three ↬ queen's young prince

nasir was a good boy. he wasn't phased by the jokes his friends made about him. yes, he had good grades; he took pride in that. yes, he was still a virgin and planned to stay a virgin for more reasons than one. sure, he was poor - so were all the other project babies he ran with. one thing he didn't tolerate was anybody bad talking his girl siya. that was his forever girl that was going to be respected.

people didn't talk about soulmates in the schoolyards of brooklyn. love seemed to be nothing more than a myth. he kept to himself about his dreams, rarely talking about her to anyone other than his notepad. he'd scribble her name and write lame rhymes for her that he'd recited over and over.

his boys knew he had dreams about some girl outside of new york, but only clifford knew how he really felt about her. he'd seem the 'n + s' wrote on balled up pieces of loose leaf that surrounded his dresser.

to outsiders they seemed to be polar opposites. clif was outspoken, immature, charming; nas stayed to himself, wise, and sullen. clif wore a million-watt smile permanently, unlike nasir that held a deep scowl that rarely lifted. once the layers were pulled back it was understood why their brotherhood ran so deep.

nas keep clif out of trouble - for the most part - and clif give nas the comfort of being himself. nas didn't have to always be some moody father figure with his best friend.

after school they'd usually smoke a little and played video games until 6. they'd get on the train, get a bite to eat, and link with the older boys. nas wouldn't stay out too late because he'd have to look out for his younger brother. he'd let him in the house, help him with homework, feed him, than send him off to bed after sitting too close to the tv for a few hours.

he's mother worked long hours to provide for her children after their father ran off with some young girl and a music dream.

"music is his one true love. he wouldn't give that up for anything on this planet. not even his family" his mother would ramble every once in a while after too many drinks. he'd put up some leftovers for her before showering and going to bed himself.

"is this a date?" siya's eyes didn't meet his own causing him to scoff lightly.

"dates are for grown ups, remember? we're just enjoying some food" nas spoke before stuffing his face with doritos.

"well i want to be grown up" she mumbled fidgeting with her fingertips.

he studied her actions and smirked shortly.

"ok. let's be grown up" he puckered his lips teasingly.

she chewed on her cheeto puffs with wide eyes and swallowed with a scowl on her face, "no. i don't mean like the uh" she cleared her throat, "kissing and stuff. i mean if you are my soulmate we could date first. test the waters"

"well you want this to be our first date?" his golden eyes fell upon her sandy curls.

"no! girls are supposed to be pretty for their first date" siya wiped at the corner of her mouth as she giggled. he watch her coils bounced with her and the afternoon sky was flashing against her honey smile.

"exactly why i asked. siya you always look pretty" he uttered with his gaze catching hers.

"my hair is a mess." she huffed, "my mama said i can get it straightened for my birthday" siya beamed and if he weren't listening he would have been too.

"you have nice hair princess" a scowl fell across his face.

"you're supposed to say that. you still trying to get a kiss from me" she rolled her eyes and chuckled sarcastically.

"i'm going to earn that kiss" his face softened, "besides, you'll be begging for these lips"