one

it was like the universe caved in on me as i sat with kevin keller on betty coopers bed, patiently waiting for the text from one particular boy, a text that never came

it was like the universe caved in on me as i sat with kevin keller on betty coopers bed, patiently waiting for the text from one particular boy, a text that never came. i enjoyed spending my time with the sheriff's son and my similar blonde friend however a date with tucker hastings was one i didn't want to miss out on.

i laid against the pillows, my pencil firmly tapping against my lip as i thought about the next piece of musical notes that would flow with my composition. i could feel and see myself sitting on the white bench in front of my enormous grand white piano in the ballroom of the dawson mansion playing away at the beautiful keys that seemed to always put me back in my usual chipper mood.

but tonight, rather, as i sat with my two good friends, my mood was anything but chipper. betty sat at her vanity, looking at herself in the mirror as she applied her subtle pink lipstick and black mascara, still sitting without a shirt on. she tied her gorgeous blonde hair into her as kevin would say iconic ponytail and turned around to face us as kevin asked, "are you excited? nervous?"

i stopped tapping my pencil against my lip and scribbled notes down against the paper as betty answered, "both. i haven't seen him all summer."

my legs rested on kevins back as he laid on his stomach, scrolling through instagram. i placed my paper and pencil down beside me and picked up my own phone still seeing the lock screen of tucker and i blank. not a single message. asshole.

"which is why nerves are acceptable," kevin added, "but we all agreed betty, it's time."

i threw my phone down on the paper and sighed, "at least archie will be a better boyfriend than fricken tucker hastings."

kevin turned to look at me, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion, "you're still with that uncaring narcissist?"

everyone knew or at least thought that tucker wasn't someone who could genuinely love anybody but himself. people always told me that i could find someone way better, someone who would cherish me and show me off and be a better boyfriend. but tucker will always be my day one, my number one, my first. i loved him, even though everyone else assumed he didn't love me back.

i nodded my head and folded my arms across my chest, watching betty as she stuck out her bottom lip, "try texting him again?"

i shook my head, "no. he doesn't get to receive the satisfaction of winning. im ignoring him."

"good for you, lilac," kevin applauded, "show that hot asshole that you deserve better than him. show him that you can be independent. show him that he made a mistake skipping out on a date. again."

I rolled my eyes and smiled, betty agreeing with kevin. "anyway, betty. archie likes you and you like him. it's only a matter of time before you guys become something more than just best friends."

"well then, why, you guys," betty pointed her powder brush at us, "hasn't he ever done or said anything?"

"because archie's... swell," kevin replied, getting up to stretch his legs, "and like most millennial straight guys he needs to be told what he wants."