Chapter 22

Sixteen and a half years ago...

It has been a long night. I just can't believe it. This can't happen. I had another fling a couple of months ago. I had been trying to contact her, but she refused to talk to me. Now, I know why... a baby. I can't believe it. I just can't. She can't be pregnant. This week can't get any crazier. There's buzz in Erudite. There has been for four years. It's like crazy came with the Stiff. Tris seems to have brought the trouble with her. Then, literally yesterday, I was shot at. This isn't the first time. I've been attack several times since the Stiff's initiation. I'm clearly a target.

I can't handle a kid. There's no way I can do it. I don't want a kid. She doesn't either. We don't want to kill the kid because, well, it deserves a chance. Abortion just isn't an option. It never was. I don't know what to do.

I'm headed to the mess hall for breakfast. I'll catch her there. I have to talk to her. I guess she's my responsibility now since this is kind of my fault. I see her walking in. She looks scared, more scared than I've ever seen her.

"Charlie," is all I can manage to say.

She looks at me with hatred and disgust.

"This is your fault," she says.

"I'm sorry, but we can't do anything about it now. We have to address it though."

"Fine," she snaps.

We walk out of the mess hall and back to my apartment. We sit on the couch. I look at her belly. She's barely showing. I look for a few moments at her and... at my child.

"What do we do?" she asks me.

"I don't know, Charlie. I don't know." I look at her. Her eyes are filled with fear. "We're gonna give her her best chance."

"Her?" She looks at me confused.

"Trust me. I've got this gut feeling and you know what? She's gonna be strong. She'll be brave. She will be Dauntless."

Why am I saying this? I don't even want this child... or do I?

Charlie isn't smiling. She has no interest in taking care of a kid. I say something I never thought I'd say in my life...

"If you don't want to take her... I will."

She looks shocked. I'm shocked myself, because every word I just said was true. She's mine. She always will be. This wasn't how I planned my life exactly, but this is how it is. Now, I have decided, my job... is to protect my baby.
—————————
Song: Womanizer by Britney Spears