Chapter 27

The sound of paws thundering after me made me glance over my shoulder. The huge rogue was chasing me, slowly coming closer.

Inch. By. Mother-fucking inch.

I gulped, leaning forwards and turning the throttle as far as it could go. I was grinning triumphantly, peering over my shoulder to see the Rogue slowly fading away.

Well, he was fading away until my shitty bike just jolted as if it were just shocked. I chose to ignore it until I noticed that it was slowing down.

"Oh no. Oh no no no no." I mumbled, eyes widening with panic. I only had one option.

Well, technically two, but really just one to survive. That being I slam on the brakes and shift, booking it to the fight or pray to the moon goddess that a miracle would happen and my bike would regain life.

The first option sounds better.

I slammed the brakes, tires squeezing in protest. I gritted my teeth, sweat coming down my forehead consistently as I hopped off the bike.

There was no time to look at the rogue, and definitely no time to look at my bike.

I simply focused on the image of my wolf, of the beautiful yet dangerous creature that was Midnight.

She yipped excitedly, tail all bushed up and tongue lolling out to the side.

She's really not that harmful. She is practically a puppy!

No I am not! She grunted as I shifted, now standing on four paws.

I don't have time to argue, Midnight. Our pack is in trouble. We're in trouble. I need your help.

Of course. I got this.

I let her take over, praying to the moon goddess she wouldn't be dumb and make a completely irrational decision.

Midnight's POV:

Paige had given me control! I yipped in excitement, a wolfy grin taking over before I instinctively rolled. A large rust colored body flew over me, hitting face first into the road and rolling, whining from pain.

What an idiot.

I let out a dark, powerful growl before stalking towards him. The rogue seemed to gather his senses, and gathered himself to his feet. He swayed from side to side, clearly unsteady and disoriented from the hit to the head.

I bared my teeth, and went into a crouch. I let a growl vibrate through my throat, and let it reach its full peak. Thats's when I lunged, aiming for his haunches. He tried to duck, but due to me being SMART I knew to aim LOW so I would at least get to stick my teeth into something.

I bit down, hard on his ankle and quickly let go, dancing away to circle around the poor thing.

Pathetic. Came Paige's voice, and I let out a wolfy laugh.

Which really just sounds like a broken lawn mower. Not the most attractive thing.

The rogue was attempting to circle at the same speed as me, but the bite wound to his ankle was bleeding heavily and obviously hurt a lot.

I decided to cut the bull and get straight to the point, this time leaping onto the Rogues back. He rolled away, snapping at my fluffy tail.

I growled in response, moving it out of the way and then coming back in to slap him right in the face with it.

The Rogue seemed stunned at my goofy antic, so I used the distraction to my advantage and lunged at his face.

My canines bit his snout, and I firmly held down as I pulled away. A satisfying rip came, followed by the gushing of blood. The Rogue howled, shaking his head side to side.

This only made the blood become a practical hose and almost drench me, but I dodged to the left and attacked there.

I came in, and bit his left side rather hard, and pulled. A chunk of meat came out, and I gagged at the rotten taste that came along with it. I spit it out to the side, snout wrinkling in disgust.

While I was distracted, the Rogue leaped over my head and onto my back, biting where my spine is.

A whimper escaped, and then an evil idea came to mind.

The Rogue seemed to be gripping on for life, so I rolled to the right.

I squished him, and kept rolling until he let go.

He didn't look like a pancake, so I guess I had to finish the job.

I lunged for his right side, but he instinctively rolled to the left. My teeth met air, and I growled in frustration.

Paige, I need you to shift back.

I could feel her hesitation, making me want to yell at her. But I let her debate on it for a couple of seconds as the rogue and I circled each other.

Okay. I trust you.

I let her regain control.

Paige's POV:

I shifted back, and the rogue froze in surprise.

You need to focus on your powers. You can control the elements. You need to use that to your advantage.

When should I-?

My train of thought was cut off as the huge rogue leaped for me.

Shocked, I shifted to the side ever so slightly so he went tumbling.

Paige, you need to focus!

I'm sorry, I'm sorry! That's kind of hard right now!

She didn't reply, and I closed my eyes briefly, imagining the earth moving at my will. I could practically feel dirt on the tips of my fingers.

I opened my eyes, and the rogue who had been stalking silently towards me yelped in shock.

I shot him a grin before my fist hitting the ground.

The earth rolled like a wave, coming for the wolf. He howled in fright, skidding back but it was too late. The earth came over the rogue, swallowing him.

Good job Paige!

I did it!

A smile took over my lips. I did it!

Yes, you did! Now we just have to go back to the fight and help out our pack.

You're right.

I focused on the image of my jet black wolf, and shifted rather quickly. I took off at a sprint as soon as my paws hit the ground.

Here we go.