1

Emily's POV:
   It's been seven days since Alison came back from the "dead". A is dead, everything is finally over. We can all breathe again and live our lives. Alison's dad, Kenneth, has been holding her hostage out of fear. He lets her come over to Spencer's when he knows for a fact Veronica and Peter are home. And he also lets her out in the day, but at night she has to stay in. I feel so bad for her, she just wants her normal life back.
   The girls and I were at Spencer's, but since it was just us, Ali wasn't allowed to come over. I miss her a lot. I miss how it used to be. Now I know it cannot be like that, we've been through everything together. Name it, and we've been through it together. The girls, especially Aria and Hanna, do nothing but ask me how I'm feeling about Alison. I've honestly been keeping my distance since she got back. It's only been seven days, but I've barely talked to her or seen her. I was snapped out of my thoughts when Hanna snapped her fingers in my face.

Hanna: "Hello? Earth to Emily!?"

Emily: "W-what?"

Spencer: "You were really deep in thought there. You okay?"

Emily: "Me? Oh, yeah I'm fine."

Hanna: "She was thinking about Alison."

Emily: "I was not."

Aria: "How do you feel about her?"

Hanna: "Yeah you've been pretty distant with her."

Emily: "I don't see you guys going over there for slumber parties or welcome back gifts."

Spencer: "Yeah that's why we noticed you've been avoiding her."

Aria: "Do you still have feelings for her?"

Emily: "I don't know. I really don't know. But, what I do know is I've been stung by the queen bee before. For years. I'm not sure if I would want to subject myself to that again. And also, guys she JUST got back to town. She's been through a lot and she's really vulnerable right now."

Hanna: "That's a perfect time to make a move and see what's going on."

Emily: "No it's not. She'll react on impulse and do what she thinks she has to do to ensure I'm still around. I don't want to be played with like that again. Alison wouldn't be thinking straight. If she did anything she'd finally come to terms with it and change her mind."

Spencer: "Emily's right guys. Alison's had that habit for awhile. We should all know that by now."

Aria: "I'm sorry we keep pressuring you to talk about it. We just want to make sure you're okay. We know this is hard for you, considering you were the closest one to Alison."

Hanna: "Whatever you decide to do Emily, we're here for you."

Spencer: "Always."

   I smiled and hugged the three girls tightly. I loved them with everything I had. We were interrupted from our lovey dovey moment when Alison called.

Hanna: "Speak of the devil."

   Aria, Spencer, and I glared at her. She put her hands up in defense.

Hanna: "I was joking."

   I giggled and answered the phone as I stepped outside to talk to Alison.

Emily: "Hello?"

Alison: "Hey Em, I'm so sorry to bother you, I'm sure you don't even want to talk to me but my dad is leaving town for three days and Jason is no where to be seen. He can't take me with him because of the police investigation, but he wanted me to see if you'd stay at the house with me for those few days?"

   I sucked in a deep breath and breathed out.

Emily: "Sure. I'll be right over."

   She thanked me and I hung up the phone. I walked back into the living room to see the girls looking my way in confusion. I told them everything and they understood but told me to be careful.
   I grabbed my things and headed next door to Ali's house. I knocked on the door and a few seconds later a smiling blonde opened the door.

Alison: "Hey Em. Come in."

   I placed my over night bag I had ready for Spencer's on Ali's couch. I turned around to see her still smiling with her arms wide open, ready for a hug. I couldn't be rude and leave her hanging, so I hugged her. Her arms wrapped themselves around my waist. My heart fluttered as it sunk to my stomach. I breathed in the vanilla scent of her hair and smiled. No Emily. Stop. You cannot go down that rabbit hole again. I pulled away from her after a few seconds and smiled warmly.
We walked up to the guest room as she helped me unpack and gave me fresh sheets and pillows. She's just like her mother, it's cute. We talked about how she's doing what her next step was. And before I knew it, the question popped up.

Alison: "I don't mean to sound so blunt, but why have you been avoiding me? Did I do something wrong already?"

Emily: "N-no. Of course not. I've just been super busy."

Alison: "Em. I know when you're lying to me, what's going on?"

I felt my heart beat faster and faster by the second. She sat down on the bed and patted the space next to her. I knew I wasn't getting out of this unless I told the truth. So that's what I'm going to do."

Emily: "I uh..well I-"

Alison: "Breathe. It's okay. Just take your time."

I sighed loudly. Here goes nothing.

Emily: "Don't take this the wrong way, please. But, you being back has made me so conflicted. Not because I don't want you here or anything like that. Because I do. I do what you here. But I just don't know in what way I want you here. Maybe you knew all along or you just thought I was using you to see who I am. But I love you Alison. As more than a friend. I never got the chance to tell you the right way. The day you rejected me in the locker room, I wrote you an angry letter telling you these awful things that I didn't mean. Then the next day, you were gone. And I regretted it so much. In the letter I told you I loved you and I just never wanted you to know. You played with me all through middle school and some of high school. You'd let me kiss you and the flaunt boys like Noel Kahn in my face. The girls know about it too, not that you let me kiss you and all of that, but that I love you. And they keep hounding me with all these questions about my feelings for you..and I just don't know anymore."

I looked at Alison after I took a huge deep breath. She looks shocked and upset. She took a second to think and then began talking.

Alison: "Emily, I am so sorry. For everything. I was an awful person back then. I pushed people away for no reason and I was rude for no reason. I never meant to cause you so much pain. I've changed so much since then, and I promise you I'll make it up to you. But please don't avoid me. I miss my mermaid."

Emily: "I miss you too Alison."

We hugged and then went down stairs to make something for dinner. A huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders and I couldn't be any happier. Maybe now Alison and I can just get back to normal with each other.