Turned Tables

Mulai dari awal

"They aren't babyish," Angel says, following beside me. 

"Oh right, for a dwarf like yourself I'm sure they're amusing. Go ahead, I think I see a cradle for you near the cotton candy booth," I tease. 

"Okay, fine." She says, latching her right hand onto my arm. I stop, my eyes staring at her skin on mine. There's that feeling again. "I'm a baby and so I need an adult to go with me inside the haunted house. Come with me." She nods her head in the direction of a red and white striped tent that has a clown's mouth acting as an entrance. It's dark inside. I hate doing things in which I'll not know what to expect next. 

"No," I reply simply, shrugging her hand off my arm and continuing to make my way towards the gazebo. 

"Oh please," Angel whines, still following me. "It's always been my dream to go in a haunted house, but I'm too scared to go alone." 

"Oh, so the mighty Angel does fear something," I comment, smirking, as I reach the gazebo. "You're on your own because it's my nap time." As I'm taking my phone out of my pocket, a volley of screams fill my ears. They're coming from the direction of the haunted house. I wonder what's so scary in there? It's all a bunch of crap as it is.

I look down to find the phone no longer in my hand. What...

"Come with me to the house and I'll give you your phone back." Angel says, holding it up in front of my face. She chucks it into her purse, zipping it up. 

"For fuck's sake, we aren't in second grade," I say. "Give it back." I grab the strap of her purse, causing her to stumble into my chest.

"The second you touch me and my purse, I will scream louder than you could even imagine. The entire public will come to my rescue," Angel threatens, a knowing smile on her lips. 

"You wouldn't," I narrow my eyes at her. 

"Try me," she eggs me on. I take my hand towards the zip of her purse, and as if the movement of my hand and her mouth is linked, a shrill yell escapes from her throat. 

"Fucking hell," I hiss, clamping my palm in front of her mouth. "Fine!" I throw my hands up in exasperation, taking a stepping back. "I'll go to the goddamn haunted house with you." 

"Wise decision," Angel says gladly, as she loops her arm through mine and tugs me in the direction of it. 

"But nowhere else," I clarify, digging my heels into the ground, causing us to stop. Angel nods, tugging at my arm impatiently. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that I will be going inside a bloody haunted house - that, too, one which is for children - because of a goddamn baby, who has strapped herself to my arm as if her life depends on it. 

Angel and I get into line. Her eyes trail over towards the cotton candy cart, a spark igniting in them at the sight of the treat. Rolling my eyes, I shake my head in disbelief. Is this woman even in her twenties? Or is she a baby in the shoes of an adult? I bet even the children aren't as excited in this fair as her.

"I've never seen you this nervous before," Angel comments, drawing my attention towards her. 

"Honey, if you think I'm nervous because of this poor excuse of a haunted house, then you're highly mistaken," I retort. My eyes land back on her arm which is looped through mine. 

"No, not for this," Angel looks up at me with her big eyes. My palms begin to sweat. It's not because of her, of course. After all, it is quite hot today. Yes, it's definitely not because of her. "I meant that you're nervous about handling the children. It's cute." She offers me her famous smile, which has the power to melt my heart. Had I been an iceberg, I would've surely dissolved into the ocean by now.