Part 19

SHURI

I sit crosses legged in front of my window. It's a big window, stretching from floor to ceiling, wall to wall. I positioned myself in the centre, so if I concentrate hard enough, it seems that there is no building at all, just forest. And if I look further than that, and forget all the things I know about Wakanda, I can pretend I am home. And I can pretend that if I were to just walk a little further into the trees, my kingdom would stand tall before me.
But I am alone here.
My phone rings over and over. I looked the first time to see it was my brother, I ignored it after that.
I'm not crying. Not at all, I don't feel like crying, I don't feel angry, despite knowing that this was someone, this wasn't an accident, I don't feel anything passionately. I feel numb.
I know a part of me longs for that passion, whether it be anger or sorrow, but I cannot find it within myself to get past this numbness.
My mother is dead. I have no parents any more.
My phone rings again and I pick it up on the first ring.
'Shuri.' My brother says, surprised that I've picked up.
'I know.' I say, suddenly tears pricking in my eyes. 'I know.'
'I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry.' He says, over and over. He sounds desperate, 'I'm sorry I'm not with you. I'm sorry.'
'Was it quick, brother?' I ask, trying to remain calm.
'Painless.' He says, 'She was with Nakia. She wasn't alone.'
'Is Nakia okay?' I ask quickly.
'Fine. A blow to the head is all. Her confidence is wrecked and she blames herself, but she is okay.' He says. I cling to the deep, calm sound of his voice. It sounds like home.
'You must be with the people.' I say, wiping the tears from my eyes, 'they will need you.'
'Shuri, I-' he says, preparing to object.
'Give them all my love. Tell them I'll return soon. But I must help end this first.' I say, standing from where I've sat for the last day.
'Shuri, be careful.' He says.
'Always, brother.' I reply. I hang up shortly after and stand still for a moment. I have found my passion again.