Chapter 5

I wake up to a wet nose poking into my cheek, and little puffs of air on my skin.
I open my eyes and my cat is standing near my face. She sniffs me again before leaping gracefully off the bed. I throw the covers off, swinging my legs out from under the blanket.
 I make my way to the bathroom, taking a quick shower.
After, I have my breakfast and a coffee, stepping out on my small balcony to watch the cars rush along the road below.
I check my watch, it is about five minutes before Kristen will arrive, if she is on time. I take another sip of my coffee, leaning against the cold railing.
The pleasant breeze ruffles my hair, and I close my eyes, relaxing. That is, until, I hear a faint knock, coming from my front door. 

I walk back inside, placing my coffee on the counter. 
I pause at the front door, my fingers hovering over the handle. I open the door. Kristen is standing there, a large Tupperware container in her arms. I stand aside, allowing her to walk into the main room. I follow her, turning the corner just as she enters her room.

I pick my coffee back up, sipping it. It's lukewarm.
 I didn't even leave it that long!
I place it back on the counter, I've never liked it cold. 

I decide to help Kristen pack her stuff. I tell myself she'll be gone sooner if I help her.
So I walk over to the entry to her room, leaning against the doorframe. "Do you need any help?" 
She looks up as she slips another book into her container. "Uh, yeah. Could you pack this with my books while I go grab the other containers?" 

I nod. "Sure. Just make sure you leave the door unlocked so you can get back in."
I kneel down next to the shelf, loading the books in one after the other. I continue doing this for what seems like ages, until she finally returns. The shelf is almost empty. 
She places two more containers on the floor, unclipping the lids.
She begins emptying the cupboards, organising the various items as she packs. 
After about ten minutes, she stops, looking up at me as I clip the lid back onto the container.
"Shayne, can we talk?" She looks anxious, fiddling with a loose strand of her hair.

"Sure." I gesture toward the door, suggesting silently that we go to the main area. She stands up, exiting the room, and I follow.

 We seat ourselves on the lounge, and she begins to speak. "I'm really sorry for what I did to you. I wasn't thinking straight." She pauses. "I really honestly do still love you. Can you try to forgive me?" 

I don't know what to say. I open my mouth to speak, when a loud smashing noise erupts from the kitchen. I unclench my fist, getting to my feet. "Excuse me for one moment."
I jog into the kitchen, and just as I expected, my coffee mug is in pieces all over the floor, and my cat is staring at me from the counter. "You just can't stay out of trouble, can you?" I shoo her off the counter, staring down at the mess.

I'm about to go and get the mop, when a hand pushes my shoulder around, and lips press against mine. I pull away, seeing Kristen, her face streaked with tears, dark lines of mascara running down her face. She kisses me again, and I can't help but kiss her back. She pushes me up against the wall, sliding her hands up to my collar. She unbuttons my shirt slowly, without breaking the kiss. Kristen pulls me away from the wall, directing me back to the couch. She pushes me down onto it, and before I can get up to stop her, she throws a leg over my midsection, continuing to make out with me. She reaches for the fifth button, undoing it. Kristen unbuttons the last three of them, throwing my shirt open. Now caught up, I slide my arms out of the material, sitting up. I pull my shirt off the couch, dropping it to the floor.
She pulls away for a moment, removing her own shirt. She leans in again, and as much as I want to continue, I stop her.
"We can't." I whisper.

"Why not? This is what it could be like. We can be happy again." Tears spill onto her cheeks, tinted with black makeup.

"Kristen, I can't be with you. This is not happiness. You realise that when you cheat on someone, you can't expect them to want to get back together again." I lift her off my lap, standing up. "Also, do yourself a favour and get rid of Bryan. He's a dick."

I put my shirt back on, doing up all the buttons as I walk into the kitchen, kneeling down to pick up the broken pieces of china off the floor.
I hear Kristen shut the door of her room, continuing to pack.
I stop for a second, swiping a tear off my cheek.
I can't let her back into my life.