7. Forest Fire

A week passed by quickly, and King Frederic returned to his own kingdom, which had been without a monarch in its throne for too long. Though Keir wasn't present on the steps of the palace as his carriage pulled away, Frederic noticed a shadowed figure watching from the balcony of his son's guest chambers. That was enough for hope to blossom in his old, withered heart, his eyes not leaving the lean figure on the balcony until the trees obscured his view.

Lucas and Keir had continued to develop their brotherly bond over the course of that week, the two sharing meals together and discussing their shared interest in riding and hunting. Rose, who often mentioned happily that it almost seemed like she had two brothers, though Keir pointed out that one couldn't marry a brother without setting some tongues wagging. Though winter in the South was far more mild than that of the North, which seemed always be cold or colder, some days were still overcast and miserable, the two princes sharing their distaste for being stuck indoors, though Rose deeply enjoyed their company while she embroidered silk handkerchiefs or arranged flowers. 

On days like today, where the sun had pushed away the clouds and the drizzle, Lucas and Keir spared no delay in mounting their horses with their bows strapped to their backs, with freshly sharpened arrows nested securely in their quivers. Lucas had sent word ahead that they would be venturing out for a private hunt, and for the horses to be already tethered to the forest's entrance beforehand. 'For convenience,' Lucas convinced himself, and certainly not to avoid a certain stablehand with unsavoury fingers. 

After riding deeper into the forest, where the castle's tall spires were no longer visible without climbing the tallest of the tall birch trees, Lucas and Keir retied their horses to the sturdiest of the trunks, before continuing their hunt on foot. The two princes walked side-by-side, stepping lightly on the uneven terrain, their boots a mere rustle under their feet. They spoke little as to not disturb their prey, their eyes and hands conveying their thoughts easily enough. 

Lucas, with the abundant forests within a walk's reach since birth, he had been a proficient hunter since he could hold a bow. He had been surprised, and thoroughly impressed, when Keir had stolen the first kill, his arrow flying in a graceful arc into the neck of an oblivious rabbit before Lucas even nocked his arrow. It had almost played out in slow motion, time seeming to stand still as to savour Keir's divine form for even a fraction longer. 

His hair, tied tightly with cord at his neck, revealed a chiseled face still with concentration. Muscled arms remained still and taut as he pulled back his bowstring, his slender fingers both relaxed yet strained as he raised his boy. His lower lip pressed sultrily against the trembling bowstring, his blue eyes unblinking as he released the arrow, which embedded itself in its target with ease. As he straightened his back, time seemed to swoon at the sight before continuing to flow. 

He had been beautiful.

Distracted the first time by Keir's figure, Lucas vowed to himself that he would not miss the second. A second rabbit had hopped out from behind a berry bush, its nose twitching in the morning air, large eyes alert. Before it could sense their presence, Lucas had released an arrow, which lodged itself in the rabbit's abdomen. It hopped hopelessly two stone throws away, before collapsing. Lucas flushed as Keir patted him on the back for his kill, his hand hot and lingering through the layers lining Lucas's shoulder blades. Before the heat from the sudden touch subsided, Keir had already picked up the two rabbits and strung them together by their legs, slinging them over his pack. 

"We should head further in," Keir announced, pointing past two birch trees that looked almost like gate posts. "There will probably be some bigger game deeper in, unless you're content just hunting rabbits."

"I was about to offer the same idea," Lucas said, grinning. "Just wasn't sure if you could keep up."

"Are you teasing me now, Lucas?" Keir laughed, playfully shoving Lucas's chest. "Who was it that got the first kill again?"