Chapter 14: Change of Heart

Mal, Evie, Jay, and Carlos rushed to Ursula's Fish and Chip Shop. Mal entered first as she pushed open the swinging door. The whole shop's attention was drawn to her. Uma smirked as she saw the purple-haired women. She smiled more as she saw Evie, Jay, and Carlos enter. "We're back," Mal said in a slight sing-song voice.

"I've been waiting for your arrival," Uma said. "I've been holding something very special for you."

"We know," Jay said.

"Where are Brelyn, Elaina, Jacey, and Cayla?" Carlos asked.

"Oh, wouldn't you like to know?" Uma teased. "I'll just say that they're in good hands." Uma turned her attention to Evie. "Why, you're a bit silent today, aren't you, Blueberry?"

"Just give me my daughter," Evie said.

Mal looked around the room. She spotted the teenage girl who looked to be the perfect mix of Uma and Harry. "That one yours?" Mal asked, motioning to the girl.

"Hannah," Uma said, motioning to her daughter to come. "This is my wonderful daughter, as you can see."

"And you would do anything for her?" Mal asked.

"Where are you going with this, Princess?" Uma asked. "I've seen all your tricks, so nothing will work."

"Well, you haven't seen this one," Mal said.

Uma gave her a confused look. "Go on."

"Your daughter, she's you're pride and joy, right?" Mal asked.

Uma looked at Hannah then at Harry, who had just walked up. "I guess you could say that," Uma replied.

Subtly, a smile began to creep up Hannah's face. "You actually think of me of like that?"

"Well, duh," Uma said. "You are my only child. Why wouldn't I think that?"

"Hannah," Mal began, "has your mother actually told you that she loved you? Or both of your parents for that matter?"

Hannah looked at Uma, then at Harry, then at Mal. Her smile soon turned back into a frown. "N-Not that I can remember."

Uma looked to Mal, except this time, she wasn't mad. She had a rather somber expression. "Uma, can I talk to you for a second?" Uma didn't respond. She nodded slowly before she and Mal made their way to a table.

"I'm gonna be over there with Gil," Harry told Hannah. Hannah nodded in agreement. "If you need anything, just come. By the way, I love you."

"I love you too," Hannah responded.

Hannah was left alone with Evie, Jay, and Carlos. "So, what's your favorite color?" Carlos asked.

"Really?" Hannah asked.

"Did your parents ever bother to know?"

"Teal and red I guess," Hannah replied.

"I could see that," Evie said. "I can tell you are gorgeously covered head to toe in them."

"You think I'm pretty?" Hannah asked.

"Of course."

"I just have a question, why did you have to trick our daughters like that?" Jay asked.

"It was part of the plan," Hannah said. "My mother always told me that one day the world would know both of our names. She told me that this was a step towards that. She told me that my life would be so much better after that. I guess she was wrong. Really, I want to live in Auradon. I don't want to be evil. I want to learn things like math, science, and history."

"Well, if you aren't evil, can you tell us where our kids are?" Evie asked.

Hannah was debating whether to tell them or not. They were going to be mad. Hannah looked at her mother, who seemed to be having a normal conversation with Mal without blowing the place up. Hannah then looked back to the three adults looking at her. If she wanted to prove herself as good, she couldn't lie. "Well, you see..."

Mal looked into Uma's eyes. "Uma, I know you're not a bad person. I know you can be so much more than that. I saw the way you looked at the Cotillion. I just have to ask, though, why did you stay here when we gave you a second chance?"

Uma sighed. "What I did at the Cotillion was bad," she said. "After that night, I was truly a villain. I knew Auradon could never forgive me for what I did that night. I could never forgive myself."

"What about your daughter?" Mal asked. "Hannah seems like a nice kid."

"She's an amazing kid," Uma said with a smile. "The day she was born was the best day of mine and Harry's life. She's smart. She's truly a kid that deserves to be in Auradon." Uma's smile turned back to a frown. "Her birth was also the worst day of my life. I told myself that I would never raise any future kids the way my mother raised me. But I had the chance to raise her in a safe environment. The decision I made destroyed my child's future before she was even born. When I looked at her face, I thought of the life she could've had. The only reason me and Harry never told her we loved her was because we needed her to grow up tough. We needed her to be able to survive on her own on this island. I'm just like my mother."

"I wouldn't say that," Mal said.

"What?"

"Uma, we used to be best friends when we were kids. You are nothing like your mother. You're smart as well. Everyone makes mistakes."

"But what I did was unacceptable."

"Uma, to be honest, I was only mad at you back then because I didn't know why you were doing this. I mean, I knew you were jealous, but me, Jay, Evie, and Carlos had no choice. But after, we totally disregarded the rest of the kids. You had a right to be mad. Now, that you opened up to me, I know that you can be trusted in Auradon. It may take some time, but I'm sure Auradon can forgive you. Can you forgive yourself though? But if not for you, for your daughter."

Uma looked back to where Hannah was talking to Evie, Jay, and Carlos. "What are you saying?"

"Uma, would you and your family like to come to Auradon?" Mal asked.

"Really?" Uma asked in shock. "B-But what about Ben a-and Fairy Godmother?"

"I'm sure I can talk some sense into them."

"Just one thing," Uma began, "I have to bring my crew and their families too. The only reason why they all stayed was because of me. They deserve a life in Auradon too."

"Done."

"Oh yeah, one more thing..." Uma began.

"OUR PARENTS HAVE OUR KIDS?!" Evie, Jay, and Carlos shouted.

AN: I know Uma's redemption (if that's what you want to call it) is kinda rushed but I had no other way to get to what's going to happen next ;)