Chapter 35

Eric's POV

The only thing I currently know is that I have a mission: overtake Abnegation and kill any nonconformists and divergents. This girl is divergent. I place my finger in the trigger.

Why can't I pull it?

For some reason, I am unable to pull it. It's like an invisible force is holding me back. I've killed many divergents. Why is she different?

Her blue eyes look up at me. She looks scared, but not very. She looks hurt. I see a tear slip down her face. Then she says one word. This one word brings it all back. The last sixteen years. It brings back who I am.

"Daddy."

Suddenly I fall to my knees and throw my gun away from me. I begin to sob. She looks scared of me, but soon, she comes to me and wraps her arms around me. She's crying too. I wrap my arms around her waist, and we hold each other. We sob into each other.

I almost shot her. I almost killed her. I almost killed my baby.

"Daddy," she says again.

"I'm sorry, baby. I'm so sorry," I say sobbing.

She pulls back and looks at me. I look into her eyes, into her blue eyes. I see the sweet eyes that looked at me when she was born when she smiled at me. I see the curious eyes that stared at me when I caught her following me. I see the determined eyes that looked back at me during training. I see the loving eyes that looked at me when she discovered who she was. Now, I see the understanding, all consuming blue eyes that look back at a broken man.

"I love you, daddy," she says. That's all she has to say. I hug her again.

"I love you too, Tyler Bliss Coulter," I whisper into her ear."

As much as we both want to stay here, we know we have to stop Jeanine. She's in charge of this attack. I know that now. She wants to overtake Abnegation and use Dauntless to do it.

We follow the soldiers in an attempt to find Jeanine. We hear gunshots and then we hear fire being returned. We run to the source of the sound to find Four and Tris.

"What's happening?" Tris asks me.

"Jeanine. Erudite is trying to overthrow Abnegation. They're using Dauntless to do it." I explain to her. "We need to know where they're controlling the soldiers from."

"Dauntless headquarters," I voice responds behind me.

I turn to see a man and woman dresses in gray. Both are armed. A man in Erudite blue is with them.

"Mom! Dad! Caleb!" I hear Tris exclaim. This is her family.

"Tris," the man I now know as Andrew says. He turns his head to me. "Jeanine is controlling the Dauntless soldiers from Dauntless headquarters."

We can't just go through the front door, so we take the route that the initiates usually take. Andrew and Caleb don't seem thrilled about this, but they're going along with it. Natalie had to be a Dauntless born. She gets on and off the train with ease and actually seems to be enjoying herself.

We reach the roof and Natalie is the first to jump. Tris laughs. Tyler follows, along with Andrew, Tris and Caleb. Four is hating this. I can tell.

"C'mon ya big wimp," I say teasing him. "I'll jump with you."

Finally, Four and I jump. We hit the net, and Tris helps him off, while Ty helps me off. We then sprint towards where Jeanine is controlling the soldiers. We get past the guards in the hallway with ease. When we reach the control center, we come face to face with Max and Lauren and some other higher ranking guards.

This'll be fun.

We struggle a little more taking down these guys than we did with the other guards. We have almost won when I hear a scream. I turn to see Max has Tyler and is pointing a gun at her temple.

"I'd suggest you drop your weapons," he says looking at us. I sigh, hang my head and drop my gun. The rest follow suit.

"You had to know she'd be an easy target, Eric. I mean c'mon," he says smirking.

He can't. He can't take her. She's my world. She's all I have. I won't let him.

Then the unexpected happens. Tyler swings her leg to take out Max's. She pulls a gun out of her holster, and shoots Max's hand that's holding the gun, which he drops.

"Who are you calling an easy target, jerk?" She snaps at him.

His eyes are wide. He's actually a little scared of her. I can't help but smile.

"That's my girl."

We reach Jeanine soon enough and shut down the attack.

It's over. After 20 years, it's over.
———————-
Song: Monster by Imagine Dragons