Lawler High: Jealousy, Denial and Keeping Score {Chapter 3}

The next day I woke up groggy. I shuffled down the stairs. I didn't feel like making breakfast so I just poured some cereal. Then my phone rang. I reached into my shorts that I didn't bother to change out of yesterday when I got home and answered it. "Hello?"

"Hey! So the party tonight starts at 10:00pm but I'll pick you up around 8:00pm so we can start getting ready at my house." Taylor said giddily.

"Oh..about that. I'm not really up to it right now. I'm not going."

"What do you mean your not going? No. You're not depriving yourself from fun again. I won't let you. You are going to this party and we are going to have fun. Okay?"

I sighed. "Okay I'll go."

"Great! I'll see you then, bye."

"Okay, Bye." I hung up the phone and put my bowl in the sink. I went upstairs and took a long shower. As soon as I got out my doorbell rang. It was probably Taylor. She always randomly stopped by without calling. I wrapped a towel around me and ran down stairs to open the door. I answered it and we both stood there speechless for about 30 seconds.

"I-I-I w-wanted to stop b-by to say sorry about yesterday.." Mr. Parker said tripping over every other word in his sentence.

"Oh.." It took me a moment to remember that I was only in a towel. "Oh, my God I thought you were my friend Taylor. She's already seen me naked I mean not that I'm a lesbian or anything it's just that we go places together sometimes and get dressed in the same room and I thought you were her so I answered the door in a towel cause no one really comes over here accept her not that I don't have some other friends but they call first before coming and she hardly ever does she just stops by and wow I'm just going to shut up now be right back." I slammed the door shut and ran up the stairs into my room. Oh my God that was embarrassing. He's going to think I'm one of those silly immature pitiful sluts who hurl themselves at him at school. I ransacked my room to find a short blue spaghetti strapped sundress and ran back downstairs and opened the door back up. "Sorry about that.." I said feeling increasingly awkward.

"Oh, no it's okay. It's my fault I should've called." He smiled. "About yesterday..I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I don't know what came over me. I don't really have company over my house so I guess I forgot my manners. You're an exceptionally nice young girl I don't want you thinking that I had any negative feelings towards you." he said putting slight emphasis on the word young.

He thought of me as a 'young girl'. A silly child... My eyes began to sting with tears but I swallowed the lump in my throat and I didn't let it show. No way was he seeing me cry twice in his lifetime. I forced on a smile and willed the sadness out of my voice.

"Thank you for your apology but I assure you it's unnecessary. A nice young girl like me would never think such an insignificant event such as yesterday was anything to ponder over." I laughed without humor. "I find it quite hysterical even that you would assume that I thought that you thought ill of me. No such thoughts at all"-I put extra stress on the word all- "of you actually have ever crossed my mind since I left your house last night."

He looked at me intently as if he was taken aback by what I had said. "Oh..well never mind then I guess."

"Great, bye." I started to close the door.

"Wait!" He exclaimed.

I opened the door back up. "What?" I said making my voice as hard and emotionless as possible.

He hesitated before saying anything. "I was wondering if you're not too busy if you could.. maybe.. help me again today? If it's.. not too much trouble."