fourteen

i have not told a single soul about what happened in the playbook with tucker

i have not told a single soul about what happened in the playbook with tucker. not my mom, not my dad and i haven't told archie or jughead either. i was waiting for the blue and gold article to be released before i came out and said anything

as of right now, my mother and i were on our way to the first annual taste of riverdale. we sat in silence in the back of the limousine as i stared out the window, the playbook still on my mind. 

the event was a lead up to the riverdale jubilee, something that our family was always formally invited to, in november. usually when we'd get invited to the taste of riverdale, it'd be my mother, father and i. however this year, you guessed it, it was me and courtney. 

once we arrived, our driver opened the door for us and i smoothed out my dress, grabbing my purse. my mother followed behind me as we walked into the venue, the glittering white lights making me smile a bit as i admired the well light and beautifully decorated room. 

"ah, judy! how are you, sweetie!" my mother exclaimed, a smile on her face as she greeted the wife of the hastings family. the two hugged, their pearls matching each other as my mother also gave finn a kiss on the cheek.

judy pulled me in for a hug and i cringed as she kissed the top of my hair. i gave a quick hug to finn hastings and finally it was time to act like i was in love with tucker. i still hadn't really talked to him since the incident in the student lounge and did not want to talk to him after learning about his multiple conquests in the playbook. 

i stared down at my feet as i stood in front of the blonde, the hastings and my mother coughing, slightly confused. i rolled my eyes and leaned up to give tucker a quick kiss on the lips. he whispered into my ear, "i missed your kiss and the way you taste."

it felt like i lost my appetite as i sat down, tucker sitting besides me and the hastings then sitting beside tucker. i unfolded my napkin as my mother squealed again, "oh melina! how long's it been!" 

i choked on my spit as i watched my mother give a hug to melinda mantle, mother of reggie mantle. and then my eyes found his as he smiled and nodded at me again. i blushed, sipping my water quickly as tucker tensed up beside me. 

"you must sit with us!" my mother gushed, looking over at the hastings, asking, "you guys don't mind do you?"

they answered no, shaking their heads as tucker shot them a death glare, making me slap his thigh. i smiled sweetly as mrs. mantle and greeted, "hello, mrs. mantle. it's so good to see you!"

she unfolded her napkin as she grinned back at me, "and how lovely it is to see you, lilac. my have you grown! reggie's told me so much about you and... tucker of course!" 

my heart raced in my chest as goosebumps rose to my skin. he talked about ME? oh my GOD.

"ah yes," judy rubbed tucker's arm as he glared at reggie from across the table, "tucker's a sweet boy, very smart, too. you know he's on a full ride to use for football already?"

melinda's mouth gaped open, "wow, that's amazing. congratulations!"

tucker cleared his throat as he forced a smile, "thank you."

"welcome all to our annual taste of riverdale!" sierra mccoy announced over the microphone, a glass of wine in hand. "as a lead-up to our 75th anniversary jubilee, this event proves that riverdale is truly a town that..."

as she introduced her speech, my mother ordered herself a glass of wine and a glass of scotch, making me hit her shoulder. she whipped her head around to face me as i scolded, "this is not a bar, mother."

"relax, my little flower," her voice was sickly sweet, making my stomach jump, "i'm not one to get drunk over one glass of wine and one glass of scotch. just ask your father."

at the mention of my dad, i raised an eyebrow, smirking at her as she sipped her water. she looked at me and rolled her eyes, "however he's a psychotic alcoholic and i'm a simple woman who runs and owns a business." 

as we went around tasting foods, my mother went up to talk to alice cooper and i was stuck alone at the table. i picked at my finger nails as i heard someone sit down besides me. 

"hey," his voice was smooth and deep as my heart pounded in my chest again. 

"don't let tucker see you talking to me," i looked at my boyfriend who stood with his parents, "he might just have to swing at you before dinner."

reggie chuckled, a sound that made my insides jump. "i don't care about tucker. i'm just trying to make conversation with a friend from school."

"friend?" i questioned, turning to face him. his brown hair was swooped over his forehead and his twinkling brown eyes stared into mine. i loved the way his hair looked that way, it made me want to run my fingers through the locks. and his lips were so plump, i felt myself travel my eyes down to look at them for a second until i heard that angelic laugh that sent me into a frenzy of sinful emotions.

"take a picture it'll last longer." 

as i was about to say something smart back to him, but a slap! rang out through the building, making me stand up as i saw alice cooper go flying back into hal cooper's arms, my mother's mouth agape as penelope screamed at the woman. 

i sat back down in my seat, looking at reggie, smiling at bit as the pussycats started to sing. he placed his arm around my chair and as i was about to lean my head back, my phone dinged. 

archie

get up here now

i moved my seat from the table as i stood up, closing my eyes as i sighed, "hey, reggie, i'll be back. don't leave."

he chuckled as he stood up, fixing his jacket, shaking his head, "no, thanks. i'm sorry but i'd like to keep my nose in tact for school."

i groaned and rolled my eyes, stomping up the steps as i saw archie and jughead hiding behind the balcony. "hey," i whisper shouted, "what the fuck?"

"flirting with reggie mantle?" archie raised an eyebrow at me, "i was saving you from a messy argument. come listen to the pussycats. i helped them right this song."

i sat between jughead and archie as i listened. it was a cool song, i liked the beat, however jughead started, "are you sure it was worth sneaking out for some locally-sourced munster?"

i snorted as archie shook his head, "i helped write that song, man."

my head bobbed to the beat as i spoke, "he's proud of himself jug."

we listened for a while, letting jughead get a feel for the song. he finally came up with what he wanted to say, complimenting, "not bad. better than lila's stuff but only by a land-slide."

"hey!" i playfully hit his stomach, "take that back!"

he smiled at archie and i as we giggled together, joking with each other. archie's jokes always made me laugh. "hey, i'd love to stay but i gotta shake down an evil adventure scout. see you."

"hey wait!" i called before he could walk down the stairs, "call later? catch up?"

he shook his head and waved his hand as i sat with archie. i sighed heavily as i watched tucker stand with his parents, admiring the pussycats. it made me sick to imagine him looking them up and down, possibly thinking about adding them to the book of conquests for extra points. i turned from the stage and sat with my back against the balcony wall. 

archie mimicked my actions, furrowing his eyebrows as he wondered, "what's up?"

i sighed as i took one more look at tucker from over the wall, mumbling, "you'll find out soon enough, arch."