Chapter 26: Elaina's Report

Today was the day that the students were to present their reports. It wasn't just any regular report. This was a report that was presented at Family Night at Auradon Prep. Family Night was different than Family Day; Family Night was the night families could come, tour the school, and see what their kids were doing in class.

Everyone was joined in the auditorium. Elaina sat by her parents with her report in her hands. "I don't know if I can do this," Elaina said with nervousness in her voice.

"Of course you can do this," Doug said. "I've read your report so many times, and it's excellent. See, you got an A on it," Doug said, pointing at the paper.

"I know, but there's...just...so many people," Elaina said, looking around the auditorium. Right now, Mackenzie, the granddaughter of the Mad Hatter, was giving her presentation on when and when not to have a celebratory party.

"Elaina, look at me," Evie said, pulling her daughter close. "You are going to do just fine. If you get stuck, just look at your dad and me. We'll be cheering you on."

"We all will be," Mal said, overhearing the conversation. Elaina looked over Mal's shoulder to see Ben, Brelyn, Jay, Lonnie, Jacey, Carlos, Jane, Cayla, Allen, Mallory, and Aria.

"Sorry we're late," Hannah said as she approached. She was joined by Uma, Harry, Greg, and Gil. "Someone was busy at the dessert table."

"They have ten different flavors of cake," Greg said.

"See," Evie said. "You have so many people cheering you on."

"Thank you, Mackenzie," Fairy Godmother said. "Our next presenter will be reading from her research paper on the Isle of the Lost. Please welcome to the stage, Elaina Dwarfman."

Elaina's family cheered as she made her way to the stage. "Hello, my name is Elaina Dwarfman, and I am part of Auradon Prep's eleventh grade class. I decided to do my report on the Isle of the Lost, not just because I chose my topic late and it was the only one left," the audience chuckled, "but because the island is a part of who I am. As many of you may know, my mother, Evie Dwarfman, who was known as Evie Grimhilde, was born and raised on the Isle of the Lost. Her mother is the Evil Queen, who wanted Snow White dead because of her beauty. Whenever people think of the Isle of the Lost, they think of villains. They think of the villains who caused their families pain and heartache. Now, those feelings are understandable, but is it really fair to have those feelings towards their descendants? Many of the villain kids, including my mother, were punished for the actions of their parents. They didn't get a say on where they got to live. They didn't get a say as to who was raising them."

"Recently, I set foot on the Isle of the Lost myself. I always wondered why my mother never talked about the Isle to me. I thought she was keeping secrets from me. I felt hurt. I was her daughter; why wouldn't she want to tell me about her past? But after being on the Isle myself, I finally understood why. The villain kids did not have it easy. They were manipulated, abused, and used by their parents. My mother was raised to think that her reflection in the mirror was what defined her. She was raised to manipulate others. She was raised to be a heartbreaker. I can be the first to tell you all that she is nothing like that. When she moved to Auradon, she found out that she was truly intelligent. She also fell in love with someone who wasn't necessarily a prince in blood, but a prince at heart."

"When I was on the Isle, I saw for myself that everything is not what it seems. There are people living in poverty. People are living in a world where stealing and lying and fighting were keys to survival. I think that is the reason why Auradon doesn't realize what truly goes on. Everyone here is practically handed everything they want, while people on the Isle have to fight just to be alive. As someone who was raised in an orphanage, I can relate to the Isle kids. Even though villain kids seem to be a norm, people are still very wary of them. Here's what I have to say to that: any time you come across a descendant of a villain and feel wary about them, just think about the life they had before Auradon. Think about their past before you make any assumptions. That way, we can have a happier and better Auradon. Thank you."

The crowd cheered as Elaina finished presenting. A smile had grown upon her face, but the biggest smile she had ever seen was on her parents' faces. Elaina walked towards them, and they both embraced her.

"You did so good!" Evie said. "We are so proud of you."

"See," Doug began, "we told you everything was going to be fine."

"I have to say, Mini Blueberry," Uma said, using the nickname she had come up with for Elaina. Uma still uses the Core 4's nicknames she has for them, but she means it all in good fun. "That was a really good report. I think you perfectly described the Isle and what needs to be done."

"Thank you, Uma," Elaina said.

The parents continued to talk amongst themselves when someone tapped on Elaina's shoulder. When Elaina turned around, she was met with a little girl, who was around nine years old or so. "Arianna!" Elaina exclaimed, bending down to the girl's height to hug her.

"Hi Laina," Arianna said, using another one of Elaina's nicknames. "You're report was really good."

"Aw thank you. Where's your mom?" Elaina asked.

"Um," Arianna said, looking through the crowd for her mother. "There!" she said after spotting her. "Mommy! Over here!"

"Arianna, you can't just run off like that. You almost scared me half to death," Arianna's mother said.

"Sorry mommy."

"Hey, Aunt Dizzy," Elaina said.

"Elaina!" Dizzy said, hugging the young bluenette. "Your report was amazing."

"Thank you."

"Hey Dizzy," Evie said, placing her arm around her daughter.

"Hey, Evie," Dizzy said. "You know, your daughter is starting to be a lot like you."

Evie looked down at Elaina, who looked up at her. Evie smiled. "She sure is."

"And if it wasn't for her, I would've never adopted my sweet, little Arianna."

Evie giggled. "Yeah."

"Anyway, we were just about to head out, and we just wanted to stop by and say hi before we leave," Dizzy said.

"Well, it was really nice to see you again, Dizzy," Evie said.

"You too, Evie," Dizzy said. "Come on, Ari. It's getting late."

"Okay. Bye Auntie Evie. Bye Elaina," Arianna said as she followed her mother. Evie and Elaina waved to the little girl as she and her mother left.

Evie sighed. "This is who you are," Evie told Elaina. "You are going to make a difference in this world. I am sure of it. You can do anything you put your heart to. You just be you, okay?"

"Okay," Elaina replied.

Evie smiled. "Come on. Your father and the others are waiting." Evie and Elaina joined hands as they walked back to their family. Elaina told herself that she would never forget what her mother had told her that night.