Lawler High: Pride and Prejudice {Chapter 1}

"Do you wanna be late to our first day in class? Hurry it up Anna!" my best friend yelled after me. I was tired as hell and I really didn't feel like running anymore. My lungs felt like they were going to explode.

"Since when- In the hell- did you care about getting to class on time?" I managed to wheeze out between breaths.

"Since I found out Mr. Parker was our teacher. Duh. Have you seen him? Beyo hot."

"What the hell does beyo mean?"

"Beyond. Duh."

"What? You need to stop taking every word in the English language and turning it into slang. It's getting too confusing to even talk to you anymore." I leaned against the nearby wall for support as I tried to catch my breath.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah now come on." She grabbed my arm and half dragged me the rest of the way to the classroom. We took our seats next to each other in the front of the room. The bell rang and Mr. Parker walked in from the hallway.

"Hello class." He said with a bright smile. "My name is Joseph Adam Parker but you all will be calling me Mr. Parker of course." He turned on the overhead projector and everyone got to work on their drill.

"He's so hot I wanna cook off of him." My best friend said while eying him intensely while he bent over to pick up his briefcase.

"You know he's our teacher right, and that that would never happen?"

"He's only 20. It's not like he's 50 or something."

"He's still a teacher." I smiled while lightly shaking my head at her.

"Well I wouldn't mind him teaching me a thing or two." She said seductively.

"Okay, I'm gonna pretend like I didn't hear that." I laughed

"I'd love to know what about my drill is so funny that you couldn't suppress your laughter." A velvety voice said from over my shoulder. As my luck would have it, it was Mr. Parker.

"Oh, well, it was the part where you said summarize the book we were supposed to read over the summer. It made me think of something that the character in the book Mr. Darcy said that I found amusing..so I laughed." I smiled.

"Well then, please share with the class what about the book that you thought was so amusing. I'd love to know." He said sarcastically while walking back to his desk.

Everyone in the class snickered except Taylor. I knew they were all expecting me to sink low in my chair wordlessly admitting that I couldn't think of anything because I hadn't read the book. I hated when people assumed things about me or thought they knew me when they didn't. Well they were about to find out that I knew Pride and Prejudice backwards and forwards.

"These offenses might have been overlooked, had not your pride been hurt by my honest confession of the scruples that had long prevented my forming any serious design. These bitter accusations might have been suppressed, had I, with greater policy, concealed my struggles, and flattered you into the belief of my being impelled by unqualified, unalloyed inclination; by reason, by reflection, by everything. But disguise of every sort is my abhorrence. Nor am I ashamed of the feelings I related. They were natural and just. Could you expect me to rejoice in the inferiority of your connections?- to congratulate myself on the hope of relations, whose condition in life is so decidedly beneath my own?" I quoted Mr. Darcy's lines word for word.

Mr. Parker stopped halfway on his way to his desk and turned back around to look at me. His face was blank with shock for a minute and then he smiled. "Can you tell me why you find that particular quote funny? I fail to see the humor."

"I thought it was funny because even though he loves her he's still insulting her. I also find it ironic that someone so repulsive and opposite to him in nature could attract him in such a way. He's so conceited and arrogant he thinks he can attain anything he wants while acting like a jerk. Little does he know he couldn't be more wrong. Of course I am referring to the way Elizabeth rejects his proposal of marriage prior to the outburst I just quoted."

"I see.. I never thought of it that way before. Thank you for sharing your opinion with the class." He walked back over to his desk and continued on with the lesson.

When the bell rang I started for the classroom door.

"Ms. Matthews could I speak with you for a moment?" Mr. Parker called from behind his desk.

"Sure." I walked over to his desk as the last few people quickly filed out of the classroom.

"Why are you in this standard class? You obviously should be in a higher class if not college right now."

"My friend Taylor is in this class. We have always taken the same classes together. She can't really be in the higher classes so I don't move up to the higher ones either."

"You really should think about moving up, coll-"

I cut him off. "Colleges look at that and it looks good. I know. I'm not trying to be lazy or rude.. Taylor isn't just my best friend. She is like my family. I've known her since we were kids. When I go home there is never anyone there. When I get good grades or succeed in anything no one cares but her. I want to spend as much time with the person who is the closest to any kind of family that I have, considering my parents are never home." I knew I shouldn't have said that the moment it escaped my lips. Why was I telling this teacher my problems? I turned to walk away.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything."

I turned back around and looked him in the eyes. "It's not your fault my parents suck. You were only being a good teacher." I forced a smile and walked quickly out of the room to my next class.

The end of the day bell rang and Taylor and I were walking out of the school.

"You gotta come to Kevin's party Friday. You haven't partied with me in forever." Taylor whined.

I sighed I really didn't want to go to some random party with a bunch of drunk guys. I've never really been into the whole party get drunk and rebel teenager thing. "Um..I don't know. I have that paper to do that Mr. Parker assigned today. I want to research over the weekend to make it perfect."

"Oh come on." She said stressing each word. "You're going to that party." She said.

"Taylor I really don't think th-" I tried to exclaim.

"That's the problem right there. You think too much about everything. You need a break. You're going to that party." She said before walking off in the other direction to her car.

I wanted to follow her and argue against it but I knew it would get me nowhere. She was wrong. I had to think about everything. Someone has to be the adult here. My parents sure weren't around to shoulder that responsibility so I have to do it myself.

I got into my car and drove home with the radio blaring trying to forget the fact that when I got home I would be alone. Again. I was pulling into my driveway when I noticed a U Haul truck parked in the front of the house of my neighbors who moved out about a month ago. I got out of my car to see Mr. Parker stepping out of the house and over to a couple of moving guys. I squinted my eyes and..it looked like he was paying them.

Oh my God. Mr. Parker was my new next door neighbor!