ten

if i were to look in the mirror of erised in harry potter, i would see my mom and my dad happily kissing from behind me while i smiled happily

if i were to look in the mirror of erised in harry potter, i would see my mom and my dad happily kissing from behind me while i smiled happily. if i had three wishes i would wish my father back into the house, for them to get married and for our overall happiness.

however this wasn't harry potter nor was there a genie popping up into my room. it was reality. and the reality of the situation was that my mom and my dad were not getting together. however it wasn't impossible. 

as i sat at the dining room table, typing on my computer while my mother went through her paperwork, i couldn't help but think of possible scenarios to get them together. and i know the only thing on her mind was work and the business. but i wanted it to be about dad. 

so i called him.

ring... ring... ring...

"hey, honey!" my dad's voice brought a huge grin to my face as i stared straight at my mother, cheerfully answering back, "hi, daddy!"

my mother gaped and glared at me as my dad spoke through the phone, "watcha doin'?"

"i'm doing some homework before bed," i looked down at my history homework, having done half the worksheet on WWI. "but mom's doing paperwork for the business." 

my mom angrily clicked her pen, obviously not being able to pay attention to her paperwork, "why would you tell him that?"

"that's great, tell your mother i said hello," he chuckled through the phone. i thought of the night of the back to school dance, my heart dropping into my stomach. i know my dad hurt my mom, a pain that i hoped i would never feel, however i'm almost certain it was all those women on the wait staff who threw themselves at my dad. 

i smirked at my mom, "dad says hello."

my mother scoffed taking off her glasses, "you hang up with him this instant lilac portia. i don't want you talking to him."

"she says hi," i responded for my mom who then ripped the phone out of my hands. 

"that's hard to believe," his voice was distant as my mother put the phone to her ear. 

she growled, "stop calling my daughter, harrison, i mean it."

as i worked on my history homework she continued, "no i will not hand the phone back to her. she's not your daughter anymore."

"im blocking your number on her phone."

"yes i am, harrison, don't think i won't."

"if you call her again i'll have keller after you," my mom then handed the phone back to me and i laughed into the speaker, my dad mimicking me. 

"she's so full of shit," my dad laughed, "i'll call you tomorrow. maybe we can grab dinner at pop's one night."

i eagerly shook my head even though he couldn't see me, "yes, i would love that! i have some art pieces and songs i've finished i would love to show you!"