Chapter 4

In that moment, I decide that I might have made a mistake. Eric Coulter stares back at me with fury in his eyes. I've never been afraid of him like everyone else, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared right now.

    "Where exactly did you think you were headed?" Eric says in a rather stern voice.

    "Ummm..." Oh no. I need to think of something fast, but nothing is coming to me.

    "I asked you a question." He states.

    "I... I'm not sure."

    "I think I know. You've followed me for the past two months."

    What? He saw me?

    "Yes. I saw you. Did you really think I didn't?" He almost laughs as if he can read me thoughts.

    I look around nervously... anywhere but into his steel eyes. I'm scared of their harsh exterior, but I'm also more scared of what's behind them. He still hasn't released me so running isn't an option. Well, I guess it never was.

    "So I guess the question is," he starts, "Why have you been following me?"

    His voice is still stern, but not as much. It's also a curious tone, but that's not it. It's filled with something else... certainty. It's almost as if he knows why. But how would he possibly know why I was following him? Better yet, how am I gonna explain why?

    "I'm not entirely sure," I say with my voice almost trembling.

    He stares at me for a second before he speaks.

    "Somehow, I doubt you have a death wish, so answer my question. Why?"

    "I... I..." I attempt to speak with my eyes darting everywhere.

    "Look at me when you are addressing me." His voice has regained its stern manner. He is becoming impatient.

    I look straight into his eyes and try to speak.

    "I'm curious," is all I can get out of my mouth.

    "Curious?" Now he is laughing. For what reason, I don't know. "So you think that following a leader, me especially, and risk getting caught is worth trying to appease your curiosity?"

    "Yes," I say with the most confident voice I can come up with.

    He looks slightly surprised.

    "Ok then," he simply says. "Well hate the break it to you, but you got caught. Now, who are you so that I can take you back to your parents?" This he says with a little bit of an annoyed tone.

    "Tyler Eaton."