Chapter 12: Vladimir

"Everyone. We are going to Kholvkor."
As the boys sat back in the safe house full of grief, a dark skinned woman stood before them and the others. This was the Phoebe they have been told about. She was in her early 20s, dressed in a smart long coat, boots and had her jet black hair short and straight.
"Colver-what-now?" Ryan asked confused.
"It's Kholvkor, a town of Vampires. They have a nice cemetery and is a great place to relax for a while," Andrew explained.
"Whoa woah woah hold up...there's a town for Vampires?...since when? The UMF never had any intel on that" Ryan replied.
"That's why the UPC have them protected," Livia said. "They are great farmers too just to mention."
"Farming what? Human blood? I think you mean harvesting!"
"Ryan cut it out," Jacob said. His head was laying on the table with half a dozen of tissues around him.
Callula chimed in: "Guys this might be good for you two! Getting away from here, you might like it, you never know!"
The boys just frowned and hid their faces from everyone. Callula sighed and looked at the others for support.
Andrew let out a sigh and walked up behind them putting his hands on their shoulders, "Give it a go at least."
"I know exactly how you two are feeling so you are not the only ones here who had someone so close to you murdered. Callula is right and I am sure the Vampires can help put Emma to rest," Phoebe said.
"If you say so, I'm up for it, how about you Jac?..." Ryan asked. Jacob raised his head slowly, revealing his tear stained face. He nodded slowly and stood up, watching Callula pick up and throw away the tissues.
Callula walked up and wiped the tears away smiling at him.
"Thanks Cal. I do believe an escape away is what's best," Jacob said.
"Good! Let's make that happen shall we?"
Ryan got up and made his way outside and stood alone, waiting for everyone. His sleeves were damp from the tears. The air was chilly so Ryan hugged himself, breathing in the cold.
After a while Luxie stepped out and stood with him.
"I can't help but feel it's my fault she's gone, not matter how much people tell me it's not, I feel like it is," Ryan said, avoiding eye contact.
"Take it from me, if you keep thinking like that it'll get to you and you'll start believing it, don't let that happen Ryan."
Ryan looked round to see Luxie. "Thanks for the advice. I also don't know what me and Jacob are going to do from here and I am very worried for him."
"For now, worry about yourself, Jacob can handle himself just fine."
"We still need each other Luxie. The same way Callula needs you," Ryan said and walked back inside.
Luxie thought to herself for a moment, taking in what he said before shaking her head slightly and walking back in
As Ryan walked back in he saw Jacob talking to Livia. He didn't want to interrupt and stood in the corner away from everyone. He tried to take in Luxie's advice but he can't help think that him joining the UMF was the cause of Emma's death and is scared it was going to haunt him forever.
Eventually Jacob walked over to Ryan, catching him daydreaming, "Finny? You okay?"
Ryan looked up. "I'm worried Jac, worried and scared."
"What of? That's not like my big brother" Jacob chuckled.
Ryan didn't say anything but pulled him in for a hug, brushing his hair with his fingers and sobbing into his shoulder.
Uncertain what to do, Jacob patted his back gently and eventually he cried too.
"They'll help us Finny, we'll be okay."

The next morning, a chopper was ready to take off, Phoebe sitting in the cockpit doing the preflight checks. Marcel was in another chopper watching the Spud gang and Andrew who was carrying the body bag containing Emma boarding. Jacob and Ryan followed Livia, Luxie and Callula into Phoebe's chopper and sat down.
"Everybody strapped in?!" Phoebe yelled over the sound of the chopper.
"Yes Phoebe," Livia called back.
"Get ready for take off!"
The chopper began to lift off the ground, blowing the trees and causing dust and dirt to scatter around. Jacob looked outside the window and saw his and Ryan's old home town slowly vanish out of sight.
The mood was somber throughout the journey, only the sound of the chopper and the occasional updates from Phoebe were heard during the flight.
Jacob kept himself by the window, looking out and seeing his reflection.
He thought to himself the times he and Ryan had spent with Emma, right back to when they were very young and newly orphaned, right up until their final moments. He saw Ryan through the reflection and saw he had fallen asleep. This made him smile a bit, seeing the tranquility then noticed Luxie, Callula and Livia have also fallen asleep. He scooted back closer to Ryan and rested his head on his shoulder, allowing his eyes to close and think about the good times he had and the good times that are still yet to come.

Only moments seemed to pass as Jacobs eyes opened once again, he felt an arm wrapped around him as well as hearing chatter from everyone.
"Wakey wakey, we are almost there!" Livia exclaimed excitedly. "I Love Khlovkor!"
"We know you like it because Vlad's there!" Callula shouted
"Who's Vlad?" Jacob asked half asleep.
"He's the guy we'll be staying with, he's lovely I promise," Livia replied.
"I hope he has some food for me, I skipped breakfast," Callula said.
"I'm sure he'll have a couple of bags of blood laying around don't you worry" Ryan said jokingly.
The chopper came to a halt and Phoebe ordered everyone off. Marcel and his group were already waiting.
Ryan and Jacob hopped off last and took in the area around them. They were in an open area and they could see a tall building out in the distance.
"Why did we land so far from Khlovkor?" Luxie asked.
Phoebe hesitantly responded: "You know...safety. Bonus, it can be a nice walk. Vladimir is meeting us by the town gates."
With that, Phoebe led the way down the rocky path. For a town of Vampires, you would expect it to have dark clouds above and buildings all bent and black with bats hanging off. Jacob and Ryan braced themselves but relieved that the town looked like a regular village. The group approached closer and there was a fully grown man outside the town. He was rather tall, bald and dressed fully in black. He looked at them and a huge smile appeared on his face.
"Phoebe! Welcome back to Khlovkor!" he said, giving her a hug. "Same to you Livia, Andrew, Callula and..."
The Vampire's eyes moved to Ryan, Jacob and Luxie then approached them, starting with Ryan first.
"Hello friends of Phoebe's, my name is Vladimir, welcome to Kholvkor," he said, shaking Ryan's hand then moving on to the other two.
"I'm Ryan, this is my brother Jacob and this is-"
"Luxie, I'm Luxie" she interrupted.
Vladimir bows.
"Pleasure to meet you."
"Vlad, are you sure you have room for all of us to spend a few days?" Phoebe asked.
"Of course I do my dear you needn't worry, now do tell me, what brings you here? You never quite mentioned."
"If it's ok with you, can we go to a lobby or something then I'll fill you in," Phoebe said.
"Of course Phoebe, come come" Vladimir motioned with his hand and they all headed further into the town.
The boys gasped at how beautiful the town was. It looked so normal apart from child Vampires flying and playing around in a bat formation and a few other Vampires drinking blood bags.
"What an interesting culture," Jacob mentioned.
"I'm glad you like it young Jacob, hopefully you will enjoy your stay."
Jacob cracked a smile. Vladimir led them inside a hotel called The Plaz and went into a room with multiple sofas, a TV and a coffee machine.
"Oooo very homely!" Callula exclaimed and sat down on a sofa with a slight bounce.
"Please everyone, sit, make yourself comfy," Vladimir requested before sitting down on an armchair.'
"So, what brings you all to Khlovkor?"
"Well good news is, the prison was infiltrated, the bad news is there was an issue with the UMF at Brentwood," Phoebe explained, gesturing to the body bag Andrew was still carrying.
"I had fear that that had something to do with it, what happened?"
"Ryan here formerly believed the UMF were good and joined them, but since he ended up helping the infiltration and had his mind changed, the UMF killed his and his brother's mother figure. I wish to have her buried in your cemetery."
Vladimir turned to the boys with a sorrow look in his eyes "You boys have my condolences, please, do whatever you must and do not be afraid to ask for anything."
The boys nodded in gratefulness. After a few moments, Vladimir ordered the hotel reception to take the guests to their rooms. Phoebe and Andrew remained with Vladimir in the lobby.
"Regardless of your visit, it is always a pleasure to have you stay with us, do enjoy your stay" Vladimir smiled and shook their hands before walking off. Ryan approached him before following the others.
"Would me and Jacob be able to see Emma before she is buried?"
"Of course young Ryan, we will prepare her body and Jacob and yourself will be able to see her."
"Thank you," Ryan replied quietly and sadly followed the others up the stairs. Andrew walked up beside Vladimir and sighed.
"Poor kid can't stop blaming himself for her death," he said.
"I can't say I don't know how he feels..." Vladimir replied. "May I see her before we commence?"
Andrew laid the bag on the sofa and unzipped the top to reveal Emma's face.
"How unfortunate... she's a beautiful woman."
Vladimir caressed her cheek, feeling her ice cold flesh. He continued to examine her and noticed a silver necklace with a Squirrel pendant on. "I take it she likes Squirrels."
"I wouldn't know, I barely knew her, the first time I met her she was in this state," Andrew said bluntly.
"Well I shall be putting a Squirrel on her tombstone. Please excuse me a moment whilst I head out to the cemetery."
"You got it Vlad."

I few hours past and everyone was outside in the cemetery. Emma's grave was dug and she was placed inside a mahogany coffin. The boys took their final look at Emma, whispering the words "We love you" and "We miss you" to her, expecting a reply. Tears dropped onto her then Andrew had to pull them away, watching her being slowly lowered in.
Everyone had donned smart attire suitable for the event, not a single word was spoken, just silence and respect.
The boys exchanged hugs with everyone else before making their way back into the hotel where there was a big table set for them all. Vladimir arranged a meal for everyone and the table was filled with multiple plates of meat, roast potatoes,vegetables, apple pies and pastries.
The mood at the table was far more cheerful, even Ryan and Jacob were having a good time chatting with everyone and eating good food. All the food they had were made fresh by the farmers of Khlovkor.
As the evening drew near, the conversations kept going and the table eventually became a buffet with the amount of leftovers. Everyone still seemed happy except for one.
From Vladimir's seat, he saw Ryan walk out the hotel and towards the cemetery. He followed him out, trying not to startle him.
Ryan made his way towards Emma's grave and knelt down in front of it, he placed a hand on it and began to weep.
A small, sad squeak was heard behind Ryan. He turned around and saw a bat flying there. It morphed and revealed Vladimir looking down on him.
"Ryan my boy, I have been informed of your problem. I have a story to tell you. Come"
Ryan wiped his eyes and stood back up. Vladimir morphed back into a bat and used his claws to lift Ryan up by his hood.
"Whoa!" Ryan exclaimed, looking down at his dangling feet as he was carried up to the roof of the hotel.
"Just hang on Ryan to...something.."
Ryan obeyed and had hold of a satellite. Vladimir sat down next to him.
"Listen. A few years ago before Khlovkor, me and my family were found by the UMF. I tried to protect my family, especially my three children but my wife was killed as soon as the UMF arrived. My kids were between the ages of 8 to 11, one of them still had her baby fangs. I did everything to protect them but we were being chased down by them until eventually we got surrounded. I told my kids we had to surrender, telling them everything will be alright until they pulled the trigger on me. The bullet missed my organs and I played dead. As I laid there, I wished for my kids to be okay. Hearing their cries was the worst for me until I heard more gunshots. My three beautiful children and wife brutally murdered by those soulless bastards. For years I blamed myself for their death, wishing there was a way to change it or give myself a fresh start in life. Khlovkor helped me with that and I know how you are feeling. Talk to me my boy."
Ryan was silent for the longest time, he stared into nothing for seemingly eternity, "I...don't know what to say. I'm sorry for you and your family."
"Thank you but this is about you. I can help you Ryan give you a clean slate, a slate where you don't need to blame yourself. I heard how you manage to fight off the UMF after you found Emma dead and I am very impressed."
"You did? You don't disapprove of what I did?"
"You kicked their backsides and gave them what they deserved. I see you are a strong, brave kid and I'll like to help you. I also learnt from your brother you used to be a Fashionista a lot. My wife was like that. Be nice if you got back into it. What do you say my boy?"
"That does sound like a good idea...I do miss it a lot."
Vladimir smiled and turned Ryan's head round to face him then grabbed his wrist
"Now my boy, try not to flinch and stay perfectly still."
"Wait wha-" Ryan was silenced and watched as Vladimir bared his fangs and sank his teeth into his wrist. Vision began to blur and eventually blacked him out.

Back in the lobby, Jacob walked around in search for Ryan.
"I saw him go outside with Vladimir," Jordan said.
"Okay well, when you see him, tell him I've gone to bed."
"No problem Jacob" Jordan flashed him a smile.
Jacob made his way up the flights of stairs in Sprite form as he was too lazy and tired to use the lift or stairs. He shares this room with Ryan just like back in Brentwood.
Once he settled down in the room, he laid on his bed and took out one of the pictures of himself, Ryan and Emma.
He stroked the picture and hugged it into his chest and curled up.
Drifting in and out of sleep, Jacob was awoken by the sound of the door handle creaking open. He didn't move but manage to look with his eyes, in hope if was Ryan. The figure that came in was a lot taller and his heart began to beat hard.
As the figure came more into the light, Jacob realised it was only Vladimir.
"My apologies for waking you young Jacob, I just came to deliver young Ryan here who appears to have fallen asleep outside".
Vladimir laid Ryan into the opposite bed to Jacob and pulled the blanket over him.
Jacob sat up and saw Ryan peaceful once again.
"Thank you."
Vladimir sat on the corner of Jacob's bed.
"I had a talk with him about his problems. He should be okay now."
"Are you sure? He's not the easiest person to get through to."
Vladimir said nothing but winked then left the room. Jacob looked over at Ryan and watched him snuggle in. This made him smile and also snuggle down and place the picture on the bedside table.
Ryan was awoken by the sunlight pouring in through the windows, however the feeling wasn't pleasant like it had been in the past, Ryan felt himself heating up at a rapid pace.
He sat up and looked around and noticed Jacob fast asleep in the bed next to him and got up. He remembered what happened last night that made him check out his wrist.
He noticed two punctures and studied them close. He began to get worried and ran to the bathroom, wrapping his wrist with toilet paper then a small knock was heard on their room door. Jacob didn't stir so Ryan tiptoed to it, opening a crack.
Peering out he saw it was Callula, she was already dressed and ready for the day.
"Hey Ryan. Vladimir told me to tell you he is waiting for you in the lobby. You ok? How is Jaccy?"
"Ummm hes okay just sleeping, I only just got up myself."
"Okay. Quickly get ready though, Vlad does seem to be a bit excited to see how you are," Callula said and walked down the hall.
Ryan wearily walked back into the bathroom and looked in the mirror, noticing his green eyes became brighter and skin was slightly more pale.
Something was not right so he rushed out and down to the lobby.
As the door slammed behind him, Jacob woke up and climbed out of bed
He saw Ryan has left the room but felt quite disappointed that he didn't get a good morning from him then slowly went into the bathroom.
He noticed discarded bits of tissue paper scattered around the basin, some of which has small patches of blood on them. Jacob thought Ryan must've had a nose bleed and threw them in the bin before jumping into the shower.

Meanwhile down in the lobby, Ryan hesitantly entered to only see Vladimir sitting at the table alone.
Ryan took a seat opposite him and Vladimir looked up and smiled.
"How do you feel my boy?" he asked.

"Strange, as if I'm unwell but not...if you get what I mean."
Vladimir clicked his fingers and two waiters came over, handing him a blood bag and also gave Ryan one. He looked at it confused.
"You look hungry Ryan"
Ryan glanced up at Vladimir then back at the blood bag.
"Why did you give me this? I'm not a Vampire..."
"Why don't you have a taste, maybe you'll think otherwise."
Looking back down at the bag, he began to feel really hungry and craved it. He opened it like a Capri-Sun and hesitantly began to drink it.
Vladimir watched on intrigued whilst taking small sips of his own bag. Ryan didn't realise and kept on drinking until his bag was empty and his face dropped.
"Why did I... why was that good?"
"Only a Vampire would find that as appetising as you just did."
Ryan dropped the bag on the table and noticed his nails has turned black. He used his tongue to find his new fangs.
"You changed me last night!" Ryan said in shock.
"Indeed I did young Ryan."
Ryan was in mild shock and one of the waiters rubbed his back. Vladimir sat up. "This is a great way for me to help you cure your problems. For this morning I shall help you get used to your new ways. And a tip for you if the fangs feel uncomfortable, you can keep them poking out."
"Wait, how do I get them back in then?"
"What do you mean how?" Vladimir asked, frowning confused.
"I mean, is there a way to hide the fangs and have normal canines for a better human look?"
"Well...no...you can either have them sticking out in front of your lower lip or tuck them in behind it, most new vampires leave them out to start."
Ryan decided to keep them sticking out and pulled out his phone, opening his camera to face him. He looked so different with the brighter eyes and the fangs.
"I think I could get used to this...I think I look a lot better than before."
Vladimir chuckled and got up.
"Come on now my boy. Let's get started."

Back in Jacob and Ryan's bedroom, Jacob finished off getting dressed and left the room, picking up the keys. He hoped Ryan was waiting for him downstairs and flew down the stairs, dodging other guests who began to complain at him but he ignored.
When he reached the floor he was disappointed to find no Ryan in sight, however on the far side of the room he spotted Callula and Livia chatting on a sofa.
"Hey Cal, Livia. You seen Ryan? He's disappeared again," Jacob said with a sigh.
"Well I came to check up on you two this morning, I think he just came out of the bathroom or something" said Callula.
"Do you know where he is?"
"He's with Vlad. I think Vlad is helping him with something, possibly his emotions, he's good at that. Which actually reminds me!"
Callula jumped up and grabbed Jacob's hand and pulled him towards the exit.
"We'll be back soon Livia!"
The two ran outside of the town and into the small woods that surrounded it.
"Callula where are you taking me?"
"I am upgrading you to a 100% Sprite! There is something you need to try."
"What do you mean 100% aren't I already 100%?"
"Nope!" Callula giggled. They came to a halt and Callula morphed and flew onto a top tree branch, gesturing Jacob to join her. Jacob followed her up and landed on the branch.
"Ok, be very quiet though Jaccy. Have you ever wondered when you was human what Sprites fed on? Especially ones that can't morph?"
"Ummm not really...mice?"
"Wow! That is one thing! Well that is more like something to have in a banquet. But the one thing that is divine to all Sprites are Crickets. And there are a bunch here!"
"Wait...crickets?..."
Jacob looked a little sick by the thought. Eating musical hopping insects! Callula chuckled.
"You should see your face but trust me, you will love it. I'll catch one but watch me do so, so you can learn how to."
"Me? Hunting? I am not so sure if that is in my character description," Jacob said and whipped out his phone.
"Don't worry Jacob, you're a Sprite now so you'll come to appreciate the taste soon enough."
"Okay Cal, if you say so," Jacob replied.
Callula locked eyes on a cricket which was on the next branch up. Her wings vibrated and got into a fierce launch position before taking off, zooming at it. She flew over it, using her arms to catch it then landed next to Jacob.
"You got it?"
"Sure did! Well it was easy for me since I have done it for years. Once you caught a cricket, simply kill it by removing the head."
Jacob could see the poor insect was struggling to break free, and felt slightly sorry for it. Part of him was ready to see it die, the other wanted to stop Callula.
Before he could make a move Callula took the head clean off and threw it aside. The cricket stopped moving and Callula knelt down, laying it on the floor, dismembering it's legs. Jacob felt really sick seeing this but also interested.
Callula finished up and held up the legs to Jacob.
"Try one. Trust me you will love it."
Jacob hesitantly took one leg. It was all green with a tint of yellow which did not look appetising. He saw Callula digging into one of the other legs.
"What...does it taste like?" Jacob asked.
Callula looked up and finished her mouthful.
"It tastes like chicken but with a slight pinch of honey. So good!"
Jacob looked at it again and frowned "You sure?"
"Do you want me to baby feed you Dummy? Just take a bite!"
"Fine fine!" Jacob hesitantly took the leg and nibbled into it.
Callula watched him as if he was the star of a show, smiling widely and waiting for his reaction.
"Well?" she asked quite impatiently.
Jacob glanced from her to the leg in his hand. Without a response, Jacob took a huge bite and sat down next to Callula.
Callula gleamed.
"You like it! Next time you should try a roasted cricket! That's even better!"
"Sounds amazing!" Jacob replied and finished the leg off and was about to reach for another until Callula shoved him away.
"Now now Dummy. You should go try catching your own. I won't be doing it for you," she chuckled. Jacob frowned then stood up.
"Ok teacher! How do I do this then?"
Callula stood up with him and looked around for a target.
"See that one over by the pine cones? Keep your eyes fixed on it and just charge at full speed. Only difficult thing is reaching out to catch it. Fly over it too high, you can't get grips on it, too low you can crash or alert them."
Jacob looked up at the pine cones and saw the back of the cricket. He kept his eyes glued onto it, preparing himself to go. Callula sat back down and continued her cricket breakfast and watching.
"You got this!"
Jacob launched up and gained closer to the insect, reaching out to it. The cricket hopped to the side, causing Jacob to miss and crashed into a branch.
"You ok!" Callula called.
Jacob gave a thumbs up.
"Stupid thing jumped out the way!"
"Try the sneaky method. Approach behind it with no sudden noises and grab it."
Jacob brushed himself off and examined the position of the cricket. He flew up and discreetly went behind it, getting ready to pounce. He felt his wings tense as he zoomed to it, catching it and held it close in a lock.
"Got it!" Jacob called to Callula. She gave him a double thumbs up and clapped. He could feel the cricket struggling and making sounds with it's musical legs.
"Quickly remove it's head before it eventually does escape!" Callula exclaimed.
Jacob knew he was never going to like this bit but ripped it off like it was paper and threw it away. He sat down with Callula and pulled off one of the legs and gave it to her.
"The rest are mine," Jacob said and pulled off another.
"Fair enough Dummy. At least I have someone who can get me some cricket legs when I fall with the flu or something," Callula laughed. Jacob smiled and laughed back and the two feasted.

Hours past and Jacob left Callula with Luxie before heading back up to his room. He hoped Ryan was looking for him now so the best place was to wait there. He flew up the stairs and morphed human form and took out his keys. As he opened the door, there was no sign of Ryan yet but he wasn't alone in the room.
Jacob freaked a bit as he saw a bat hanging upside down on the ceiling lamp shade. It's wings were wrapped around its body with its head tucked inside. Jacob first thought he was in the wrong apartment but saw the photo of him, Ryan and Emma on the table and slowly closed the door behind him.
The bat appeared to be asleep and the scary thing was that it wasn't a regular sized bat. Its fur was fully black and it was the size of an average laptop screen. Jacob stuck to the walls and went around until he reached the wardrobe, taking out a hanger. He used it to gently poke the animal.
The bat's head drew out from it's wings and turned its head to Jacob. Jacob gulped nervously as the bat had bright green eyes and fangs poking out of its mouth.
"What is your business here?" Jacob blurted out.
The bat didn't respond but unwrapped its wings, giving them a flap a few times. It kept it's eyes on Jacob and squeaked happily.
"Can I help you?" Jacob asked concerningly.
The bat flew off the lamp shade and morphed into a familiar figure in front of Jacob, causing him to gasp.
"Hey Jaccy."
Jacob tried to find his words but could feel his dictionary being ripped to shreds.
"RYAN!" he exclaimed.
Ryan took a cautious step back and nervously stroked his arm.
"Sorry if this disappoints you Jacob."
Jacob blinked twice and stepped towards him and pulled him in for a hug. Ryan's eyes opened wide and hugged back.
"What happened Finny?" Jacob asked.
"Vladimir changed me. He said he wanted me to stop blaming myself and start a fresh slate. I accepted his help and now I am one of them."
Jacob pulled back, looking up at him smiling.
"I am very surprised you went through this Finny. Does it make you feel any better?"
Ryan sat down on Jacob's bed and stretched. "Yes it does. Only downside is that I can no longer have anything that contains garlic anymore. Vampires feel unwell and can vomit at the stench or by eating something that contains it."
Jacob sat down next to him.
"Do you have a reflection?"
"I do yes. I questioned that to Vlad and he told me that some Vampire myths are not true simply because it's not possible. I mean, how can someone not have a reflection if they are opaque and others can see them clearly? Another is eternal life. The is a false statement because it is impossible for a body to keep going for hundreds of years."
Jacob giggled.
"What about the whole sleeping in coffins business?"
"Funny story. Vlad told me this. Back in the era when Unusuals were evolving, a homeless Vampire was trying to find shelter and found an abandoned coffin outside a funeral office. He slept in it and later through his years, he and his family eventually began to sleep in it, telling them how comfortable it was. And it just went around like that."
Ryan looked down at his feet, shifting a bit.
"You sure you're not bothered by this?"
Jacob smiled calmly and embraced him.
"As long as you are happy then so am I. I think it's great now that we are both Unusual and I can see where Vlad meant by giving you a clean slate. Just promise me one thing."
"Which is?"
"Don't go biting everyone."
The boys giggled and Ryan gave Jacob a playful shove.
"No need to worry about that. I'll most likely ask permission anyway, seems more polite."
"Good Vampire," Jacob said and patted his head.
Ryan stood up and grabbed Jacob's wrist, pulling him up.
"Whoa! You seem to have gotten stronger, what are we doing?" Jacob asked.
Ryan didn't reply but ran out the room, dragging Jacob along.
"Not again!" Jacob exclaimed. "Where are we going?"
"Vladimir actually setted up a special room in the hotel. He is the one who runs the place and I can't wait to show you!"
Jacob blinked twice and tried to keep up. Ryan has gotten stronger and faster and was difficult to keep his balance while running and fell over. Ryan looked over at Jacob on the ground.
"Can you slow down Finny? You're like the Flash!"
Ryan giggled and helped him up.
"Sorry Jaccy. I am just so excited right now. Why don't you morph and try that way?"
"Remember last time Ryan? I did and was in your hood. I fell out!"
Ryan tapped his foot and thought.
"Stay here, I'll be straight back," he said and ran back.
Jacob stood awkwardly in the hall, his hair was wind swept and used his fingers to fix it and to the corner of his eyes, he spotted an old lady staring at him, making him feel uncomfortable. He tried to ignore her and waited for Ryan to come back.
After 2 minutes, Ryan zoomed back with his pouch on.
"Ta da! Your carriage awaits!"
Jacob instantly flew inside away from the creepy lady's stare. Ryan clipped the bag and saw her.
"Can I help you miss?" he asked.
She didn't reply but walked away mumbling. Ryan could hear her mumbles with his improved hearing sense and heard her saying mean things about Sprites. He frowned angrily and growled slightly before continuing on.
He kept hold of the pouch and ran down the hall until he reached a purple door. This hall held all sorts of activities for the visitors of the hotel. There was a swimming pool, gym and a bar area. This room was always empty until today and Ryan slowly opened it. He smiled at the surroundings and what Vladimir has set him up. In the corner of the room was a desk with sewing machines, a computer and accessories. Around the walls were shelves with different materials on and there were manikins stored next to the desk.
"Here we are Jaccy!" Ryan said, unclipping the bag. Jacob peaked out and saw everything and hovered out.
"Finny this is great!" he exclaimed and morphed. He hugged him tight and walked over to the desk. There was already a sketch of a new outfit idea on the desk and Jacob examined it.
"This for you then?" Jacob asked.
"Yes. A very fabulous vampire look."
"Approved," Jacob laughed. "What would you like me to do?"
Ryan took the sketch and looked around.
"Could you grab that red denim material and the black one over there please?"
Jacob looked over at the shelf with the different coloured denims and grabbed them. Ryan pulled out a manikin and began to start sewing the shirt. The shirt in the sketch was a pale grey with a red rim round the neck area and a ribbon hanged off the front. Jacob decided to put on some music from the computer and watched Ryan do his work. He morphed and sat on top of the sewing machine watching, feeling happy to see his brother back doing what he enjoys.
"So how was your morning Jac?" Ryan asked.
"A bit eventful. I was out with Callula in the woods."
"What were you doing out there?"
Jacob remembered what happened and awkwardly laughed.
"Well... Callula showed me something, showed me what Sprites actually do to survive when living in the forest when it comes to food."
"Don't they eat berries?" Ryan asked looking up. Jacob shook his head.
"Not just that. I asked if Sprites ate mice and surprisingly, they do! Well I mean I'm supposed to now."
"So you and Callula killed a mouse?"
"No... I don't think I'll be able to but, she made me eat cricket legs."
Ryan coughed a bit.
"You ate a cricket?" he said in surprise.
"It was actually really nice Ryan! Cal told me Sprites hunt them. At first I was disgusted when she went and caught one then ripped off it's head and began to dismember and eat the legs. But I was interested and tried it, then she taught me how to hunt myself. It was fun."
Ryan coughed a bit more purposely.
"I have no words. I'm both disgusted yet intrigued. Just don't leave dismembered crickets everywhere will you?"
"Okay okay. Disgust is big coming from you, I mean... you are now a creature that drinks blood."
Ryan frowned at him and flicked him playfully, sending him off the sewing machine and into a jar of buttons.
"Ow! Hey!" Jacob shouted and threw a button at him. Ryan giggled and caught the button, dropping it back in the jar. He looked in a draw on his desk and pulled out a book then rested it on top of the jar, trapping Jacob inside.
"Finny!" Jacob yelled. Ryan waved and continued sewing.
"Peace and quiet."
"Finny get me out of here!"
Ryan smiled and removed the book. He doesn't feel comfortable in seeing his brother captivated but it was just a joke. Jacob hovered out and sat back on the machine.
"I think the blood bag I had was really nice," Ryan said.
"That's good then. Be a bit of a pain if Vlad gave you this gift and you turned out to hate the red stuff."
Ryan smiled and finished off the shirt then pulled out a roll of red and handed the end of it to Jacob
"Could you do me a favour and put this red cotton into the sewing needle please? I need to sew on the ribbon."
Jacob grabbed the cotton and put it through the small hole in the needle and tied a knot. Ryan thanked him and put the shirt on the manikin behind him and began to sew on the ribbon.
"Perfect," he said, stepping back. "And that is only the first thing done."
"What are you doing next?" Jacob asked.
"The red denim jeans. Let's do this!"

The boys were working on the outfit for 3 hours. Jacob was in and out of the room to fetch snacks and refreshments from the cafeteria. Vladimir was giving him them for free which caused other guests to complain about it.
The outfit was finally completed and Ryan began to admire his work.
Along with the shirt, it had red denim jeans, a black short sleeved tailcoat that goes down to the bottom of the back with the collar sticking up. Accessories with it were black fingerless gloves with a circular hole and silver studs and arm bands with black and white stripes. Jacob stepped up and nudged him.
"Go put in on," he said.
Ryan went and took off the clothes and ran out the room, back to the bedroom. Jacob followed on, this time taking the elevator. He reached his floor and went to his room and found Ryan already in it.
"Well Jaccy? how do I look?" Ryan asked striking poses in front of the mirror.
"Fabulous darling," Jacob laughed.
"And check this out! Whilst we were down there, Vlad brought this up!" Ryan said and ran to his bed. There was something underneath and he pulled it out. It was a polished oak coffin.
"Sweet! Try it out," Jacob said, opening it. Ryan stepped in and sat down.
"It is pretty cozy," Ryan commented.
"Lay down then."
Ryan laid down, looking at the ceiling, Jacob loomed over and grinned then reached down, moving his arms into an X pose on his chest.
"That's better."
"Very funny Jac."
"Now you are a fearsome creature of the night."
Ryan rolled his eyes but before he could get back up, Jacob closed the lid.
"Hey!" he called from inside.
"Rest in peace Ryan," Jacob said softly.
Ryan tried to push the lid open but realised Jacob was sitting on it.
"Jac get off! Get me out of here!"
"Pay back for earlier with the buttons!"
There was a short pause and Ryan used his extra strength to open the lid and sent Jacob flying off.
"Ha! You can not keep me contained!" Ryan exclaimed and jumped out.
"Damn!" Jacob said and crossed his arms. Ryan pushed the coffin back under and straightened up.
"You know what Ryan, I'm not going to call you Finny anymore," Jacob said.
Ryan looked at him, looking a bit saddened. Jacob had a smug look.
"You are now Vinny! See what I did there?"
Ryan blinked twice and laughed.
"Nice!"
There was a knock on the door and Jacob rushed to answer it.
"Hey. Everything alright?" Callula asked.
"Oh hey, everything is fine. Would you like to come in?"
Callula stepped into their room and saw Ryan in his new outfit.
"Wow! Nice look Ryan. Made it yourself I presume? Looks vampy," Callula said, feeling the material of the tailcoat.
"Thanks! The vamp look was the whole idea," Ryan said smiling, showing off his new fangs.
Callula looked surprised at him.
"You're a Vampire now? Is that what Vlad wanted with you?" she asked concerningly.
"Yes. It has made me feel a lot better."
"Well I'm happy for you then. Welcome to the Unusual Community!" Callula said and hugged him.
"Thanks! Isn't it great that the other Ryan is dead?" Ryan laughed.
"Totally. He was driving me insane," Jacob joked, sticking out his tongue at him.
"Well now I will drive you more insane," Ryan joked back, also sticking out his tongue.
Callula laughed in the middle of them.
"Well I am calling you Hole Punchers, I have a nickname for all my friends. I call Luxie Goldfish and Livia Charlotte."
"So they get more relevant nicknames and I get called Dummy?" Jacob asked, putting hands on hips.
"First name that came to my head Dummy," Callula chuckled and poked his nose.
Ryan grinned at Jacob's unamused expression.
"Well, lets go and share the news. Ryan Finnigan, home coming Vampire!" Callula said and opened the door. "Come on!"
Jacob looked at Ryan and followed her out. Ryan felt a bit nervous and morphed into a bat formation.
"Great idea! Really surprise everyone!" Callula said.
In bat form, Ryan loses the ability to speak and only squeaks. He squeaked at her happily and nodded.

Evening came and the boys were down in the lobby. The shock of Ryan now a Vampire drew to a close. Max and the other Spuds kept on laughing about the fact they called him Dracula back in Sanby and Jacob couldn't help but laugh with them.
Phoebe approached Jacob and pulled him out of the crowd.
"Mr McCoy, I understand your wishes before all this happened and you didn't want to be part of anything else but the infiltration. But due to recent events and what I have seen from you, I ask for you and Ryan to join the UPC as mercenaries."
Jacob paused for a moment and turned to look at Ryan who had Jordan checking out his new outfit and seem to be begging for Ryan to make him something.
"I'll have to discuss that with Ryan Phoebe."
Phoebe looked slightly impatient and called over to Ryan. Ryan jogged over and stood next to Jacob.
"What's going on?" he asked suspiciously.
"I wish for you and Jacob to become UPC mercenaries. Please, sign these forms and bring them back to me by the end of the night."
She handed them two clipboards with a contract on them and handed a pen. She walked away and the boys exchanged looks.
"Well it's not the UMF and seems more welcoming. What else is there for us?" Ryan asked.
Jacob sighed and read the contract.
"It isn't much of a military, just a protection organisation. I guess this is what's good for us and at least we know we'll be protected too."
Ryan fiddled the pen and sat down on the sofa. Jacob looked at everyone else and spotted Luxie on the other side of the room also with a clipboard with Callula sitting next to her. Jacob gestured Ryan to follow him and they joined the girls.
"So is being a UPC mercenary good?" Jacob asked Callula, showing her his clipboard.
"It's like having a huge family. We do help save vulnerable Unusuals and families by giving them shelter and taking them to safer places. We do go on small tasks now and then but our main objective is to keep Unusuals safe basically. Plus we all have our own room back at Headquarters. Luxie will be sharing mine though."
Luxie finished signing her contract and gave it to Callula.
"Might as well sign it too boys, not meaning to be harsh but you'll be nothing without this opportunity," she said. "And on another note, I'll like to apologise for my behaviour back in Brentwood."
The boys smiled at Luxie.
"It's alright don't worry about it," Ryan said. He looked over at Jacob who has just signed the contract.
"And she's right. Let's go with them Ryan," Jacob said. Ryan took the pen from Jacob and also signed it. Callula took the clipboards back and ran to Phoebe. Luxie stood up.
"Be nice working with you Dummy and Hole Punchers," she said and walked off.
Ryan watched her go then looked at Jacob who had his unamused expression again.
"She's going to be calling me that too," he said. Ryan laughed.
"Cheer up Dummy."
Jacob growled at him and Callula came jumping back with her thumbs up, smiling widely.
"Congratulations! Welcome to the family! Phoebe is very happy you signed it that quickly."
"Thanks Cal," Jacob said. She skipped away and caught up with Luxie.
The boys sat down on the sofa Luxie was on and stretched out.
"I hope Emma would be proud of us," Ryan said
"I'm sure she is. All she wanted to do was help those in need and we are doing just that."