t w e l v e (mature)

*Xavier's pov*

"All I'm saying is maybe you have abandonment issues," Mads says nonchalantly, like she didn't just accuse me of how deep-rooted issues. Madison and Jeremy were sitting across from me at my wooden desk. Somehow our weekly, general meeting discussion topic ended up being about me.

"Guys, I said I was fine," I groan, leaning into my soft, rolling chair.

"Yeah, sure you are," Mads scoffs.

"Okay. So what? Maybe I have been a little moody, but I'm just stressed," I say in my defense. "If one prisoner could escape, what's stopping all the other ones."

"Probably the fact that our prison is so damn secure," Jeremy states. "You and Madison did a whole presentation on proving how great our prison is!"

"Look, Xavier, we know you. You only act like this when you like someone," Mads explains.

"Wait! You're dating someone!" Jeremy interjects.

"No!" Madison and I say in unison. I'm about to say something snarky to Madison how she doesn't know my dating life, but she quickly adds,

"That's the whole point! He never dates anyone because he wants to protect himself. Everyone knows he had a tough childhood, yet he still overcame all of his past issues," she says. I scoff at this, a little annoyed with her. Then, she turns her head and faces me. "Xavier, you probably are one of the best alpha's out there, but you need to start opening yourself up. Our pack deserves a Luna. You deserve one," she says, getting up to wrap her arms around me.

"You are so dramatic! I just don't like anyone," I say, lightly pushing her off of me.

"You never do! That girl in high school you really liked. What was her name? Anyway, she broke up with you because you were too clingy!" Goddess, I really hate Mads right now for bringing that up. I'm slightly embarrassed, and my cheeks turn a light pink; however, I am still quick to defend myself, no matter how embarrassed I am.

"First of all, I was only clingy because I'm an Alpha! She just thought I was clingy, but I was just possessive. Second of all, maybe I was a little too clingy, but that's only because I thought she would leave me to go back to Darius! Third of all, I told you that in confidence," I say shifting my glare from Madison to Jeremy.

"That's not fair! Alpha, bros before hoes! You should've told me that!" Jer says, earning a punch from Madison. If looks could kill, he would be six feet under for what he just said. "I'm sorry, babe! It's just an expression. I didn't actually mean it!"

"Both of you need to stop interrupting me! Moving on. After that, you never dated anyone! Remember, you really liked that girl Angelica, from the Lawless pack, but you didn't want to commit to anything because you thought she would end up cheating. Like, who even has that mindset!" I roll my eyes, and try to get up out of my seat, but she pushes me back in my chair. "I am serious, Xavier! That is so toxic!"

"Why would I want to date someone, who would end up hurting me? It was being cautious!" I exclaim.

"Xavier, we both know that you know girls adore you. Goddess, if you didn't, maybe you wouldn't be so cocky! But I know deep down, you are scared that people will leave you, and that's why you only settle for fuck buddies. You're twenty seven years old, how long are you gonna keep this up for?" she asks. She looks so concerned for me, that I almost feel bad for saying,

"I guess until my dick shrivels up, and no one wants to fuck me. Doubt that will happen soon," I smirk smugly, making Jeremy laugh. He quickly shuts up when Madison glares at him.

"I just want to help you... Ever since that trip, you have seemed so sad."

"I know, Mads, and I love you for that, but seriously you don't have to diagnose me... You know that girl I met on the trip? I lied about something." I didn't think I would ever tell another soul about what happened, but I felt like I owed my best friends the truth. Plus, I have been so conflicted for the past month that having their opinion might be helpful. However, actually telling them the truth was so difficult. I wanted to tell them, but the words seemed stuck in my throat. "The person I- um... hooked up with was a g-guy," I finally spit out. Madison eyes get so big and her mouth is opened so wide. She's carefully scanning my face to see if there's any smile, and if I am pulling a prank on her. When she realizes I am telling the truth, she bends down to give me a tight hug.