sixteen

"the drive-in closing is just another nail in the coffin that is riverdale," jughead vented from beside me while i sipped on a chocolate milkshake across from veronica and kevin

"the drive-in closing is just another nail in the coffin that is riverdale," jughead vented from beside me while i sipped on a chocolate milkshake across from veronica and kevin. betty sat beside me, playing with the straw of her own milkshake while jughead continued ranting, "no forget riverdale. in the coffin of the american dream."

the twilight drive-in, a staple of the riverdale community was closing. which meant no more late night movies, no more cold nights being wrapped in blankets, no more make-out sessions. it also meant jughead had no job. and he was infuriated by it's closing. because it meant something to all of us. it meant something to riverdale. 

"as the godfather of indie cinema," jughead stammered on, "quentin tarantino likes to say - "

"please, god," kevin burst, cutting jughead off, "no more quentin tarantino references."

"what? i'm pissed. and not just about losing my job."

i sighed from my seat, leaning against the leather behind me, "the drive-in is more than just a drive-in."

jughead nodded as he continued, "the twilight drive-in should mean something to us. people should be trying to save it."

"in this age of netflix and vod, do people really want to watch a movie in a car?" veronica questioned, sarcastically.

"umm, yes actually," i furrowed my eyebrows at her, "i grew up at the drive-in."

"but like, lila, who even goes there?" 

"people who want to buy crack," kevin confessed, making me give him a warning look.

"and cinephiles," jughead continued, "and car enthusiasts. right, bets?"

betty came out of her trance and looked at us while shaking her head, "totally." 

"anyway, it's closing because the town owns it, but didn't invest in it," jughead explained while i watched betty lick the whipped cream off of her milkshake. "so when an anonymous buyer made mayor mccoy an offer she couldn't refuse..."

"anonymous buyer?" veronica and i asked at the same time, me a little shocked, veronica a little sarcastic.

"what do they have to hide? no one cares," she giggled.

"i do!" jughead announced.

i agreed with, "i care too. and all of you guys should come to closing night. juggie and i were thinking american graffiti."

"or is that too obvious?" jughead asked the group. 

"i vote for anything starring audrey hepburn. or cate blanchett." veronica spoke, sipping on her glass of water.

kevin nodded, looking over at her, "or the talented mr. ripley." 

"what about you betty?" i asked leaning my head in my hand.