32. His Fairest

Guards rushed outside as they heard Lucas's anguished cry, panic quickly ensuing as they saw their prince hunched over on the ground, holding his injured hand to his chest as sobs wracked his body. 

"Healers! Where are the healers?!" a guard shouted, guests gasping as they were pushed back by guards. A guard gagged despite himself as he looked at the prince's left hand, the skin raw and peeling as the blisters oozed, mixing with blood as the thick liquid dripped down his arm. Lucas's wedding band had melted into his skin, the once delicately carved gold now embedded in an ugly circle around what remained of his finger. The prince's hand smelled charred, like meat on a spit, a healer quickly pushing past him to kneel beside the prince, eyes widening as he saw the damage. Lucas cried out in pain as the healer touched his hand, the poor woman freezing. Lucas gritted his teeth between sobs, giving the healer a hard look. 

"Just do it," he pushed out, the frail girl nodding, drenching a clean bandage in some sort of healing tonic, before layering it on top of his festering flesh. Lucas bit down a cry as the wet bandage stung like nothing he had ever felt before, his skin hot and inflamed, the non-bandaged sections still steaming. 

"Your Highness!" the Captain of the Guard called, rushing over to the ghastly scene, sweat beaded on his brow. Duncan kneeled before the prince, not bothering with formalities as the prince grasped his shoulder tightly, fingers digging into the older man's muscle painfully. 

"She took him," Lucas choked out, hissing as the healer placed another damp bandage on his arm, the girl nearly crying herself as the prince shook with pain and sorrow. "The witch. Keir. They're gone. He's gone." Each clipped sentence was a struggle, each word punctuated by a sob or pained cry. 

"What is going on here?" Lucas's father's booming voice echoed, as guards pushed back the growing crowd of wedding guests, some who blanched at the gory scene, others watching with disgusting interest in what was unfolding before them. Lucas's father stepped forward, Rose trailing behind him frantically, as well as Keir's own father. When she saw her husband on the ground, she gasped, running forward with her white dress in her hands. Not caring if the pristine white material was soiled, she fell to her knees beside Lucas, wrapping shaky arms around his shoulders. His blood dripped onto her skirt, the redness against the white reminding him of Keir. 

"Son," Lucas's father said, his wife stifling her soft sobs as she leaned into him. "Save your breath. We must tend to your wounds first." Lucas shook his head, beside himself as fresh tears surface, spilling down his cheeks. He couldn't look at Rose's form beside him, her face too similar to Keir's, her image making his heart shatter. 

"Keir's gone, father!" Lucas shouted, "I can't sit idly when she has taken him." His brother-in-law. The man he loves.

"Prince Keir, Your Majesty," Duncan filled in, Rose blanching. "I fear this was the witch's doing."

As the pain in his hand overflowed, Lucas felt his mind begin to leave him, eyes growing dark. The last thing he heard was a chorus of cries as his body fell forwards, Keir's name on his lips.

~~~

Four Months Later

After seeing her father off, Rose watched as her husband brushed past her without even a word, stormy eyes not glancing at his wife. Rose's heart fell, not even bothering to call out for her love. Since her brother's disappearance at the hands of her step-mother, Lucas had never been the same. At first, Rose found her grief mirroring his, the two of them sitting up in their bed at night silently, Rose sobbing into her pillow as Lucas stared up into the ceiling, his right hand clenched tightly into a fist as his healing left trembled in fear and anger. The first week rolled by, and Rose was still stricken with anguish for her brother, unable to sleep at all. Then the second week came, and she still cried herself to sleep, though she could manage to fall asleep with fatigue most nights. The third week was similar, her sobbing reducing to controlled sniffles.