11. Veil

Rose hummed happily as she gazed at a display of flowers in an intricate glass vase, the vibrant colours only overshadowed by her own beauty. The ballroom had turned into an overflowing flower display, the royal botanist enlisting the help of the most expert florists to showcase possible floral arrangements for her wedding. 

"Lucas, Lucas!" Rose called, waving her hands to an arrangement filled with pastel flowers. "These are lovely, what do you think?" Linking her arms with her fiancé's, she leaned in close to his body, head resting on his shoulder. 

"I don't think you should be relying on my taste in flowers for our wedding," Lucas admitted, laughing awkwardly as Rose giggled, giving him a lingering kiss on the cheek, before snuggling into his arm. Lucas smiled down at his soon-to-be bride, who smiled serenely as she picked up a neatly clipped flower, eyes closing as she breathed in its sweet scent. 

"These smell nice as well. How about we just choose these ones," Rose decided, Lucas nodding in agreement. Taking the flower from his fiancé's hand, he shortened the elongated stem and placed it behind her ear, the white flower complimenting the darkness of her hair and the fairness of her complexion. Stroking a loose slither of hair behind his lover's ear, he leaned down to plant a tentative kiss on her lips. Rose sighed happily, melting into his touch. Rose's lips were warm and chaste and slightly sweet, Lucas finding comfort in them. 

As they pulled apart, Lucas noticed Keir approaching them from his perophery, his arms quickly dropping to his side as he stepped away from Rose quickly. The back of his hand wiped his lips quickly, before freezing as his eyes widened. 

'Why does it feel so wrong to be seen kissing my betrothed?' Lucas mumbled in his mind, his heart hammering. Rose didn't notice his sudden distance as she pulled her brother into a hug, before pressing her hand against his healing waist. It had been two weeks since Keir's injury, and the wound was healing steadily, the prince able to walk around the palace grounds without assistance. The sutures holding the puckered skin together had been removed, and the healing salve helped hasten the mending process a large amount, the skin around the wound now just pink and raw. The darkness under Keir's eyes had also cleared, his flesh rediscovering its usual radiant glow and natural flush. 

"We decided on these flowers, brother," Rose announced, pointing to the white and cream flowers sitting beside them.

"Excellent taste, as always, my dear sister," Keir complimented, earning a happy kiss on the cheek from Rose. 

"We're about to taste some of the dishes to be served at the wedding," Rose told him, returning to Lucas's side and relinking her arm with his. Keir averted his eyes from their linked arms, tugging his lips up in a false smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "You should accompany us, brother!"

"No, I'm alrigh-"

"Ah, ah, ah," Rose interrupted, pulling her brother's arm. "I won't take no for an answer."

"Rosenwyn," Keir said sharply, Rose stopping abruptly, giving her brother a withering look at his use of her full name. Softening, Keir opened his mouth again. "Rose, I would really rather not accompany the two of you."

"And why not?" Rose asked stubbornly, raising her brow questioningly as she pursed her red lips.

'Because I can't stand seeing you stand beside him.'

"Because I'd be of no use to you. My palate isn't as refined as yours, I'd just approve of everything they feed me even if it's complete cow's dung," Keir said, Rose rolling her eyes.

"We both know that you're pickier with food than I am, brother," Rose scolded, resuming her hurried pace as she dragged a very reluctant Keir by the arm, as if he were a child and not a grown man. "As your older sister, I command you to accompany us."