Chapter 19

I wake up to the sound of a pipe being banged against my bed. I open my eyes to see the culprit of the noise is Eric. I knew I shouldn't have chosen the bed on the end. He smirks at me.

    "I hate you," I mouth to him.

     "I know ya do," he mouths back with an annoying smile. I stick my tongue out just far enough for him to see. His smile just gets wider... and more annoying.

    "Everyone in the pit. Ten minutes. Get moving," he says to the initiates who are all not even half awake. He leaves the room for us to get ready. I get ready quickly, run to the mess hall and grab something to eat. As soon as I have eaten, I run into the pit. I'm the first one there, which makes sense considering I'm three minutes early.

    "Morning Ty," says a familiar voice from behind me. I turn around to face Eric.        "Enjoy my wake up call?"

    "Haha. No. Thanks for that, jerk," I respond in a snappy yet rather playful tone.

    "Aww. I thought my face would be the first thing you'd want to see in the morning."

    "Uh huh. Absolutely," I say sarcastically.

    The rest of the initiates enter the room. Dauntless born enter first. They are followed by the lost and tired looking transfers.

    Eric, Lauren and my dad explain rankings, cuts, etc. Some of the transfers look scared, but the Dauntless born, who have heard this speech many times, don't seem to care.

    Soon, we split up between Dauntless born and transfer. We head to the training room where my dad explains that while most of us know how to fight, not all of us know what we should. We train using different moves on punching bags first. Eric says he doesn't want anyone dead on the first day.

    We do this until lunch. After lunch, we head up to the roof to work on shooting guns. Even though the initiates grew up in Dauntless, their aim isn't great. They're hitting the targets, but not where they are supposed to be hitting. I shoot and hit the bullseye every time. We eventually are told that training is over for today. Eric says based on what he saw today, we will need to work on shooting tomorrow.

    It's about 4:00 in the afternoon when we finish training. We have the rest of the day to do what we want. I decide to go down to the rocks by the chasm. I lay there for a while. I'm hidden from view of anyone who walks down here. While many people know about the rock by the chasm, not everyone knows about this hiding place. Eric showed me this place a long time ago. He said he hid down here all the time to avoid people.

    I hear footsteps approaching. I recognize the voices speaking. It's mom and dad. They're arguing about something.

    "He has every right!" Mom screams at dad.

    "I'm her father! You're her mother! It's our job to protect her!" Dad yells back.

    Oh no. They're arguing about me again.

    Mom takes a deep breath before she speaks. What she says confuses me and shakes my whole world.

    "No, Four. No we're not. And you know that."
———————-
Song: Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots