Epilogue

The crowd roared as their new Queen stepped out onto the balcony, flower petals cascading down above her. Even though their King, their beautiful, wise, kind King, had not produced an heir, they were no less overjoyed when his niece had come in to fill the role. She was beautiful and regal, and if their King believed she would be what their kingdom needed, they would place their trust in him as they have over his two decades of reign. Their blind King had brought them fame, wealth, and overwhelming happiness. 

They were ready for another two decades more.

Alina waved to the crowd, a bright smile on her face as her mother and father watched on. After her appearance, the crowd's cries of support still piercing her ears, Alina stepped back inside the palace. Keir and Guin waited for her, the new Queen curtseying before them before Keir pulled her into a warm hug. Out of all of her distant relatives, Uncle Keir had always been her favourite. When she was younger, she had thought he was the most handsome man in the world even if he had no eyes, until she met her stablehand lover, who Keir had personally sent for before her family had arrived in her new home. It had been his welcome gift to her, one that beat all the jewels and flowers that others had given her. 

"I can't feel my legs, Uncle," Alina said breathlessly, the heavy crown on her head weighing her shoulders down. Keir laughed, pinching the girl's nose playfully, before Guin linked her arm with the new Queen. 

"I will show you all the perks a Queen has access to in this castle," Guin said, eyes gleaming mischievously, Alina giggling. "And Keir, you are not invited. You have a lot of preparing to do, anyhow."

"Must you really leave, Uncle?" Alina asked, eyes downcast at the thought of her beloved Uncle leaving so soon after she had taken over his mantle. 

"I have already shown you everything there is for me to show you. Your stays here were not always about the fun, Alina, but they have already prepared you for what you are to do now," Keir said, brushing his thumb over the girl's full cheek, Alina nodding glumly.

"I will see you off later, then," Alina said, Keir nodding gently at his niece, who was then pulled away by Guin, who started whispering in hushed tones about whatever womanly secrets she had hidden in her home.

As he watched his successor walk down the halls looking so at home amongst the tapestries and the portraits, Keir felt his heart lighten. He had been waiting for this moment for so long. To be free.

~~~

Rose stepped in front of Lucas, her hands gently pulling his tie tighter. Smoothing out the crinkles in the front of his shirt, Rose looked up at the man who had stood by her side for the past twenty-or-so years, the memories she has shared with him flooding through her.

"I am happy for you," Rose said, kissing her husband softly. Lucas gave her a sad smile, brushing a tendril of hair behind her ear.

"But are you happy?" Lucas whispered, Rose thinking for a moment. She remembered the times she spent with Lucas walking through their gardens, the first time he held her, his face when he saw their son for the first time. She remembered running about the fields with her children, them snuggling into the crook of her arm as they slept, and reading them fairytales at night. Even if he had not given her his heart, he had given her so much more. 

"I am," Rose said, Lucas's shoulders loosening with the two words. "Truly. You'll look after him, won't you?" Rose peered into her husband's eyes, her mouth pulling down into a frown.

"I will," Lucas promised, kissing Rose's forehead tenderly. 

Rose felt satisfied, her brother's face coming into mind. He had given up everything he had for her happiness, when he was a child and when he was a man. It was her turn to give everything she had for him. Her dearest twin brother.

~~~

The two princes waved out of the carriage, their shoulders bumping together as the carriage pulled away, their shared family becoming mere dots of colour in the distance. They were silent,  knees brushing as they stiffly sat on opposite sides of the carriage. Keir's eyes drifted aimlessly in Lucas's torso area, his hands resting on his lap as his body bumped up and down with the movement of the carriage. Lucas thought he looked breathtaking, the same way he felt when he saw him for the first time. It was a surreal feeling, and Lucas wondered - hoped - that Keir would have felt the same if he could see him. 

As if hearing Lucas's thoughts, Keir smiled, reaching his hand forward to feel for the empty slither of space next to Lucas, gracefully moving across. Placing his hand on Lucas's lap, Keir breathed out heavily as he leaned his head on his lover's shoulder. 

"I can't tell how you're feeling if you don't tell me," Keir said, voice tougher than how Lucas last remembered it, the sound making his blood boil. "You feel tense, Lucas." His name on the man's tongue made him want to cry, his arms pulling Keir's shoulders into his body, burying his face into the man's hair. 

"Say it again," Lucas said, voice shaking. "Say my name again." Lucas felt Keir smile, the man's arms wrapping around his neck, fingers tangling in his hair. 

"Lucas."

"Again," Lucas demanded, Keir chuckling, the rumble of his chest crashing through Lucas.

"Lucas."

"I'm not imagining you, am I?" Lucas breathed, Keir shaking his head. 

"This is real. Tomorrow has come," Keir said, voice thick as the emotions he had held at bay for so long broke free of their dam, drowning them both. Lucas pulled back, capturing Keir's face in his hands as he kissed him with twenty years worth of passion. Keir kissed back with as much heat as he gave, and Lucas knew that the man did not feel anything less than what he did. 

As they reached the gate of the northern mansion, their distant memories returning to the last time they had come here, the two of them laughed as they kissed and embraced and murmured their renewed vows. 

The mansion where their hearts had first come together was now their home, where they would live out their...

Happily ever after.

A/N: And with that, my first story on here has come to an end! Thanks so much for making it to the end - I am forever grateful :)