Part 8

STEVE

Tony gets restless easy, so I let him take the wheel for the ride to Queens. He told me it wasn't official business so I'm out of uniform, wearing clothes I'd found in old vintage shops. Some things I like better in the 21st Century but clothes is not one of them.
My shield sits by my feet and I have a gun round my waist for dire situations. Tony wears a suit, two bracelets on each hand so that his Ironman suit is easily accessible.
We've spent most the journey listening to music, whilst I like classical music mostly, both of us can agree on the classic rock of the 80's. I think music's changed for the better.
'So these kids were getting, you think they might be in danger?' I ask, turning down the volume as we start to get closer to Peter's school.
'Well Natasha said if she had wanted to, and I quote, break Peter, she would go for his friends.' He says, but I can't tell how he feels about Natasha's input.
'Well I guess she'd know.' I say, turning to look out the window. 'She told me Shuri was coming?'
'Yeah. I forgot you knew her.' Tony says, turning into the car park.
'She's close with Bucky.' I say in response. We both step out the car and Tony vaulters for a moment. 'You okay?' I ask, stepping over to him.
'Yeah. Yeah, just started to dislike crowds.' He says, looking into the school we're kids filter in and out, 'Stress me out.'
'Just walk fast and don't make eye contact.' I say, patting Tony on the back and leading the way.
People start to recognise us almost immediately. A chorus of, Stark, Captain America, Ironman, Avengers, goes round the school effortlessly. Tony and I walk straight ahead.
'Congrats on the engagement, Ironman!' One girl calls out, smiling as we walk by. Tony turns to her, smiles and nods.
'Wow no way. So are you guys friends again or what?' One boy asks, standing in our path.
'Could you direct us to the principals office, please?' I ask, ignoring his question.
'Why do you need to know?' He asks, persistent.
'Mr.Stark?' A boy asks, walking up to us and standing next to the other boy.
'Sorry kid, we can't hang about.' I say, but he ignores me and stares at Tony.
'Where's Peter? Do you know where he is?' The boy asks, anxious.
'You know Peter?' I ask.
'Yes. And I know about his internship. With you.' He says, staring pointedly at Tony, 'Where is he?'
'Wait...are you Ned?' Tony asks, taken aback.
'Yes. Do you know where Peter is?' He replies.
'He's safe, but we need you and the other girl Peter's close with, her name's Michelle?' Tony asks.
'Oh. MJ. She'll be in English right now.' He says, 'why do you need us?'
'We have reason to think you might be in danger.' I say, taking the reigns as Tony starts to notice the crowd starting to gather.
'Danger?' The boy standing next to Ned chimes in, 'why would they be in danger?'
'None of your business, kid.' Tony says, taking Ned by his shoulder and leading him down the corridor, 'Okay, take us to the girl.'
Ned starts to walk with purpose, just as a bang echoes throughout the school. Weirdly, most of the kids act before Tony or me, there's a short moment of panic before everyone boards themselves into rooms, shut the doors and turn off the lights. I have pushed Tony and Ned against the wall, but nothing more.
The gun shot had come from down the corridor and I turn to Ned who's gone pale.
'That came from the English block.' He says in a quiet voice.
It only takes a second before Tony and I race down the corridor, I at double the speed of him, both of us desperate to stop any further harm coming to anyone.