Part 45

CLINT

Everything happens so quickly. It takes me a second to realise the change in control and before I process it, Tony is falling over the side of the building. I find myself moving to the edge of the branch I'm perched on, desperate to do something but unable to do anything but get closer.
And then he stops, not even a metre from the ground, held by a long white web. I look up to see Peter straining to catch Tony and attach him to the building when Iyra spins him round into a position Natasha had taught me years ago. It makes whoever is being held down, unable to break out without seriously harming themselves. The only way they get free is if the one holding them down wants them to.
I hold my arrow up quickly and aim for Iyra's head.
And then, as if she knows my every move, she turns to me and looks in my direction.
'I wouldn't risk it.' She says loud enough for me to hear, 'you were an interesting one. I didn't know how to deal with you. Clint, right?' She asks as she holds Peter down. I hear him letting out involuntary whimpers. When Natasha had taught me the position she'd done it on me and it was excruciatingly painful. 'See now, Natalia is very fond of you. Very fond. It goes against her nature. I'm sure she's told tales of me and Anja. But she was far worse. She's killed more people than she could ever save.'
'I know what she's done.' I shout, despite knowing I should stay silent.
'Then you are a fool for trusting her.' She says, 'When Anja killed your wife, she had wanted to kill your children too. But I told her to wait, to drag it out. Let the children see their mother die, and then let their father slowly lose everything else. Because, after all, you are the one she cares about the most.' Peter has tears in his eyes and sobs as Iyra pulls tighter.
'Let the kid go.' I say. Tony has managed to cut open the web that he dangles in and he tries to see what's going on on the roof.
'But then I lose my upper hand. Right now it's up in the air, does the boy live, does the boy die? You can't know, only I do. And that's why I'm keeping him right where I have him.'
'We have you surrounded. You don't get out of this alive, unless you surrender.' I say, my arrow pointed at her head. The slightest move and I could let go and kill her but she could kill Peter in less than a second.
'You're wrong. There's no way I get out of this alive. I know you're strong, and I know you're smart. I know this ends in death for me because I know surrender isn't an option.' She pauses and thinks, 'and I know you have me surrounded. So now it's a matter of taking out as many people I can and leaving Natalia to suffer as I did.'
The door to the roof is thrown open and I take a sharp intake of breathe as I see Natasha standing there, pistol pointed at Iyra's head.
'Drop the boy.' She says, cold yet emotion seeking through her voice. I know she's started to feel the weight of all the deaths. She feels responsible for this all.
'Alright.' Iyra says moving to the edge of the building. She holds her arm tightly across Peter's neck until he can't breathe and until he passes out. 'I'll drop him.' And she lets Peter fall over the edge of the building.