Chapter 10: "A Beginning Of A New End!"

Start from the beginning

With his every word, Minahil's heartbeat sped up. She didn't want him to continue but there was no way out for her from this conversation. She could feel the darkness now seeping into her bones.

"Humien laga tha k un dono ko shahadat ki mout naseeb hoi hai aur yeh baat humari dharas bhi bani kahin na kahin unka gham khud par haavi na hone denien k liye. Magar haqeeqat yeh nahi hai,"

(We thought that they got martyred and this was a reason that gave us the strength to bear their loss and to not let this sorrow engulf us, but this was not the reality.)

Minahil flinched when he uttered about their deaths. She didn't want to be reminded about their martyrdom and how ruthlessly it happened in Afghanistan but she tried to be strong for herself.

"Woh log haq par nahi thay. Jin logon ka woh saath derahay thay woh humaray muhafiz nahi thay."

(They were not on the right side. They were helping those who were not our protectors.)

A painful gasp escaped her lips hearing the accusation on her father and her dear uncle Haider. She felt rage in her blood at the slander. Her eyes burned when she looked at Musa and there was nothing but sorrow and sadness in his eyes. His lips turned into a hollow smile, a smile which told her that he felt the same when he too learned about this.

Her throat clogged at the mere thought.

"Kia bolrahay ho? (What are you saying?" She whispered. Her tone wavered but she held her tears back.

"Sach kehraha hoon, (I am speaking the truth)" He replied. His voice just above a hush. There was resentment and grief in his tone.

Minahil could not believe him even if she wanted to. How was she supposed to believe that her father, the man whom she loved the most in her life, the man who had always guarded her, protected her, guided her, he was the one betraying his country? This could not be true, this can not be true.

Uncle Haider, the man who always guided her about the right path, with whom she had played during her entire childhood. These two men were not loyal to their countries?

Her mind became chaotic and it was hard for her to breath. She tried to ease her nerves and let Musa continue, but she couldn't bring herself to do so.

Seeing her nerves, Musa took the papers out of the folder, the folder which was with him all along but Minahil was too disturbed to even notice it in the first place. He took out two files and placed it before her. She didn't look at him when she felt his gaze because she couldn't bring herself to look at him, not right now, not after everything that he had said.

"Mujhe maloom hai aap abhi mujh par bohot ghussa hain. Magar hum haqeeqat se bhaag nahi sakte kyoon k jo kuch unhonien kia hai usska ka khamiyazana humien bharna hai. Woh humse iss ka hisaab lengay aur hum dono hi abhi khatray main hain,"

( I know you must be so angry at me, but we can't run from the reality because what ever it is that they have done, we are the ones who have to bear it's consequences. They are going to hold us accountable and we both are in danger right now).

Her heart sank by his words. Her whole body shivered at what she was hearing. The memories that she cherished so close to her heart, they flashed before her eyes. The laughter, the joy, but all for what?

The files were still on the table when Musa stood up. He knew she needed time for all of this to sink in and he was willing to give her that time, but still they were short on the clock and needed to make a move for their safety and for the safety of their loved ones.