Chapter 10: Sprite

Jacob stirred as he woke up from his dream. He was hiding alone saving his brother along with hundreds of other people. Strangely, he fell asleep in his sleep and felt himself being carried. The bed so so comfy, he didn't want to get up.
His vision was very blurred, he could barely make out the room he was in, bright lights almost blinded him. He slowly managed to sit up and felt a banging pain in his head and groaned. His vision began to clear and he felt very off, something wasn't right.
Feeling the duvet underneath him was incredibly thick and could feel he was slightly sunk in it. He outstretched his arms, relieving what felt like a lifetime of sleep, only to find his arms not reaching over the sides of the bed.
"What the..." Jacob mumbled to himself, rubbing his eyes.
He now saw what surrounded him, everything looked so big now, the cupboards, the tables, the lights, the whole room.
All Jacob could do was look down at himself and slowly stood up. He was still in the UMF disguise uniform before he passed out, but why did everything seem so big? As he got up he felt as if something was protruding from his back, making him reach over as far as he can to feel what it was. It felt silky and seems to be stuck into his flesh as he tried to pull it. It caused him to groan more in pain as it refused to get out. He walked towards the edge of the bed, he looked down to a great fall. He backed away and his heart began pounding.
"What is happening? What kind of nightmare is this?" Jacob asked himself and put his hands to his head. He then felt his ears seem to be strangely pointy and fiddled around with them for a few seconds. As he played he heard someone approaching and a closing of a door.
Jacob went back to his sleeping position as Livia walked in on him.
"I know you're awake Sprite boy," she said, carefully pouring a bit of water into a bottle cap.
Jacob kept pretending until Livia tipped the cup of water over him.
"HEY! THAT'S ICE COLD!" Jacob yelled and quickly sat up. He looked up at her and his pupils shrank in fright.
"WHY ARE YOU SO BIG!"
Livia slowly reached over and pinched the silky thing stuck on his back and gently lifted it up.
"Look."
Jacob looked at her terrified "This is a nightmare right?...RIGHT!"
She shook her head.
"You were bitten by a Sprite and got a rare reaction. You are one now."
"I'm a what?..." Jacob stuttered.
"A Sprite, just like Callula."
"No way...it can't be..."
Livia opened a draw on the bedside table and took out a mirror and showed Jacob his reflection.
Jacob's jaw dropped, Livia wasn't lying, he was in fact a Sprite just like Callula. His ears were pointy and was able to droop them like her and his wings was a yellow tint. His eyes were also yellow.
"No! There has to be an antidote! I can't live like this! What is Ryan going to do? Livia do something please!"
"As I said this is rare, no one has an antidote for it yet, so you're just gonna have to live with it i'm afraid. If there was one, it have to be taken before the transformation. But you never know, you may enjoy it."
"How could I enjoy this! I can't do anything normally anymore!" Jacob cried.
"Stop over exaggerating, of course you can. Later Callula will show you how to morph back into your human form. Plus, I have a surprise for you anyway," Livia said and left the room.
Jacob was so confused, one minute he was hacking into the UMF, next thing he knew, he has to deal with being a Sprite. He exercised his wings, getting used to the feel of them and managing to hover a little above the bed. As he hovered steadily, Ryan burst into the room "JACOB!"
"AH!" Jacob screamed and crashed into the duvet. He sat up and saw his beloved brother kneeling down in front of him with tears in his eyes.
"Finny?...Finny i'm so sorry...I didn't want this!" Jacob wept.
"Jac look at me," Ryan said in a calm tone. Jacob looked up at him sadly.
"If you didn't become this, your friend Callula could've failed in saving her sister. I'm proud of you and I know this is a big shock for us all. UMF was a mistake and I am so sorry."
Jacob couldn't help but tear up again, he clutched onto Ryans arm and sobbed into it.
"You're a hero Jac. You thought I'd hate you now you are like this? This is not your fault."
"Do you think any less of me though?" Jacob stuttered through sobs.
"Of course not! You are still the same Jac I know and love."
Jacob welled up more.
"Finny you have no idea how much that means to me..."
Ryan gently used his index finger to lift Jacobs head to face him.
"I do now Jaccy, we'll get through this I promise."
Jacob hugged and cried into the finger. He was mixed with happiness and sadness but he was glad the one he loves most is here, back with him.
Callula entered the room shortly after "Hey Jacob how are you holding up? Quite a shock for you I'm sure."
The boys looked round to see her and Ryan answered.
"Shock for us both but I'm happy he's okay, that's all that matters to me."
Callula nodded.
"Apart from the whole sprite thing how do you feel Jacob?"
Jacob wiped his tears away and straightened up, trying to keep confident.
"Better that I'm here. Did we win? Are the Unusuals free?"
Callula smiled "Yes they are Jacob we did well, most importantly we got Luxie out and Ryan back."
"Well if I didn't go to the UMF Jac, Luxie could've been shot dead. I played a part in this too. Plus I carried you from the basement all the way to the top where the escape helicopter was. You're welcome," Ryan said with a slight chuckle at the end.
"Oh I'm sure Callula would have sorted that out no problem Ryan, but you did great and I'm so happy your back," Jacob said.
"If this makes you feel any better Jac, once I get back into the swing of a fashionista, doing what we used to do, you can use this form to put the thread into those sewing needles. I always get frustrated with the little holes! Man you are much more useful now," Ryan laughed and patted Jacob's head.
"Oh so now I'm just a handy tool Ryan? Nice to know!" Jacob giggled.
"Well... you can sneak into the kitchen for food in the night without alerting Emma with creaky floorboards too."
Livia piped up from outside the room. "Or you could use it for something useful like helping other Unusuals, just a thought."
Jacob's ears uprighted and smiled.
"This does make me feel better. Maybe this isn't going to be so bad after all."
"As soon as you can, get up and we'll get you sorted out alright?" asked Livia.
"I'll show you how to morph. Give you some eye contacts so people don't see that they are now yellow," Callula explained.
"That'll probably help, thanks Cal."
The girls disappeared and Ryan turned to Jacob.
"Lets hope Chloe don't discover this..."
"Oh yeah you're right, that'd be a nightmare," Jacob said nervously.
"This will be a secret between you, me and those guys out there in the common room okay?"
"Got it," Jacob replied.
Ryan smiled at him. "Now try fly more for me. I'll catch you if you fall."
"You got it!" Jacob tried again, this time flying a little bit higher.
He slowly flew up to Ryan's eye level, he looked down to see his hand under him.
"How does that feel Jaccy? You feel confident?"
"A bit, it's a little fiddly getting used to these new muscles."
"I'm sure you'll adapt, i guess it's like having 4 arms! Could be fun!"
"I guess."
"Keep trying and go a bit higher."
Jacob went slightly higher but lost balance and fell, landing onto Ryan's hand.
"Woah! I got you!"
Jacob sat up, shaking his head he looked at Ryan's hands then up to him grinning nervously.
Ryan chuckled "try again little buddy."
He took off again, this time, using his legs to boost him.
"There we go that's better!"
Jacob cheered and done a loop. This was great! He felt free and was enjoying himself a lot in the air. He flew around the room, landing occasionally.
"Well you are definitely getting the hang of it now!" Ryan said, sitting on the bed legs crossed.
"Yup! You have no idea what you are missing Finny."
"I would love to fly not gonna lie," Ryan chuckled.
Jacob hovered in front of him and patted his nose. "Maybe in our dreams Finny."
"May have to get bitten myself, maybe you could do it!"
"Nah. Livia said this is a rare effect. The most common is paralysis. I don't want to risk that Finny."
"Oh well, maybe one day, for now we have work to do little buddy."
"Yes. Learn to morph. Then what should we do?"
"Work to free other unusual I suppose, I assumed that's what these guys are about"
"They only said that this was a one time thing for me. We can go back to living normally and remain friends with these guys."
"Though if we like what they're doing, we can still help out"
"Sometimes. Not all. I just want to get home and put things back to normal, even though I am like this now."
"We'll make it work, should we tell Emma?"
Jacob paused. He totally forgot about her.
"No! She can't know about this! Just allow her to know about the attack and you were sent home and got a lift."
"That's makes sense, then she wouldn't want me going back which is perfect."
Jacob landed on the bedside table and sighed. "Even if she did, she might cage me for protection or something."
"No, no I don't think so, she isn't Chloe," Ryan replied.
"Well, wait until the time is right to tell her then."
"Yes, we should be honest with her."
There was a moment silence between them. Ryan looked over at Jacob and placed his hand upright next to him.
"Would you look at that...no taller than my hand."
Jacob looked at it then back to him.
"Stop picking on me!" Jacob laughed.
"I'm not! Its cute!"
"I'll give you cute in a minute once I know how to morph!"
"Well shall we get Callula in then?" Ryan asked.
"Not yet, still getting used to this whole thing. Having a bigger Ryan is putting hearts in my eyes," Jacob joked.
"Hey watch it you! None of that," Ryan chuckled.
"You know me Finny, I will not stop that."
"Some things never change do they?"
"Back at the Prison you were my prince carrying me out to safety," Jacob giggled.
"Oh and you were the princess yes?"
"I am whoever you want me to be Finny."
Callula walked in on them "Now what is all of this about hmm?"
Ryan looked up.
"Just Jac being Jac. He always flirts around me in a jokey way."
"Well I hope it's joking" Callula said with a raised eyebrow.
"Hey hey!" Jacob called over. "Don't get your wings in a twist! Get used to it!"
Callula giggled and shook her head.
"I'm kidding. I'm glad you two are alright now."
"So your gonna show me how to be human again?" Jacob asked.
Callula morphed and joined him.
"Yup. Then you can go home and get out of that."
"Yeah I can't wait it stinks of hatred!"
"Same here," Ryan said.
"Okay, it's really hard to explain but you need to imagine yourself morphing, just give it a try and see if something happens."
Jacob took a deep breath and tried to imagine. It was hard but he tried more, closing his eyes.
"It gets easier the more you do it anyway," Callula reassured. "It's like turning yourself inside out."
Jacob began to strain and clenched his body "Take it easy Jacob, don't force it, just let it happen gently."
He listened to her words and relaxed a bit. He felt something trying to get out inside him and released it.
In a flash Jacob opened his eyes and looked around, everything felt normal again. Something jumped on him, hugging him tightly.
"Oh Jaccy I'm so glad you can be my size again!" Ryan exclaimed from behind.
Jacob hugged back and began to ruff his hair.
"Missed me then?"
"You were never gone, but I miss your normal self...well almost normal self" Ryan said rubbing his back where his wings would be.
"It's only my eyes and teeth that are different in human disguise Finny. Teeth should be fine, no one will notice, just have to avoid the dentist as much as I can. And contacts for my eyes."
"Well you never go to the dentist anyway so no worries there" Ryan chuckled.
Jacob turned to Callula.
"Thank you Cal. We'll be in touch yes?"
"Of course no worries! Don't stay away too long okay?" Callula walked up to him and gave him a big hug.
"We won't. We'll be seeing Max and the others at school when we go back. I know where this place is so I could come over if you and Luxie is here, I'll drag this charming man with me," Jacob said, nudging Ryan.
"Awwww you really think im charming?" Ryan said.
"Always. What do you think Cal?"
"Hmmm hard to say when your standing next to him" Callula winked.
"Okay I'll leave the room and come back in 5 minutes so you can have a proper think," Jacob joked.
"Hey! Don't be so cheeky! I don't know how Ryan here stands being around you!"
"Sometimes Callula, neither do I," Ryan whispered.
"Hey im not that bad!...I think," Jacob huffed.
Callula giggled.
"Well I'm looking forward to seeing you again. I might message you later."
"If you do that'll be great! Me and Ryan need to find me some new clothes," Jacob said and Ryan done a little clap of excitement.
"We go home first then decide what to do next."
"Alrighty well you to get going now, i'll see you around!"

___________________________________________________________________________

The two boys took their exit from the safehouse after talking to everyone else, asking how Jacob was after the sudden shock. They were glad they were outside and standing next to each other once again.
"Well that was quite something wasn't it Jaccy?"
Jacob chuckled.
"Let's get back to normality as much as we can. Grab a pasty later or something."
"And!...get back into our fashion!"
"Your fashion, I'm just a tool," Jacob joked.
"Oh yes of course you are! Glad you're catching on" Ryan laughed.
Before they set off for the public street, Jacob stopped and looked down at himself.
"I don't really want to be seen in this."
Ryan turned to him.
"Maybe I could hide you until we get back?"

"Where?"
"Hmmm maybe in my pocket?"
"You think people won't notice? You might get glances in that uniform."
"We can take the route through the forest...less chance of being spotted then."
"Okay," Jacob said and morphed. "The pocket empty yes?"
"Should be, if you find any bullets or grenades let me know."
"Doubt you'll fit grenades or have any bullets fit in that little chest pocket," Jacob said and peeked it. "It's just a nice place to relax in."
"Well then hop on in!"
Jacob slid himself in and stretched.
"Onward!"
"You got it" Ryan entered the forest and walked through. It was getting late and the sun began setting so Ryan picked up the pace before he gets himself lost in the dark.
"Are we there yet!" Jacob shouted.
"Shut it Sprite, we get there when we get there," Ryan laughed, poking him.
"Hey! Mean!"
"I'll be mean if you want me to be."
"Oh no please dont!"
Ryan didn't listen and did up the button on his pocket, trapping Jacob inside.
"AGHHH! LET ME OUT!" Jacob yelled, trying to undo the button. Ryan laughed again.
"This is too funny. One of the best things that has happened to you Jac."
Jacob huffed
"You better not abuse your new power."
"What power is that then little buddy?"
"The power to torment me for being so little now!"
"Now why would I do that? I think this is funny and adorable."
"Just don't push it too far! I have feelings too you know!"
"I'll gift you to Chloe, be done with you."
"NO! DON'T YOU DARE!"
Ryan undid his pocket and peeked inside grinning, seeing Jacob looking unamused.
"Awww lighten up Jaccy, you know I would never do that."
Jacob flew out and slapped his nose quickly before going back inside.
"Hey! Now who's being mean!"
"You deserve it!"
"Well maybe, I can't argue with that."
Jacob stuck his tongue out at him then buried himself deeper into the pocket.

Time past and Ryan made it to the street where he and Jacob lives. No one was around and the moon has come up.
"Alright we're here now, we got back nice and safe."
Jacob flew out and morphed. He handed Ryan the front door keys.
"I'll head up to our window and wait for you. Good luck."
"Now you're just showing off! Alright i'll see you there"
Jacob morphed again and flew off. Ryan took a breath and turned the keys in the door and slowly pushed it open.
The orphanage was surprisingly quiet, not the usual screaming of excitable children could be heard.
"Who's there? Is that you Jacob?" called Emma from the office. She looked round and saw Ryan.
"Hey Emma..."
Emma slowly approached him, not taking off her eyes. She pulled him into a hug and kissed his forehead.
"Ryan baby I'm so happy you are alright. I heard what happened on the Radio. How did you get back?"
"It's okay Emma, We were escorted away and I got a lift back."
"Phew, that is a huge relief. I think Jacob might be upstairs, I don't remember him coming in. If he's not there, let me know and I'll call him ok?"
"No problem Emma, I'll go see him now."
Ryan rushed up the stairs and into his room but Jacob wasn't there. He looked at the window and saw him banging on it.
Ryan chuckled and took a seat grinning at him waving.
"Let me in! I'm cold!"
Ryan took a magazine and began to read it.
"RYAN COME ON!"
"Hmmm what's the magic words?"
"Finny is the best!"
"Well that's even better than what I was expecting!" Ryan got up and opened the window.
Jacob flew in and sat on Ryan's head. "I could be lying."
"If you are...I can throw you straight back out again."
"No! I love you!" Jacob barked, hugging onto a lock of hair.
"You better! I have the power now remember!"
"No you don't."
"Haha that's what you think Jaccy."
"Of course it is."
"Anyways it feels good to be back," Ryan said and sat back down. Jacob hovered down onto his lap and knelt, relaxing his wings.
"It's good to have you back Finny, what was it actually like there?"
"Horrible. Definitely not what I was expecting on the inside. They told us all lies just to reel idiots like me in."
"From what I saw on the security footage, they were nothing but abusive to the Unusuals," Jacob said.
Ryan sighed. "They had Luxie strapped to a machine because she attacked a mercenary and was about to be killed. My Superior told me to do it and all I could think of there and then was you, what if it was you strapped there or what you would do if I came back and you finding out I killed her and other Unusuals."
"I knew you wouldn't have it in you to do that Finny, you are so much better than that, and I definitely wasn't wrong."
"Well I'm here and I ain't doing something so stupid like that again."
"Good! I'll hold you to that" Jacob giggled.
Ryan also giggled.
"No, I'll hold you with that!"
"No holding me mister!"
"Who's gonna stop me?" Ryan said, moving his hand closer to Jacob.
"Uh oh..."
Jacob scooted back slowly, watching him nervously.
"Im kidding! I won't do that unless I have to!"
"I think I rather be asked for permission mister!" Jacob said, pointing his finger at him.
"Alright alright your the boss!"
Jacob turned his back with his wings up and huffed.
"Good."
"I hope you don't become too bossy."
"I still am the same. I just feel more cautious now."
"Rightfully so, I'll make sure no harm comes to you."
"Aww thanks Finny."
Ryan pinched the back of Jacob's shirt and put him on the desk.
"I'll be right back!"
"Okay!"
Ryan dashed out the room and ran down into the basement. He remembered there was a manikin hiding behind the staircase wearing a brown jacket with black rims round the bottom, arm sleeves and collar. It has black buttons on and an inside pocket. This was meant to be for Jacob for Christmas last year but he forgot about it. He pulled it off and ran back up.
"Close your eyes Jaccy!" Ryan said as he walked in, hiding the jacket behind his back.
Jacob looked at him and closed his eyes.
"Okay you can open!"
Jacob then opened his eyes to see the brown jacket.
"Is that for me?"
"Of course it is! Perfect timing and we can get you out of that horrible uniform!"
Jacob morphed and took the jacket. He took a pair of black jeans from the wardrobe and raced to the bathroom.
A few moments later he came out fully decked in his new attire.
"This totally brings out my new eye colour Finny, thank you!"
"You're welcome!"
Jacob morphed and stood back on the desk.
"Yep. Totally brings out the wings too."
"I take it you like it?"
"Of course!"
"Well you should get changed again, time for bed!"
"Aww... I don't want too!"
"No one wants to but we have to!"
"Make me!" Jacob said and took off.
"Should I go get Emma hmm?"
"You wouldn't dare," Jacob called from on top of a shelf.
"Try me!" Ryan reached for the door.
"Go on then! I know you won't. I know you too well."
Ryan opened the door "Emma!"
"NO!" Jacob yelled and pulled on Ryan's hair, away from the door.
"Ow ow!" Ryan exclaimed in pain.
"You will not expose me this way!" Jacob said and continued pulling.
"Then get ready for bed!"
"It's only 8pm!"
"We have an early morning! Best turn in now."
Jacob stopped pulling and hovered next to him.
"Fine okay!"
"Thank you."
Jacob looked at him bemused then chuckled.
"Our normality eh?"
"Yup it would seem so."
Jacob morphed human and hugged Ryan.
"I'll be back, getting my PJs on."

5 minutes past and Jacob returned in his grey pyjamas. Ryan was already in his bed reading the magazine. Jacob got into his and stretched.
"Never have I slept so much in one day."
"At least this time you'll be doing it willingly am I right?" Ryan joked.
"From Snow White to Sleeping Beauty..."
"Well that's one way of putting it, good night Jaccy."
"Goodnight."
Ryan reached over to the bedside table and turned off the lamp.
"No sneaking out you hear me," he said and snuggled down.
"I promise." Jacob replied. "Oh and Finny?"
"Yes?"
"Still great to have you back safe and sound."
"It is so good to be back."