》Chapter Eighty-Three

Start from the beginning

Harry holds my hand the whole way to the station, leaning in to kiss my forehead every now and then. I don't know if he's aware of my heart skipping every time he comes closer to me.

The police station is spotless. It's early so the smell of coffee fills the room while the life goes on in here trying to make the world a little better. A lady is bent over papers writing fast, a man is kicking the vending machine hoping for his money back. Milton takes me to the back, in a room with a one sided mirror. As soon as I peek inside, my blood runs cold and I stop.

He looks like somebody you would meet while doing shopping, dressed all simple with his eyes fixed on his handcuffed hands. Not somebody who would abuse a helpless girl trying to suffocate her in the process.

I don't have many memories of that night, perhaps this is why I don't feel the rush of hate. I have dreamed of this moment in my nightmares and every time, he would force himself inside of me and finish what he started. In each one of them, I was defeated by him, shattered again in millions of pieces.

I wasn't ready to let that happen again to me.

Milton stops me by the door and search for something I could use to avenge my case. Yet when he comes to my front pocket, he raises his eyes at me and just stares puzzled.

The conversation is silent and I know what he's asking me: you're not going to use it. In reality, I don't know, I might as well. What have I to lose?

"She's clean." He shouts to his attendant without leaving my stare, but right before I push to enter, he interrupts me. "Jade?" He calls and I raise my head waiting. "It's what we make of the bad things that defines us."

I peek at Harry, who is on the other side of the room with his hands behind his back, shaking and biting his lower lip. He carefully raises his palm before leaving his position and coming to my side not sure of what to say. I just look at him, into his eyes and raise on my toes to give him a little peck on the lips.

When I walk through the door, I see his dark asian eyes going up and meeting mine. He whitens for a moment then turns completely cold. I keep my head high and stroll in front of him.

"Here for a second round?" He jokes and my stomach flips. My fingers slide inside my front pocket and I give him a deadly glare.

"You and my son having fun?" He inquires I don't answer. "You're brave to come here alone."

"Oh but I'm not alone." I eventually blurt out and get closer to him. My breath is itching in my throat and I want to throw up, faint, run away and smash my head against the wall, yet I stay.

"Who's with you? That boyfriend of yours? You know you'll need more help if you want to live through the society. Because they will find you."

"I hope they will." I state catching him off of guard.

"You don't mean that." He tries to reason with me, I take out the gun and point it to his head, causing him to almost falling off of the chair.

"You didn't expect it, did you? That the little hurt kitten would grow up in a well-armed tiger."

"You're in a police station, you have no way out  if you pull the trigger."

I giggle and get even closer.

"Do you think I'd mind staying in jail after what you have done to me? Do you really believe there's anything worse than what you did to me?"

"I didn't mean it."

"Liar." I answer calmly as he starts to sweat. "I'm not a killer. Even if you don't deserve to live, I'll let you. You know why?"

Boy I feel the taste of revenge on my lips as I pass my tongue over them.

"Because you'll rotten in this cell. I'll make sure you won't see the light ever again. Everything you love and take for granted, will be taken away from you, leaving you here alone. And as the years will pass, I'll make sure to live my life at its fullest, as you wait here every day for death to come. You'll pray for it but it won't come, just as I prayed you to stop and you didn't. Eventually, you'll see death crawling on your bed and as it takes you, you'll regret everything you did but nobody will be there to forgive you. So you'll die alone, like the beast you are, and I'll learn to be happy again, every day, for the rest of my life."

Green eyes flash in front of me and I lower the gun. I turn on my heels but I take the time to ask just one simple question.

"Cole's mother... Is she alive?"

He looks confused so I repeat my question urging him to answer.

"Yes. She has a house at Lake Tahoe in California. Her new name is Meredith Stylinson." I nod and, after putting the gun away, I leave the room. The second the door clicks, something definitely lifts from my chest and I breath out, feeling the sweet taste of freedom washing over me.

"Jade?" Harry's calls for me, anxiety dropping from every inch of his body.

"Thank you Harry." I simply state wrapping my arms around him tightly. He makes me a better person and I hope I'll repay him eventually. I can't give him much in return at the moment, but I'll giving him everything I have.

"Let's go home." I nod and bow my head to Milton to thank him for the opportunity.

As I cross the threshold my phone buzzes and I rush to answer.

"Jade? This is Missus Alice, are you going to come to work today? I haven't heard from you, since two weeks now." I totally forgot about my work, with everything going on. I go there only two weekends a month since i started Uni, but it's still my job.

"Oh, I'm sorry Missus Alice, I'll come. I've been caught up in my studying."

"You can't go to work." I raise my eyebrow at Harry.

"Why not? It's not like I'm ill."

"They are still looking for you." I sigh and shake my head.

"They will find me anyway Harry. I have no intention of jeopardizing my future for them, plus I want them to find me."

"Jade, why didn't you give the documents to Milton?"

"I can't trust anybody but myself Harry. And you of course." The reason is another one but I can't tell Harry or he'll be in trouble.

I figured who the chief of the society is the second I opened the documents. Nobody needs to know unless I decide what to do.

"I'll come with you." I shake my head and take his cheeks in my hands.

"Harry. Trust me, I'll be fine. I'm just going to work." Harry scoffs and tries to make me change my mind but I don't want to. I need to take my life back one step at time.

He drops me at the gates of his father's house and I walk to the servant quarters with a smile on my face waving him goodbye. It feels good to regain the old habits.

Missus Alice gives me complete control over the gardens. I'm not happy to go in there, but I need to. I fix the bulbs and water the plants letting the drops falling on my fingers and sliding on the flowers.

"Jade?" The familiar voice of Missus Alice comes to rescue me from the cold and gives me an hot chocolate. "You worked hard, now take a break. It's freezing outside." I agree and pass through the maze until I reach the secret spot to sneak into Harry's hut where I can isolate myself from the noises. I sit on his couch and let the memories flowing in my mind. The first time we got intimate was on this couch.

As I drink my hot chocolate, I hear a loud thud coming from the bathroom. I walk towards the source of the noise and with a lot of courage, I push the door open, but get crushed by something heavy that forces me to the ground. 

It's a body.