eight

i closed my eyes as i pressed the piano keys down creating a melodic tone that flowed through the room

i closed my eyes as i pressed the piano keys down creating a melodic tone that flowed through the room. i hummed along to the melody, then pressing my foot down on the middle pedal. i began to sing a long to the beat, a song i wrote of course. it was called, "euphoria". 

my eyes remained closed for the duration of the song as i fell into a trance. music always made me feel alive, made me feel like i could be or do anything i wanted. i loved creating new tunes and lyrics and making everything my own. 

the voice that flowed through the room was angelic, everyone always told me it was the most beautiful thing they'd heard in a long time. it made me feel euphoric, and maybe that's why this song reminded me so much of why i loved doing this in the first place. 

i stopped once ms. grundy started clapping. i took my fingers off of the keys and relaxed my foot as i watched her wipe a tear from her eye. i bit my lip and smiled, "why do you always do that?"

"because you have such a gift, lila," she spoke, standing from her chair, "your music always makes me feel so happy inside."

i giggled slightly, turning so i sat at the edge of the black piano bench, "i've always loved the piano. it's sounds and they way it talks is just so breathtaking."

she nodded her head, leaning against the side of the piano. her smile was contagious and i watched as she pushed her glasses up on the bridge of her nose, "i'd love to come see that grand white piano of yours. i heard it's very smooth."

i nodded my head quickly, gushing, "oh it's gorgeous. it sits right in the middle of our ballroom at the mansion. it's by far one of the best things my father has ever bought me."

ms. grundy chuckled, "that's awesome, lilac," she leaned over the bench to grab the music sheets from the stand, "so i'll see you tomorrow? before lunch?"

"yes, same time," i agreed, standing from the bench to grab my backpack and my paints from the floor. i waved as i pulled open the door to the music room, watching as ms. grundy sat at her seat, pulling out her cello bow, "bye, ms. grundy!"

she shouted goodbye as i made my way into the hallway, quickly making my way to the courtyard for lunch. 

i got to our table under the tree fast, quickly putting my things down next to archie, who furrowed his eyebrows at me. i rolled my eyes at him and zipped open my backpack, pulling out the lunch that sandra made me that morning. i sat it on the table, but as i thought of home, my appetite vanished. instead of eating, i sat at the table with my chin in my hands.

"what's up, buttercup?" archie questioned, biting into his peanut butter and jelly. i looked over at him, my chin still in my hands, huffing out a breath.

"to make a long story short, i had a screaming battle with courtney. then i threw my coffee mug on the floor and broke it. then courtney proceeded to tell me dad was a monster and then say i was just like him. and then, get this- had the damn nerve to tell me i couldn't see dad anymore! like what a load of shit!" i vented, sitting up in my seat as i did. archie's eyes widened, swallowing his sandwich.