Chapter Three

Chapter Three:

Chapter Three:

We sat in McDonald's for a few more minutes, and all the while, I was still messaging Luke. Well, more like Luke was messaging me, and I was just reading them. He was spamming me with irrelevant topics and lame jokes, forcing me to respond occasionally and tell him to buzz off. It wasn't too bad, though, because he did make me smile a couple of times.

Seriously though, doesn't this sixteen-year-old boy have anything better to do besides spend almost all of his time harassing and hanging out with his pathetic, mute little sister? He has plenty of friends to bug, and he's so naturally likeable and respected. People who aren't his friends want to be. Numerous people are probably queuing up for the opportunity. On other hand, with his controversial hobby of pranks, he's unliked by some, as well.

Ethan eventually found whatever he was looking for on his phone. Either that, or he just gave up on looking. He stuffs it in his jeans' pocket and says, "I was thinking that maybe we could take the food and eat it someplace else and talk. You know, like we used to do when you were younger?"

I stand up, too, nodding as I do. For a split second, I swear a hint of guilt sparked in his eyes, but it could easily have been mistaken. Ethan picks up the bag, and I hold our drinks.

"I say we leave the car in the car park, and we can walk to the park. What do you say?" He suggests, showing me a small, sideways grin.

Him smiling at me is a pretty rare thing in the past years. It's as rare as seeing an astronaut ride a rainbow horse on a purple moon. I gave him a double thumbs up, totally fine with whatever.

"So Jessica, are you still into art?"

*****

I wait for Ethan to get into the car, unsure of what to do.

After Luke texted me, I tried starting a conversation with Ethan, sort of desperate to find a connection with him. The thought of proving Luke wrong was quite tempting, as well. But Ethan replied to my texts with short answers, or sometimes, nothing. He just kept texting on his phone, lost in his own little world. When we were at the park, we both ate in silence. He didn't ask me anything about anything. We had one conversation and that was about my drawings. He asked if I still draw, and I answered him with a nod and text saying,

Me: Yes, I do still draw. A lot actually. I have so many sketches and sketchbooks all over the place in my room.

Me: You should see them.

To that, he just slowly nodded his head in sudden deep thought. The rest of the walk was in silence. I don't know what's wrong with him – I really wish he would open up to me.

Isn't that what siblings are supposed to do?

Ethan starts the car and drives off, sending me a quick smile. I can't tell whether he's smiling because he's happy, or because he wants me to be happy. Or he doesn't know what else to do or say, or maybe he's just happy to finally go home and get away from me.