Chapter 26

Tyler's POV

    I stare in shock as Eric... my dad... tells me this story. I see a teardrop fall from his eye. I can't help it. I start crying too. He notices this. Eric pulls me into himself and strokes my hair. We've been gone from the group a long time, but right now, the game is the least of our worries.

    "I'm sorry, baby girl," he whispers to me. I don't know what to say. My whole world just came crashing down. But somehow... somehow...

    "Somehow, I guess I always kinda knew in a way. I had this gut feeling that something wasn't right in my life," I say.

    "I guess now you know what was wrong then." He attempts a laugh, but I can tell it isn't real. He's so filled with emotion he doesn't know what to do. This is what he's wanted for sixteen years, and I guess what I've never known I've wanted. I have my family.

Eric's POV

    She looks back at me. Her blue eyes finally understand who they belong to. Her blue eyes and light brown hair, they're mine. Her spunk and attitude. Her determination. Her strength. They were the things I gave to her. That love in her eyes though, that's all her own.

    We should be scouting for the flag, we've been gone about thirty minutes, but I don't care. This could be my sixth year in my losing streak, but my pride doesn't even care right now. I've longed to hold my baby girl for sixteen years. I've wanted her to know who she was since she started following me 11 years ago. Now, the moment is here. She's mine, and now she knows.

    Soon we are headed back to the group. The game continues... and the inevitable happens... we lose. Six years. I'm a little disappointed, but not even that can take this moment away. Our lives just changed forever. She's no longer Tyler Bliss Eaton. For the first time since she was born, she's finally Tyler Bliss Coulter.

Four's POV

    I'm not sure what happened during Capture the Flag, but Eric is in a great mood. He's trying to pretend that he's mad about losing, but that's just an act.

    What's going on with him?

    He's sitting right next to Tyler. They're sitting closer than I care for, and they're... talking. The initiates are all staring at them.

    What in the world?

    They're not even trying to hide that they're friends. It's like they don't care anymore. Something has happened, and I'm going to find out what.

    We get off the train and head into mess hall. Max will announce rankings for stage one in about thirty minutes. Eric and I are required to give input so that rankings can be decided.

    Eric and I are walking down the corridor to Max's office when I suddenly turn and push him hard against the wall.

    "What are you doing?!" Eric yells. I can see a mix of rage and confusion in his eyes.

    "What's going on with you?!" I yell. I can feel anger rising in me. "You've been walking on cloud nine since capture the flag! You and Ty don't seem to care that people know you're friends or whatever you are! Why?!"

    He doesn't answer. He just looks at me.

    Please no. Tell me you didn't. That she doesn't...

    I sigh.

    Of course.

    "She knows. Doesn't she?"

    He continues to stare at me. He finally nods.

    No. Why? How could you do this to me?

    As I think this, I know it's selfish. She's not my daughter, but over sixteen years, she's felt like it. Now, she's not. She knows. She's Eric's daughter.

    I release Eric and just walk away. We walk into Max's office and give our input for rankings.

Eric's POV

    We sit in the mess hall with the initiates. Miles and Tyler are the only ones sitting near me. Miles is different, but he's alright. He doesn't mind me, and I don't mind him. Plus, he's my daughter's friend... maybe her only friend. She's not a people person... like me. The rest of the initiates are as far away from me as they can get. Some sit near Four. He's no teddy bear, but he's a bit friendlier than me.

    Zeke, Shauna and Lauren are here too. They are with their transfer initiates. Most look scared to death. Zeke isn't a comforting soul, but he's trying to make the initiates laugh so they'll relax. I can tell that them being uptight is driving him insane.

    Soon Max enters the mess hall. Silence falls over the room.

    "Initiates..." he announces. "The top twenty of you will make it to stage two. Stage two will be fear simulation. You will face your worst fears and learn to overcome them. Your final test will be your fear landscape. After the final test, cuts will be made. The top 15 of you will make it into Dauntless. Here are your rankings."

    I can't help it. I see the rankings and jump out of my seat. I'm not really concerned about the other rankings. My baby is in first. I know, shouldn't you know the rankings, since you're a leader? Max has the final say in rankings. He oversees the training. I don't know rankings until I see them.

    The whole hall is staring at me, especially Four, but I don't care. I can't just flat out hug Tyler, as much as I want to, so I just give her a fist bump. She laughs, but I know she got the message. I see Miles is in 10th. He wasn't the greatest fighter, but he's good enough to survive in Dauntless.

Tyler's POV

    I'm in first!!!

    I can see Eric... my dad... man, this is getting confusing, is as excited as I am. Miles is doing well too. He's in 10th. He's looking at my dad and I a little strangely.

    "What was the about?" Miles asks looking at Eric.

    I look at Eric, and he looks back at me and just nods.

    "Miles, I have something to tell you."

    We leave the hall, and I explain everything. I wouldn't trust really anyone with this information, but Miles is the exception. Plus, I have to tell... someone. I can't just hold this all in. When I'm finished, he just stares at me with his mouth hanging open.

    "Eric... is your dad?" he asks like he can't comprehend it. I nod my head.

    "Yep."

    "Does anyone else know? Does your dad... ummm I mean Four... does Four know that you know?"

    Oh darn. I don't even think about that. What do I even say to Four? How am I supposed to approach him? What do I do?

    "Ummm... I doubt it."

    "So what are you gonna do about that?"

    "Dude... I have no idea."
———————-
Song: Sweet Child O Mine by Guns n Roses