*UPDATED* Chapter 1: The Song

How, can something so beautiful be so deadly? Or better yet, how can the thing she loves so much cause her such pain?

Serena's hands are closed into fists that produce white knuckles. Tears glisten within her eyes as they stare out into the vast expanse of the ocean. Nothing in life has ever gone her way. If it had, then her mother would still be here.

Even now, she can hear her mother's voice, screaming her name as she succumbed to the onslaught of waves amidst a storm.

For a brief moment, the skies appear dark and turbulent. The sea rages with misplaced anger. But then everything becomes clear blue skies with seagulls diving in and out of the water.

Her heart constricts painfully as the first of the tears slide down pale cheeks. No matter how hard she tries, she always comes back. Even when her family says she shouldn't.

Just then, her phone buzzes in her pocket. One hand digs it out while the other furiously wipes at the tears threatening to spill over.

It takes her a moment to collect herself before she decides to look at the Caller ID.

Caspian Adamaris, her oldest brother. For a moment, she stares at the smiling picture staring back at her with similarly colored blue eyes. She can't quite remember the cause for that smile since his manner is usually more subdued, but it was pleasing to see, nonetheless.

The phone gives another furious buzz, reminding her to answer it.

"Hey Cas," she says softly, using the nickname he was given as a child.

Caspian replies distastefully, "Still going to the beach I see."

Serena can almost see the grimace on his face at the mere mention of the offending place. After all, their mother's death affected them all in some type of way. Caspian was just better at hiding it.

"What did you need?"

Caspian sighs too close to the speaker. "Do you see what time it is?"

Serena takes the phone from her ear for a moment to stare at the little white numbers in the corner. 7:45 AM. The warning bell rings in about five minutes.

She places the phone back against her ear as she turns and glances out at the ocean once again.

"Well, Rion already went ahead," says Caspian before his voice fades out for a moment to talk to someone. "Zale should be waiting for you on the side of the road."

Serena nods absentmindedly, only realizing a second later that Caspian can't see her.

"I'm going, I'm going," she murmurs quietly before uttering a quiet goodbye. She releases a little sigh as she picks up the indigo school bag sitting by a cluster of rocks. She shoves her phone in the pocket of the bag and slides it onto her shoulder as she walks.

In the distance, she can see the little guardhouse, the surf shop, and the frozen yogurt shop beside the main street. There, right beside a palm tree, is a grey 2006 impala.

Getting closer to the car, she can make out the face of the second eldest of her brothers, Zale. His wavy silver hair has been thrown into a messy low ponytail. Either that or he didn't really care how he looked for work that morning.

That cheerful gleam in his green eyes does nothing for her mood. Nor does the goofy expression on his face as he throws open the doors.

A blank expression takes over her face as she climbs into the passenger seat and tosses her bag into the back.

Zale drives off and they spend about a minute in silence. But that minute allows the whole atmosphere to become tense.

After a few more minutes of silence, Zale asks, "So uh...did you happen to hear from dad while you were out there?"