Chapter Nine: Quiet Before the Storm

Steve and Tony were chopping wood outside. Jacqueline was in sight helping Clint's daughter do a back bend with Jasper lazily laying by them. Jacqueline almost seemed more comfortable here than anywhere else. Tony interrupted Steve's deep thoughts.

"Thor didn't say where he was going for answers?" Tony asked.

"Sometimes my teammates don't tell me things. I was kind of hoping Thor would be the exception." Steve said. Jacqueline had started braiding Lila's hair. Tony followed Steve's gaze and watched her.

"Yeah, give him time. We don't know what the Maximoff kid showed him." Tony said as he watched Jacqueline for a few minutes longer before turning back to the wood.

"'Earth's Mightiest Heroes.' Pulled us apart like cotton candy." Steve said.

"Seems like you walked away all right."

"Is that a problem?"

"I don't trust a guy without a dark side. Call me old fashioned."

"Well let's just say you haven't seen it yet."

"You know Ultron is trying to tear us apart, right?"

"Well I guess you'd know. Whether you tell us is a bit of a question."

"Banner and I were doing research."

"That would affect the team."

"That would end the team. Isn't that the mission? Isn't that the "why" we fight, so we can end the fight, so we get to go home? So that we get to create something like this? So that maybe just maybe Jackie can find some peace in all the sorts of fucked up in her head?"

"Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time." Jacqueline approached the boys with Laura.

"I'm sorry. Mr. Stark, uh, Clint said you wouldn't mind, but, our tractor, it doesn't seem to want to start at all. I thought maybe you might..."

"Yeah, I'll give her a kick." Tony said. "Don't take from my pile." Once he left Laura smiled at the two.

"You two are cute." She said pointing between them.

"No. No no no. We aren't a couple." Jacqueline said laughing slightly. Laura watched for a moment nodding then walking over to Clint.

"So a couple." She said as she stood behimd him.

"You holding up okay?" Jacqueline asked as Clint and his wife stared at them. "I've never seen you so shaken before."

"I'm fine. Probably one of the worst thoughts I've ever had. I survived the war and was celebrating but-"

"It seemed like the party was a war itself?" Jacqueline said finishing his sentence.

"Exactly." As the two continued Laura spoke again.

"Oh yeah that's a couple I'm them pairing up in a room together." She said laughing as she entered the house.
----------------------------------------------------

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing." Fury said as he looked around at the group.

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asked as Jasper jumped into his lap.

"Ah. He's easy to track, he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though."

"He still going after launch codes?" Tony asked.

"Yes, he is, but he's not making any headway."