Chapter 39

HEY!!! THANK THE GEEK SQUAD, 'CAUSE I GOT MY COMPUTER BACK!!!!!!!!! AND I REEEEEALLY HOPE THIS CHAPPY IS WORTH THE WAIT!! ENJOY!! ;)

Annabeth's POV

"Percy!" I gasp, unwillingly placing my knife over a terrified Hazel's throat.

"Annabeth! What are you doing?" Percy yells, horror coloring his voice. "Let go of Hazel! She's a friend!"

"I know, Percy, I know! It's Luke!" I shout, digging the knife deeper into Hazel's neck. Percy's gaze shifts over to Luke, holding his controller, pressing buttons and flipping switches. Wrath flashes over his face, and he rushes at Luke, sword raised.

Luke shakes his head and sighs, bored. "Not so fast, Perce." Suddenly, the ground beneath Luke begins to rumble, and before Percy can strike him, he rockets into the sky, the earth creating a tall pedestal for Luke to stand on.

Percy curses as two huge carnivorous plants shoot out of the ground, spitting acid at him. He swipes at them with Riptide, struggling to find a weak spot around their leafy armor.

"I'm so sorry Hazel," I whisper, tears streaming down my face. I slice straight through Hazel's neck, severing her head - or at least that's what I would've done, if Frank hadn't stopped me.

He tackled me to the ground with brute force, knocking the wind out of me. "Stop it, Annabeth! Find a way to fight against yourself," Frank says, in a surprisingly calm and stern tone.

"I - can't!" I gasp, rolling over and pinning him down. "Listen. You have to help everyone else, free them. And then... run."

"Leaving you here? You know you can't ask us to do that," Frank says, scowling. He topples over, turning into a baby hippo, (which would've been funny if I hadn't been holding a knife to his throat) using all of his weight to gain leverage over me, and somehow, I don't get crushed. I'm trapped.

Good.

"I wasn't asking. Do it," I reply with an insisting, unchangeable tone.

He stares at me coldly with his deadly animal eyes, jaw set. Then he hobbles up quickly, shifting into a sharply beaked eagle and tearing through the demigods' vine cages. I leap to my feet and surge toward Frank again, but before I can strike, the other half-bloods hold me back. I struggle in their grasp, unwillingly trying to free myself.

"Oh, for the gods sake - Gaea! They broke through the ivy!" Luke yells, pausing as if to hear a response. He sighs. "Yeah, yeah. I can take care of that..." He flips a few more switches and I slice Mikayla's arm off, blood spilling onto the ground. She screams in agony.

"Mikayla!" I wail.

"That should do it," Luke says cheerfully. Again, the vines shoot from the ground and entangle my friends.

"Vlacas!" I scream. "You didn't run!"

"Oh, like running would've helped us!" Frank snapped back.

What was with him?

Percy's POV

When I finally manage to slice the carnivorous plants into finely chopped parsley, I twist around to gaze at the scene behind me.

Schist!

I rush over to where Annabeth is being held by the other half-bloods - but stop in my tracks as I start to quickly rise from the ground. I look down and see that I am already nearly fifteen feet higher. I turn to look at a smirking Luke, and flush with anger.

"You," I growl. "You did this."

Luke snorts. "Well, obviously!"

I glare at him.