Chapter 13

Images flash before my eyes, whispers floating around me.
I stare around in confusion and wonder as everything slows down, coming to rest on one memory.
It's Courtney and I in the elevator. Our lips almost touching as we stare up at one another. Suddenly the image dissolves, and an imitation of the previous one appears.
Only it's different.

Our lips are pressed together, and our bodies are closer than before.

Suddenly a voice calls out to me, sending shivers down my spine as all the images dematerialise and the whispers fade away.

"Shayne. Please wake up." She pauses and I recognise Courtney's voice. "I love you."

My eyes shoot open and I feel the pressure on my chest lifted. Courtney stares at me in disbelief. "You're awake!"
I smile weakly at her. "Yeah. Are you okay?"
She nudges my arm playfully. "Why are you asking me that? You're the one who passed out for nine hours."
My jaw drops. "Nine hours?" I finally take a moment to glance around at my surroundings. The first thing I notice is a table next to Courtney. A container of half eaten takeaway food is on it. Also, everything is white. "I'm in a hospital." I think aloud. "Why am I in a hospital?"
"Noah said we should take you, and you looked dead. We thought you should get your nose checked anyway." she tells me, playing with the sleeve of her shirt.
"So is everyone here or...." I leave the sentence unfinished, waiting for her reply.
"No, they all went home." She lets go of her sleeve, resting her hands in her lap.
I study Courtney's expression. She looks tired. "What time is it?"
"It's midnight."
"Courtney! Why did you stay?" I ask, shaking my head in disbelief.
"I couldn't leave you alone. I said I'd go two hours ago, but I couldn't make myself leave." She pauses, staring at her feet. "Olivia knows I'm still here."
"Well, if you want to go, you can." I tell her, sitting up.
"No, it's okay. I want to stay." Courtney smiles at me, curling a stray piece of hair behind her ear.
I nod, smiling back. "Okay then. If you're sure."
"Yes, I'm sure. I'm going to go get the nurse. She told me to get her if you woke up." Courtney skips out of the room, leaving me feeling slightly confused, but strangely happy.

After about five minutes, she returns, a nurse following her. The nurse walks up to the side of my bed, smiling at me. "Welcome back Mr Topp. How are you feeling?"

I ruffle my already messy hair. "I'm feeling good."
"Okay..." She scribbles something down on her clipboard. "No pain? No dizziness?"
"No. I'm fine." I say, scratching the back of my head.
"Good. Well we did check, and you don't have concussion, but you still need to take some time off work. Preferably three to four days, just to be safe." The nurse informs me, straightening her uniform as she looks down at her clipboard. "You should be okay to leave in the morning. We will come and check on you at nine tomorrow."

Courtney thanks her, and the nurse exits the room.
"Are you sure you don't want to go?" I ask, grinning as she rolls her eyes.
"Shayne, for the last time, I'm staying!" She laughs, sitting back down on the chair next to me.
I raise my eyebrows, still grinning. My grin slowly fades away as I see her shiver, drawing her jacket further around her shoulders. I move over in the bed, making a space for her. "Why don't you come lay down? You're gonna need some sleep."
"Is there enough room?" she asks, and I notice her cheeks going slightly pink.

"Plenty. Also it's not good for your back to sleep on a chair."

She rises from her chair, and climbs onto the bed. I lay down, throwing the thin covers open so she can slip under.

After a long silence, Courtney looks up at me. "Shayne?"
"Yeah?" I reply, glancing down at her.
"I just wanted to thank you for standing up for me yesterday. You made me feel much better."
"No problem. Also, I don't want to seem like a smart ass, but I called it." I say, and even though I try, I can't wipe the smile off my face.
"I'm sorry. I should've listened to you. You're always right in these situations." Courtney sighs, adjusting her position on the pillow.
"Don't be sorry. Everyone makes mistakes." I prop myself up on my elbow. " We trust people we shouldn't, that's just how it is."
Courtney smiles, tapping my arm softly. "What's with you and all this wisdom?"
"I'm not really sure. Maybe I woke up to myself after Kristen and I broke up." I close my eyes briefly as I remember my ex-girlfriend.
Courtney seems to notice me reminiscing, and changes the subject. "Goodnight Shayne."
I lay down again, gazing into her emerald green eyes. "Goodnight Courtney."