26. His Northern Woman

"This is the worst," Lucas grumbled to himself, crossing his ankle over his knee as he leaned his elbow on the ledge of the carriage window despite the cold metal making the hairs on his arm prickle. The young prince glanced at the empty seat across from him which had been empty for quite a few hours now, with Keir deciding that the atmosphere in the carriage was too much to handle and hopped out to ride the remainder of the laborious journey to the northern countryside on horseback. Lucas was glad, as the tension between the two princes, heavy with unsaid words and awkward small talk, was giving him a headache.

The two princes were accompanied by a small handful of armed guards, a steward each and the coachman, a fat man whose stomach was a sneeze away from popping the buttons off his bloated waistcoat. The well-sized party had almost arrived at Guinevere's family estate, and Keir's mansion of exile. The trip had turned into some kind of twisted stag night, Rose pushing the two princes to go on a short journey together to relax before the big wedding. If only she knew, though.

A knock on the carriage door made Lucas pull the frosted curtain blocking the window back, revealing Keir's snow-white face, which had a tight smile painted over his cherry red mouth. 

"We're almost here, Lucas," Keir informed, Persephone whining in relief as a large stone mansion pulled into view. Though much smaller than Lucas's, and even Keir's, home palace, it was by no means any less beautiful. A luscious garden full of winter flowers bloomed in waves across the front of the castle, a frozen fountain situated in the centre, the once flowing water locked into a majestic arc of ice that glistened in the sunlight. Soft snow coated the tall trees leading up to the front of the mansion,  Lucas peering out of the window curiously. 

Lucas had rarely ventured into northern country, and even then he had only visited the larger cities in the area. Guinevere's family estate was a decent carriage ride from the city centre in a more mountainous region, the estate's tall metal fencing melting into the mountains that lay at its back. As they approached the mansion, Lucas could see a single speck of colour amongst the shades of grey and white standing at the entrance of the mansion.

Lucas's view was suddenly obscured by Persephone's behind, as Keir kicked her back gently, nudging her to quicken her pace, galloping ahead of the carriage. Lucas could only watch from the confines of his carriage as Keir swiftly dismounted his horse, who had barely stopped before the prince's lithe body had hit the ground, his long arms immediately wrapping around the little dot of colour in the distance. Lucas narrowed his eyes, rubbing them slightly, as the dot of colour focused into an image of a woman in a vibrant emerald green gown, her face hidden from view as it pressed into Keir's neck in a bundle of bright auburn hair. Lucas felt vile jealousy churn inside him, and slammed his fist on his chest to quieten it. It did not listen.

Guinevere's servants rushed forward as the carriage pulled up to the front, taking over the reigns of the horses as they began to unload the luggage that had been tethered to the top of the carriage. Lucas was already out of the coach and striding towards Keir before the servants even opened his door, their bodies faltering in surprise as he walked past them. 

"Oh, how I've missed you so!" Guinevere cried, pressing her hands against Keir's cheeks, her smile dropped as her fingers felt his sharp cheekbones and hollow cheeks. "You have become a little gaunt, Keir. Are you unwell?" 

Keir's eyes softened as he gazed at his closest friend, placing his larger hands on top of hers as she cradled his cheeks, before taking one and placing a soft kiss on her palm. 

"I'm alright," Keir assured her, her eyes still full with worry. "Just things with father, and my exile, Rose's wedding. It's one thing reading about it in a letter, but it's so much more overwhelming when you're living it." Guin nodded, understanding, her eyes flitting away from his to peer over his shoulder, rising her shorter frame onto her toes.