Free (Part 1)

Warning: violence and graphic detail.

(Phil's POV)

They said I was immature. They said I overestimated my strength. That is, until I escaped.

They took me from my mother at a young age, claiming I was to be taken to a safer home. I was a fool to believe them. They threw me in a cage and locked it before delivering a swift kick to the metal frame. From there, they left me to starve, only feeding me if I complied to their requests.

Paper plates, empty soda cans, everything that was in arm's reach they'd throw into my cage and wait until I looked at it. Much to their pleasure, I would lift it up to eye level, crush it, then drop it.

All. Without. Touching it.

Finally, one day, they plopped a bowl of slop down in front of me after I had crushed a safe. I had been deemed "useful" at that point. "We'll take him to the bank downtown later tonight to rob it. Finally, this immature little brat won't be a waste of our time."

I snapped. I glared at the framework that trapped me, willing it to bend and snap until there was a gaping hole. They had almost made it out the door before they heard the crunch of breaking metal. I crawled out, barely able to stand due to the long period of time I was held in captivity.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" They laughed, mocking me as I hobbled and then collapsed on the floor. But I didn't hold back. Once I stood up again, I set my gaze on one of the guards, feeling the power behind my eyes build. His jeering expression turned to one of horror as I stared at him. He slowly levitated, trying frantically to escape the invisible hold I had on him. Soon, the snapping of bones and the blood-curdling scream that followed ricocheted off the colorless walls.

My goal was to escape. I was finally free.

I had never felt more alive.

~

The rest of the guards scrambled away, leaving me with nothing to play with. Such a shame. Instead of wasting my time waiting for them to come back, I leaned against one of the lab tables and limped towards the door. Jolts of pain shot up my legs with every step, this being the first time in years that I had walked. Whoever those people were, they were scum. Every last one of them deserved to be pinned in a room where I could bend and twist them like a pretzel. But we don't always get what we want, do we?

I had almost reached the door when I heard the sound of footsteps. Sure enough, the guards were back, armed with pistols and assault rifles. I gave them a twisted smile as they aimed the barrels toward me, a slight tremor to each of the guns. One by one, they fired. I stared at each bullet in turn, making them freeze in mid air and slowly rotate until they faced the guards. I could hear whimpers coming from the lot of them. It annoyed me.

Quick as a flash, I let the bullets fly. The guards fell like dominoes. It was silent afterwards, but the floor was quickly being stained with the free flowing blood from their wounds. I wasted no time in getting out before the blood reached my bare feet. I hobbled down the bleak corridor, the fluorescent lights flickering above me with every step. Somewhere nearby, a phone rang. I flinched, the sound foreign to me. It rattled my brain and I had to cover my ears until it stopped.

It took a while to figure out where I had to go, but after running into several dead ends, I found an exit sign and followed it to a pair of metal doors. The handles were cold to the touch, almost like they hadn't been used in a while. I was about to push on them, but a figure appeared in my peripheral vision.

I spun around and glared, attempting to break the person before they could lay a hand on me. However, the sound of shattering glass echoed throughout the hall as the mirror on the wall cracked. I let out the breath I had been holding, embarrassed that something so simple scared me that much. I tilted my head a bit, finding a piece big enough to get a look at myself. It's been years since I had seen myself, either in a picture or a mirror. I had forgotten my hair was black. I had forgotten my skin was pale, except it was now paler than before due to years of captivity. My eyes were sunken back and adorned with bags while my body was lanky and draped in beige rags. My feet, as stated before, were bare and ragged.