*UPDATED* Chapter 18: Poseidon & Amphitrite

The one on the right is the important one to keep in mind while the left is just what I actually want the pearl in the center of the right one to look like.

-

There's a brief moment of pause but Serena doesn't even hesitate to nod her head in affirmation and her resolve to listen is clear.

"Very well then. I shall start from the beginning..."

The world was a tumultuous time back then being that it was the time of the Celestial Wars. Young Poseidon was but five centuries old at the time when the conflict was at its highest. However, despite the war the ocean was still filled with joyous song as it was the season of love. Merpeople across the world were preparing for that special day to which they'd gift their beloved with a song from their heart.

"Poseidon, my son. You look most cheerful this day," said the Sea Goddess as she had chosen to take on the form of a mermaid so as to interact with the creatures of the deep.

Poseidon couldn't stop the grin that had blossomed upon his handsome face. "Today is the day of love dear Mother!" The excitement was palpable as the Sea Goddess found herself smiling at the joyous man before her. The two had been enjoying a momentary respite in the gardens whilst listening to the beautiful song of merpeople in the distance.

The Sea Goddess released an amused chuckle as her eyes sparkle as they gazed upon her beloved son. "I would very much like to meet the lovely mermaid who has captured your heart." However, Poseidon's face falls just the slightest at the mention of this and it doesn't go unnoticed by his mother. "Though there appears to be something that troubles you. Tell me dear one, what ails you?"

Poseidon releases a sigh as he runs his hand through the black locks floating about his head. "There is yet another who would hold a place in this fair mermaid's heart." The goddess smiled softly as she swam forward and placed her hands upon her son's face.

"So you must compete with this merman then?" She asks even though she already knows the answer. "I have not a doubt in my mind that you possess the most beautiful song with an equally as beautiful voice. Sing from your heart and I am sure she will return your love," she said reassuringly before a whirl of water swooped down before them and took on the shape of a mermaid made completely of water.

"My Lady, forgive me for my rude interruption but I fear things have taken a turn for the worst!" The mermaid exclaimed as her white eyes widened in urgency.

The Sea Goddess turns to Poseidon as he stares at her with a serious look in his eye. "Forgive me, dear one. I must return to the front already," she said apologetically as Poseidon shook his head with a reassuring smile.

"Our time may have been short but this takes precedent over all things. Do not trouble yourself with me, but do you not need me there with you?" Poseidon asked curiously as the Sea Goddess smiled at his thoughtfulness.

"I shall be fine without you. You just worry about your matters of the heart," she said before turning to the mermaid comprised of water. "What has happened?"

"The Earth Goddess has extended her roots deep into the sea and even as we speak Lady Scorpio is doing all she can to hold the roots at bay."

"What is their destination?" The Sea Goddess asked seriously as the two disappeared into a whirlwind of water leaving Poseidon alone in the gardens.

Poseidon sighs as he left the gardens and returned to the palace. He had wanted to tell his mother the name of the wonderful mermaid that had caught his eye but that'll have to wait for another time, he supposed. He's not left to his thoughts for long before a servant came bustling down the hall in a hurry as though she were looking for something.