Part 4

NATASHA

I probably know death better than anyone. And I hate that. But it's what I know. I know how it affects people, how different deaths can provoke different feelings, I can tell the difference between someone who killed a stranger and a friend, in the space of ten seconds. I don't know how, it's just become second nature. And I hate it.
I stand at the bottom of the stairwell, all the people of the building gathered around outside, shooting me annoyed looks. One boy however comes up to me with a piece of paper and pen.
'Hey.' He says, his mum hovering a few feet behind him, a disapproving look in her eyes, 'I drew the avengers. Could you sign it?' He looks around ten years old and I'm stumped. I know I'm not the best role model and I understand the mother's reserved take on it.
'Let's see.' I say, holding out my hand for the piece of paper, 'Hey, this is good.' I say, kind of meaning it. I was expecting stick figures but instead I got characterised versions of everyone. 'You sure you want me to sign it?' I ask, as he smiles up at me.
'Yeah definitely!' He's says handing me a pen. I take it and sing my name, small in the bottom. It's one of the first signatures I've done, most people going straight for Tony or Steve whenever we're together, the rest of the time I stay out of sight, no public appearances. Today I had to use my government position to get everyone out of the building without complaint.
'Are May and Peter Okay?' The boy asks and his mother looks avidly towards me, waiting for my response.
'I...' I trail of and the boy's mum comes towards me.
'They're in the flat above us,' the mum says, 'I've been calling May all day and she hasn't picked up. You came down from the top flat, is everything okay?' Our conversation has perked the interest of others and I can hear the distant wailing of sirens in the distance.
'I need everyone to remain calm,' I say as noise starts to build up, 'it'll become public knowledge soon, but there has been an incident which we need to clear up and until we've seen to it that your homes are safe you'll be put in temporary housing supplied by Stark.' A round of smiles fills the crowd, everyone aware that anything supplied by Tony will be top of the range. Today was the first I'd seen of Peter's apartment and I'd gone through plenty of others in the buildings and they all looked fun down and running on unsanitary. The block was full of single parents, kids fresh out of college and old people who couldn't afford any better. It was hardly a place to live.
Maria steps out of the car, followed by two other agents. The crowd parts to let her through and she follows me through the door and up the stairs.
'So what's the deal?' She asks, the two guys holding back behind us.
'Tony took the kid back to the compound but the body's still here. It was clearly a break in, but a good one. Still not sure how they did it.' I say, still climbing the stairs. The lift was broken and Peter's flat is at the very top.
'So the kid Tony's praising so much is living here?' She asks, as surprised at the conditions as me.
'I know.' I say, 'Tony tried to offer to buy them a better place but May's pretty independent. Plus it's where she lived with her husband before he died.'
'God. And that was Peter's dad?'
'Uncle.' I correct.
'What happened to his parents?' She asks, stopping half way up the stairwell.
'Died when he was eight or nine. Moved in with his parents, uncle died when he was fifteen after he got into the whole superhero thing. May's his last living relative. Sorry, was his last living relative.' I say, and continue walking.
'God.' Is all she can say. We make the rest of the way up in silence.
I open the door without difficulty and lead the three others in. I step into the kitchen to the other side of the room whilst the rest of them stand in the hallway looking in.
'My fingerprints are already here, so it'd be best if you stayed clear for now until forensics can get down here.' I say before anyone can step in.
'And her nephew found her like this?' One of the guys asks from behind.
'Peter. Yes. He's with Tony for now.' I say, looking down at the body.
'Well we'll do our sweep and get back to you ASAP. I'd go check on Tony and the kid, make sure he's got authorisation to temporarily look after the kid. Last thing we need is a lawsuit on our hands.' Maria says.
'Alright. I'll let you know as soon as Peter starts talking.' I say, heading out the door.
'You got a lift back?' Maria asks.
'Tony left me one of his suits. There's a motorcycle down by the front doors that needs returning though.' I say.
'I'll put one of my guys on it.' She says, nodding to me as I walk away.
'Appreciate it.' I say as I leave them behind and step into Tony's waiting suits.