Even though we all still live under the same roof, I wonder if he is avoiding me. Trying to still be my brother, but maybe he's scared to mess up. Maybe he just can't stand to see my face, like everybody else? Or maybe he's just not interested in getting to know me anymore? Yeah, it's possibly that one. I'm boring. After all, it is pretty difficult to have a conversation with someone like me.

Whenever I run into him or sit beside him, I feel a little awkward, unsure whether I can write to him any time, the way I do with Luke. I feel like a burden, an embarrassment to him.

We stop at a red light and I send Ethan a quick text.

Me: You okay? Is everything all right?

Ethan pulls his phone out of the cup holder and glances at the text before driving off again. He sends me a smile and a shrug, "I'm fine, Jessica. Everything's all right. Was today fun?"

I nod and fabricate my most convincing fake-smile. I want to pester the truth out of him, but if he starts looking at his phone while driving (which I'm surprised he's not doing anyway), I'll be endangering our lives. So, I sink into my seat and keep quiet until we get home. When we pull into the driveway, I instantly text Ethan again.

Me: thanks.

"No problem," Ethan murmurs, already distracted with texting on his phone

I feel stupid for hoping he'd give me more attention. I feel even stupider for hoping he'll want to spend more time with me in the future. I don't even know why he suggested it. He's not spent time with me in ages, why now? It's weird. Out of place.

Nearly falling out of the car, I rapidly slam the door shut, leaving Ethan in the car and hurry to the house. Moments later, I hear his car door open and close. I hold on for Ethan to catch up before ringing the doorbell. I know I've got a key in my sling bag, but it's faster to just ring the bell because no doubt the keys are probably buried right at the bottom.

Ethan is still texting on his phone, lost again. I reach across and turn the screen off, just to tease him a little. His reaction implies that he doesn't think I'm funny. He pulls his phone away from me, gives me an irritated look, and then proceeds to resume texting, now sulking. I hate that I can't talk to him, that I can't find a way to make him talk and open up.

I just want my old big brother back, where we can tease each other without things getting awkward. My eyes start to burn with tears, and I pray the door will open before they spill. Maybe I can escape to my room first.

I'm glad he had time for me today, even if it wasn't as great as it could have been.

Luke opens the door, we rush in, and Ethan closes the door behind us. I leave him standing in the hall, and I go to the living room where Luke is plopping on the couch again. He's been watching The Discovery Channel. There are whales on the TV screen, a man with a monotone voice in the background is giving facts about them. Luke is watching intently, shoving crisps in his mouth. I quickly wipe my eyes and pull out my phone.

I send Luke a text. There's a small, not wholehearted, smile peaking on my lips.

Me: You know too much TV will send you stupid.

Luke instantly checks his phone and then turns around with a grin. He motions for me to take a seat beside him. "How was it? Did you have fun?" he asks unsurely, like it's the wrong question to ask.

I just smile at him, playing with the end of my hair with a halfhearted shrug and nod, because I'm not entirely sure how to answer.

"I'm glad you had fun." He smiles. "By the way, I got Sam to send me that funny video I was talking about the other day." He states as he pulls