Chapter Twenty-One

Holy crap guys, over 1500 words! I knew this was going to be a really long chapter because of everything I wanted to fit in it, but that's more than I was expecting.

There is a lot that happens in this chapter, so if you have any questions or comments don't be afraid to say them. I'll respond to anything you guys have, I'm really curious to know what you think about what happens here! :D

~Zelinith

Between reality and nothing, a plane bridged between people's minds...

Elrond and Galadriel were moving quickly into the darkness surrounding them, the wind whipping their clothes and hair harshly. Whispers from all sides came and went, sometimes muttering, sometimes screaming, and sometimes crying.

This was a place that neither elf had visited in quite some time, usually avoiding it because of the repercussions it could cause. But they knew that in here they would be able to bring Legolas back from the brink of death, no matter the cost to themselves.

They continued to move forward into the dark, trying to reach the distant form of Legolas that lay peacefully sleeping beneath a single ray of light. Slowly but surely they closed the distance between them and the Prince, hope growing once more inside them.

Just as they were to come within fifty paces of the elfling, a sudden surge of darkness shot up before them, effectively walling them off from him. The winds began to whip around them at a faster pace, both elves shielding themselves with their arms from it's bite. A loud, deep laugh began to echo in the darkness.

"Come now," it said, it's voice powerful and menacing, "You won't be able to reach him that easily, Ring-Bearers." It laughed once more, the darkness slowly closing in on the two elves.

On the other side of the wall, a lone figure in white slowly approached the dying Prince, placing a hand gently on top of his head.

"Oh ion-nin..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Caunardhon waltzed forward, smirking at the prone elves kneeling above the Prince.

This is almost too easy, he snickered to himself. Well, at least their dead bodies will all be found together. Or maybe I should position them differently... Hmm, there are many possibilities here...

As the beast-like elf considered his options, thinking quite hard on what to do, he was unaware of the Maiar approaching him from behind.

When the gates had come crashing down, separating him from the Elven King and Lord of Lothlorien, he had decided that the two would be able to stand their own. Instead, he left to follow Elrond and Galadriel, knowing that they may need use of his own Ring of Power, Narya, to save the Prince.

However, as he had come down the hallway where the cells were located, the elf before him had appeared out of a door ahead of him. Mithrandir had followed him until this point, and although he could easily use Narya to his advantage, he knew it was best to keep his ring hidden. The forces of darkness did not know he possessed the item, and it would be best saved for a later time than now.

Instead he lifted up his staff, the crystal at the top beginning to emit a bright, white light. Drawing out his sword as well, he called out to the elf.

"You will not touch them!"

This certainly gained Caunardhon's attention from his thoughts, the elf whipping his head around to glare at the wizard.