Part 32

CLINT

Natasha, Steve and I were chosen for a reason. These people we were up against, two as far as we know, were trained in combat. They didn't have magic powers or some super gun, they had themselves and that was it. Natasha and I could easily match their skills, Natasha being trained in the same way as them, and me through working hundreds of missions beside Natasha.
Steve has the exception of the serum he took, but he still fought the old fashioned way. And he's a fast runner.
Shuri and Tony figured out that there was a certain range where attack was most likely. When MJ left the compound, there was a corner that she would turn to get her out of sight; from there, they calculated the distance it was possible to go before Tony and Peter would catch up with her. If our opposition was going to try anything, it'd be in that section of road.
Steve waits at the corner where MJ will first turn, Natasha sits at the half way point and I sit at the end.  And we wait, each connected via microphones in our ears.
'I hear engine.' Steve's voice comes through, 'get ready.'
'Aye, aye, Captain.' Natasha says.
I look down the road and after a moment, I see MJ speeding by. She keeps coming closer and I start to think that they won't come, they won't take her out, all of this was for nothing.
But then a small arrow spins by hitting MJ in the waist, surely one filled with the paralysis that got Steve. She won't be affected by it, but we told her to act as if she was.
The bike spins sideways and she tumbles to the left. And then a woman in a dark green suit rushes out from somewhere close to where Natasha is meant to be hiding.
'I got eyes, I'm going in.' Natasha says.
'Well, well.' The woman says, still walking towards MJ, unaware of Natasha coming up behind her. I edge closer, just in case she needs me. 'Let's make this quick.'
She holds out her gun, just as Tony flies by with Peter hanging on by his web. The woman looks up just as Natasha tackles her by her legs and spins her round, moving the gun to shoot st the ground.
I run out, as does Steve, and I help hold the woman to the floor as Steve makes sure MJ is okay.
'It's over.' Natasha says to the woman as Tony and Peter land a couple metres away.
'It worked?' Tony asks, surprised.
'We got a situation. She's breathing but not responding. Left arm fractured. She'll survive but we need her out of here.' Steve says as he looks over MJ.
Peter rushes over to her side as Tony kneels down beside the woman and ties her hands up.
The woman starts to laugh and turns to face Tony, 'You got yourself a wife haven't you.' She says in a heavy Russian accent, 'and a bodyguard. You were easy to exploit.' Tony doesn't respond, just continues tying her up. 'Oh, but you,' She says, turning to me, 'you were just as easy. She died protecting her kids at least, they saw how brave she was.' As soon as she mentions my wife, my head swarms with a blood red intensity and I don't process Natasha's hand on my shoulder, all I feel is my hand hitting this woman hard, straight in her nose. Her eyes close and her head falls to one side, breathing but no longer conscious.
'My apologies.' I say as Tony backs of slightly, 'Won't happen again.'