Chapter 21

All of the initiates have jumped on the train and are ready for war games. I have planned my options for my team. I explain the game and show them our chosen weapon. Like every year, one of the Candor transfer has to make a comment about the gun, and like every year, I get joy from shooting them in the thigh. He falls to the ground in pain. No one else chooses to make anymore comments about the gun.

    "Two teams. Four and I are captains," I explain to the initiates.

    "You choose first," he says to me. I smile.

    "Tyler." Four looks mad now.

    That's what you get for letting me choose first. You knew what I was going to do.

    After teams are chosen, we jump off the train and part ways. I refuse to lose this year. I'm on a five year losing streak to Four. This year will be my redemption.

    We try to start making a plan, but the initiates just end up arguing. I see Ty has walked away and is headed towards a nearby building. It isn't very tall, but I know she doesn't want to climb the Ferris wheel. Four will be expecting that. We reach the top of the building and look out over the war zone.

    "Are you gonna tell me what's been up with you lately?" I ask.

    She says nothing for a few minutes. When she finally speaks, it catches me completely off guard.

    "Four and Tris aren't my parents."

    She knows. How?!

    I don't say anything. I don't know what to say.

    "How long have you known?" she asks me.

    "What makes you think I knew?" I say attempting to defend myself. It's a lie, but I don't know what to do.

    "You did. Don't lie to me."

    I can't lie to her. I've lied for too long. I hang my head as I speak.

    "I... yes... I did."

    "You know who my parents are too."

    You have no idea, kid.

    "Don't you?!" Her voice has raised now. She's becoming aggravated.

    "Yes," is all I can manage to say.

    "Who?"

    I look into her blue eyes, and they look back into mine.

    "I think you know," I say to her.

    Her eyes grow wide. I can see the revelation show itself in her eyes. She just nods her head. She lays her head on my chest.

    "Why didn't you tell me?" she asks. I can hear her voice trembling. She's crying.

    "It's... a long story."