, excited, 'Wait, can I bring my cats?'
'Um. Yes, sure.' He says. I pick Mjolnir up and up him in the closest bag I can find. 'Thor come here you bastard.' I say as I walk round my apartment looking for her. I find her under the sofa so I have to pull her out and put her in the bag. I grab a bag of cat food before I walk back into the kitchen, only to find Tony as he was, still bemused.
'Are you ready?' He asks, snapping out of it.
'Sure am.' I say, holding my bag and cat food. 'Are we walking or...?'
'No! No. There's a jet down the road.' He says.
'Ah, that makes more sense.' I say, 'and my windows, will that be okay?'
'I'll fix that.' He says, 'we just need to leave. Like right now.'
'Cool.' I say, following him out the door and turning off the lights.