Chapter Sixteen

AP and IB testing... best time of the year... help...

~Zelinith

On the way to Fornost...

The elven force had moved out and it was composed of an impressive group of formidable warriors.

Lothlorien, Imladris, and Mirkwood troops were marching together under the united cause of saving a little woodland prince. And even the wizard in their midst was a force to be reckoned with on his own.

The only elves that had been unable to join the ranks were Elrond's wife, Celebrian, and their three children. Although there had been many arguments, the Lord of Imladris had won, stating that it was best for them to remain home and protect their land. He wouldn't admit it, but he was also worried that their Ghost Warrior would try and target his own children after everything that had happened so far with Thranduil's son. Not to mention the fact that there was most likely an army waiting for them once they arrived.

Galadriel had directed their forces, saying that Legolas had been taken to the old fortress in the North, Fornost. When questioned by her son-in-law, she merely said that she had seen it briefly in a vision.

The force of elves and one wizard was making better progress than they had expected, but they were still well aware that it would be some days before their destination was in sight. And though they wouldn't say it out loud, many did not have hope that the Prince would still be alive once they did reach Fornost.

This is what Thranduil had been trying to ignore, the fear that his son was already lost for good. He knew that if his Greenleaf perished he wouldn't be able to survive and would quickly join his son and wife in the Halls of Mandos. And it was because of this reason the company was determined to save the little prince.

If they didn't, there would be two lives lost instead of one.

Mithrandir was riding beside the Elven King, observing his expressions and actions.

Whether he was aware of it or not, Thranduil was gently playing with his horse's mane, twirling the hairs around his fingers then smoothing it out again. His eyes were staring ahead, seemingly at nothing so deep in thought he was. And surrounding him was an air of grief, coming off the king in waves.

Having seen enough of this, Mithrandir decided to distract the King of Mirkwood.

"You know what would be lovely?" Mithrandir began, his voice deep and enthusiastic. "Seeing a wonderful light show in your forest. Imagine the colors that my fireworks could cast onto the leaves! And of course Legolas would adore them. Most children are."

Thranduil turned towards the wizard, giving him a cold glare.

"There will be no fireworks allowed in my forest." The king hissed. "Never again."

Mithrandir was taken aback. "What do you mean, Thranduil? I haven't done anything."

"Truly, that is what you believe?"

"Yes, that is what I believe, and I will stand by my claim that I am innocent of ever causing any wrongdoing with my fireworks in your forest."

The Elven King's eyes narrowed.

"You do not recall around a decade ago, then, the incident that took place on a warm summer day? I distinctly remember you and your fireworks causing havoc in my land."

The Maiar blanched. "I did nothing!"

"Really? I remember a certain wizard I know, quite a foolish one if you ask me, setting off his 'light show' beneath my trees, only for the sparks to catch the leaves on fire."

"It was a minor fire, barely damaged any of the trees."

"It took over a day to contain the fire and then another to get the flames all out."

"Hmm... I do believe that part slipped my mind."

"Convenient."

Mithrandir huffed while Thranduil smirked in return.

"What my point is, Thranduil," the wizard began, "Is that we will save your son and he will be able to see my light show once again, and many more things for that matter. Legolas is strong, he will be there waiting for you. Do not give in to grief quite yet, mellon-nin."

Thranduil sat there, looking towards the North, contemplating the wizard's words. As he gazed ahead, his eyes saw a tiny bird fly off in front of their force, flying away into the distance.

Hold on, Greenleaf. Hold on to hope for me...