Chapter Forty-Eight

May didn't blame anyone for the hush that fell over the room when she stepped into it.

Her family's expressions ranged from apprehensive to shell-shocked and she was sure her nervous smile wasn't helping.

"Hi," she said weakly, giving a little wave.

Her brother, Kai, was the first to make a move. He rose wordlessly from the sofa, stepped across the room in three massive strides, and swept May up into his strong arms, crushing her in a hug.

"I fucking missed you, Maybe," Kai thundered. His voice, even in tenderness, was as big as he was.

"Hey! Language!" Ora admonished. May peered over Kai's shoulder to see her sister casting a pointed look at Omi, who laughed behind his hands.

"Omi knows what's up," Kai replied. He gripped May around the middle and lifted her up as if she were a child herself. "Auntie's back!"

"Auntie's back!" Omi parroted, throwing himself at his uncle's legs and scaling him like a tree.

"Yes, auntie's back," Tiio said, leaning out from the kitchen with a smile across her face. "But dinner's also ready so quit messing around and come get your plates."

May was swarmed in the ensuing rush to the kitchen. Arms wrapped her in tight, warm hugs and kisses pressed into her glowing cheeks. The questions would come, but for now May was going to let herself enjoy this sorely needed outpouring of love and affection.

The Alana family filled their plates in a flurry of bodies moving about the kitchen and filed out onto the patio. Plumeria scented the hot evening air and May breathed it in as she settled into her seat and into the comfortable familiarity of this place and the people she was with.

"I can't believe how long your hair has gotten, Maybe!" Ora chirped as she poured fresh juice into Omi's glass. "I always liked it when it was long."

May let out an awkward laugh, twisting a damp lock around her finger. "Things have been so busy I kind of forgot to keep it trimmed to be honest." She still preferred it short, but she didn't think that was worth mentioning right now.

"Tell us all about what's been keeping you busy," said Gray, Ora's husband, with a grin. "We're dying to know what you've been up to out there."

"Are there pirates on the mainland?" Omi shouted across the table through a full mouth.

"Everybody stop," Tiio said, waving for everyone to hush. "The girl has been resting for days. At least let her get a few bites in first."

May's father, Kaleo, nodded in Ora's direction. "Why don't you tell your sister the news?"

Ora opened her mouth, but Omi swallowed his mouthful and beat her to it.

"I'm gonna be a big brother!" he exclaimed gleefully.

With a gasp, May darted a wide-eyed glance to her beaming sister.

"Holy shit!"

May slapped a hand over her mouth as Ora blanched. Tiio and Kaleo coughed through their full mouths. Kai howled with laughter. They had never heard her swear before.

"I'm sorry!" May apologized between her fingers.

Kai gave her a hearty slap on the back. "I never thought I'd see the day!" He laughed, then pointed a stern finger at Omi. "Remember: cussing's only for grown-ups."

"Anyway," Ora said, drawing back attention with a gently placed hand on her belly. "It's true."

"That's amazing!" May was in awe. "How far along are you?"