iii

(unedited)

"aunt jenna!" david said cheerily as the bell on the door rang as it opened and the teens filed inside. lizas eyes shot to the booth they usually sat at to see it being used. "they look like they're almost done, we can just go sit at the counter for now." liza said to david, linking their arms. he nodded and led the group over to the counter and they each took a stool. david's aunt was drying the cups by hand and stopped to greet them. "hey guys! welcome back!" she smiled at them. "two vanilla and two chocolate shakes. extra whipped cream on one of the chocolates and no cherry on the top of one of the vanillas," david's aunt recited and walked to the back of the diner, causing dobrik to laugh a little.

the group went into light-hearted conversation about the kids at their high school and what they thought everybody was going to be doing in five years. the conversation was fun and caused lots of laughs. it also caused some bickering when they couldnt decide if corinna was going to be a model or a mcdonalds worker. gabbie watched her friends converse without giving much input of her own, she just watched them. a smile grew on her face anytime one would appear on her friends'. 

she rested her head on zane's shoulder and closed her eyes, just allowing herself to listen to them talk. zane reached around and started to run his fingers through her hair while still continuing the conversation. "here you go kids!" jenna yelled cheerfully while walking out with four shakes on a platter. gabbie smiled but kept her eyes closed and hoped that jenna had seen her sign of gratitude. she felt zane reach up for the milkshakes and set them down in front of everybody. he also reached for his wallet, but was cut short. "on the house. its your last summer, i wanna make it the best it can be. however if we start going bankrupt i expect you to pay for everything youve ever eaten on this property." she said. zane laughed and moved his hand away from his pocket. 

"so are you two dating now too?" jenna asked glancing from zane to gabbie. gabbies eyes fluttered open and she sat up straight, bringing her shake closer and shaking her head. "nope! just friends," zane said cheerfully eating his cherry and then licking some of the extra whipped cream off the top of his shake.  gabbie glanced over at david and liza to see that theyve both already eaten their cherries and all of their whipped cream and were now immersed in their own conversation. "you dont talk much, do you sweetheart?" jenna asked, placing her hand sfotly on top of gabbies. 

gabbies head snapped back up and her brows furrowed. "i talk. what do you mean?" she asked genuinely. jenna shrugged, "youve been kind of quiet a lot recently." gabbie cocked an eyebrow and took a sip of her vanilla shake. "weird," she said blandly as she watched jenna disappear into the back of the diner once again. "what the hell was that all about?" gabbie scoffed and turned towards zane. "she has a point," zane shrugged, "ever since david and liza started dating youve been kind of quiet around us all."

gabbie choked on her milkshake, causing other people in the diner to stare directly at her. she coughed, trying to get the feeling out of her throat. she took another sip of her milkshake to wash it all down and finally relaxed. "i really hope you dont think its because of 'diza'. ive just been stressed over college a lot recently, i know i already got accepted, but theres a lot to do. thats why im hoping this summer is gonna be a stress reliever." gabbie explained. zane nodded and took another sip of his milkshake.

"you guys wanna go sit in our booth?" asked david, who was now standing up beside liza behind zane and gabbie. zane looked over at the booth and saw that it was now vacant. zane and gabbie both nodded at the same time and picked up their milkshakes as they headed over to the booth. gabbie and liza took the side against the wall with gabbie next to the window and liza on the outside. and as always zane sat directly across from gabbie and david sat directly across from liza.

"oh my god guys!" liza gasped, startling the rest of the group. "what?!" david asked urgently. "we should get some fries to dip into our shakes!" liza exclaimed happily causing david to sigh and put his head in his hands as gabbie laughed and zane 'eww'ed.  "hey! its actually insanely good! dont knock it till you try it!" liza defended and placed her head on gabbies shoulder. david shook his head in disappointment and called over another one of his family members that worked there. "greg! homestyle fries please!" david said and his cousin nodded as liza clapped in enjoyment. she picked up her milkshake and took a long sip. 

"do you guys wanna come over and watch bad daytime talk shows at my house after we're done?" gabbie offered and watched her friends eyes light up as they all shouted 'yes!' at the same time. gabbie's house was the go-to place for them all to hang out because 7/10 times, theres barely anybody else there. besides, watching bad television and making fun of it was their favorite group activity.

-

they all finished their shakes and david ate the last french fry about thirty minutes later. "ill be right back," david said as he placed the glasses in the fries bucket and brought it back to the kitchen. he came walking back out and reached his hand out for lizas helping her stand up. she wrapped her arms around his waist and laid her head against his side as they walked out to zanes car. "ready?" zane asked, snapping gabbie from out of her trance. "oh! yeah!" she said reluctantly, shaking her head a little bit so she could get back into focus. 

they stood up together and walked out of the diner, waving goodbye to david's family. zane unlocked the car and david and liza filed into the backseat. "guess youre stuck with me in the front," zane joked and rubbed the top of gabbies head, messing up her hair. "zane!" gabbie comlained, doing her best to fix her hair as they got into zane's car. "ready bitches?" zane asked, while buckling up. "ready bitch!" the three other teens yelled back sending all four of them into a fit of laughter. 

it wasn't soon after that they arrived at gabbie's house and hopped out of the car. they walked up to the front door and gabbie opened it carefully, unsure if anybody was home. unfortunately, there was. the loud screaming from her siblings banter filled the house as gabie turned around to face her friends and mouthed the word: 'sorry' all four of them stepped inside carefully when all of the sudden gabbie's mom came busting into the kitchen where they were. 

"gabrielle!" she screamed, causing gabbie to whip around. "mom!" she yelled back, grabbing an apple from out of the fruit bowl they had on the counter. "where have you been!?" gabbie's mom asked, running up to her. "the diner? what do you mean? you know i always go-" gabbie started to explain. "well have you packed yet?!" gabbie's mom cut her off. gabbies heart sank to the floor. "packed?" zane piped up, speaking for gabbie as she struggled to speak. 

"we're going to stay with your grandparents this summer!" her mom exclaimed.