Chapter 12

I find Courtney on the street, her hand hanging by her side, grasping her phone tightly. She is glaring at the rushing cars, waiting for something. Or someone.
"Shayne, I need you to help me. I texted him to say to pick me up outside the office." Courtney slips her phone in her pocket turning to me. "We're gonna give this piece of shit what he deserves."
I nod, the plan forming slowly in my mind. Courtney fills in the details, and now all we have to do is wait. 

***

After about five minutes, a small black Mazda pulls up at the curb, and Chris steps out, a smug look painted on his face.

 I am currently hiding behind a bench, feeling claustrophobic. My anger is slowly building as I stare at Chris's stupid face.
Courtney is sitting on the bench opposite me, but when she sees Chris, she smiles at him, rising. I can see the loathing in her eyes, even though tries to hide it.
He grins at her, his fingers tracing her arm softly, his face a bit too close to hers for my liking. "So. Where do you wanna go?"
"I'll tell you in a minute, but first I want to tell you something." Courtney says, twirling around, a happy look plastered on her face.
"Okay then. What do you wanna tell me?" Chris watches her spin back into his arms, a wide smile on his face before Courtney slaps it straight off.
"That's for lying to me."
She slaps him again, her grin completely gone.
"And that's for punching my best friend."
She grabs him by the collar, her face close to his. "I never want to see you again, you hear me? I don't want you. I don't need you. And I most certainly don't want you around me and my friends. I'm going to block you from my phone, and you are never going to contact me again." She pushes him and he stumbles away from her. She turns, starting to walk back to the building.
"Well you know what?" Chris throws up his arms. "I never would've dated you anyway! You're a stupid bitch!" 

She freezes, her back rigid. If there's anything I know about Courtney, it's that she hates being called a bitch.

I have to confront him. 

I vault over the bench, walking up to him, and he knows he's made a big mistake, but he still tries to act confident. 
"Good move, Courtney. You got your 'boyfriend' to protect you? He's weak as fuck. Can't even beat me in a fight. He's like a entree among the main course. I can eat him in one bite." Chris calls out to her, his eyes still on me. My only advice to him is to work on his metaphors. 
I swing my fist at his face. "Eat this, bitch." 

My knuckles make contact with his face, and my skin stings a little bit as he falls into the shrubbery, dazed. I take this moment to grab Courtney's arm and lead her back to the building as she shouts obscenities at Chris. I push the door open, dragging her to the elevator. It's only when we get in it, that she stops yelling, and leans against my shoulder, taking a deep breath. 
I press our level, and just as I do, Courtney buries her face in my shirt and cries. I place my other arm around her, my hand caressing her hair. Her body shudders as she sobs, and I pull her tighter into my embrace. 

Soon she looks up at me, her mascara running. I smile at her, patting her on the back. "You're gonna need to redo your makeup for the vlog."
Courtney laughs, wiping the black tinted tears off her cheeks. "I'm sorry about your shirt."
I glance down at it, and my eyes alight on the dark mascara stains on the light material. "It's okay. I already got blood on it." I smile at her. "Guess it's time to do some laundry."
Courtney places her hand on my chest. "You know what, Shayne? I think I'm gonna take a break from relationships too. They always turn to shit." She pauses, looking straight into my eyes, and for a moment, my breath is stolen, and the constant slamming of pain in my head is gone. 

I've never noticed how beautiful her eyes are... 

We stare at each other for what seems like an eternity, both of us stuck in a trance. We are drawn together until our lips are almost touching, lost in each other's eyes.

Suddenly the elevator dings and the doors slide open. The spell is broken, and Courtney tears herself away from me, clearing her throat. She strides out of the elevator, and I follow.
I jump, startled as Noah suddenly barrels around the corner.
"Are you guys okay?" he asks, straightening his glasses.

Courtney smiles slightly. "Yeah. Chris is a asshole though."
Noah hugs her. "I'm just glad you're okay."
I raise my eyebrows. "Hey, what about me?"
Noah grins, walking up and giving me a hug. As I hug him back, I start to feel dizzy, and the throbbing in my head returns.
I feel myself start to fall, but before I hit the ground, everything goes black.